Itemization in WoW Classic

I’ve played a few PS’s as well as vanilla originally, BGs or not, people are still going to be out ganking for hours on end on pvp. So really… no point in bothering thinking too hard about it, people just go do something else if they’re camped.

This is the self same argument raised about a month ago by some private server bad boy. They want battleground in earlier than planned so they can rush the honor system with their team of ps super killers. They seem to understand that Phase 2 is not going to be the best time to control the rank ladder and are trying to frighten us all into pushing Blizzard to make a change that would be to their benefit. No surprise its a first post.

The argument is a little softer in tone this time because their ps bravado didn’t fly very well over here last time.

1 Like

I am in no way a “ps super killer”. I am trying to look at this through the lens of server health. I do love pvp and have always played on a pvp server. I will never have the time to get rank 14, maybe not even 10 (40hr week job, wife, kids, house, yard). This being said, I also don’t want to roll on a pvp server if the health of that server is going to be neutered by those “ps super killers” who will be out in the world controlling the rank ladder because they can play for 16+ hours a day. While it may be “harder to control” that does not mean people who are as dedicated to the game and pvp as Steve Jobs was to Apple will not be able to control the brackets.

As I stated before I believe that the pvp servers in general will suffer significant population loss during that Phase 2 to Phase 3 window, and once that rock starts going downhill it will be hard to stop it.

How do we ensure that pvp servers have an influx of new 60s to replace those who burn out, “beat the game”, hit their rank, have RL happen ect, if we are creating an environment so hostile to reaching 60 that most give up?

On the aforementioned server I had a 60 already, did some of the world ganking (only hit rank 7), and was slowly leveling an alt. I quit playing the alt at around level 50 because the amount of 60’s with gear running around killing anything that moved was mind boggling. I even stopped logging as much on my 60 as I was bis and farming mats in the world was just a waste of time during that period, and I didn’t have the resources (time) to hit much more than rank 10 if all I did was pvp during play time. The environment such a release helps to create is one of much less time invested by those who are not NEETs, people leaving the server, or the game entirely. As a business Blizzard is in it to make $, and having people invest less time in their product, leave a server, or quit is not in their best interest. They want healthy thriving servers, and I do to. @eaglesgift What do you suggest be done, would you care to contribute to the concerns I share?

EDIT It was my first post because when they migrated their forums, I don’t remember how long ago, all my prior posts got wiped. I used to post every now and then on the Kil’Jaeden forums and a few others during Vanilla, but have only lurked from Wrath on. Thanks for the assumption though!

1 Like

Maybe I should have posted from this toon… I am Cheetaria

I guess it also depends on how long Phase 2 (dm, kazzak, azuregos) will be. I’m guessing here but Phase two sounds like a shorter lived transitional phase, and would be shorter, relative to other phases like Phase 1 and 3.

The main point I wanted to get across was that based on how competitive ranking will be, not many players (there of course will always be those exceptions) will be ranking that high that quickly to be decked out in epic pvp gear by Phase 3 (BWL). Even the try hards will likely barely reach rank 10 for full pvp blues before BWL comes out IF PHASE 2 is short.

If Phase two is long (3+ months) then yes, a higher percentage of players will at least have their pvp blues before BWL.

How about you go super slow and add items to the loot tables regressively as in, devolving into their previous 1.5 states like, not taking away the 1.12 versions, release those at start BUT AS YOU FIND PREVIOUS VERSIONS just add em in as well.

Can you please still look for and add back in all those cool old items original versions as they are discovered same as old AV??

Be funnier if they kept incremental patches and updating itemizatons with little pop ups saying…“are you sure you want to vendor that” or better yet have a choice of either knowing or not knowing the final outcome.

Of course that would probably create two phase groups at least until the last stage at 1.12.

Half the experience is dealing with bugs, exploits, kiting elites into cities, but they are right. Most already know and if they don’t know there’s the wayback machine.

It, unfortunately will be a 5 star museum experience, and not filled with the unexpected hiccups unless they relate to how they handle population control. If anything, none of us will have crap computers like i had in 2004 nor a PoS Internet.

God… pretty sure I had like 10mbps or less DSL at that point…

1 Like

I was in college and had a T1, but at home the Internet was rough. I’d run into black walls in D2.

I would hope that we could even have large world PvP be successfully implemented and not turn into a giant lag monster. Cause I’ll be there on the PVP servers since that is where I used to play.

Goes to show just how hard the original version was. Shame that most/all of the nerfs weren’t documented, and an even greater shame that no backups of that time even exist.

1 Like

This is the only reason why I want progressive itemization in Classic. This is my concern and I truly feel like Blizzard and the community at large dont understand the implications of this decision.

The point people are trying to make is that with 1.12 items and 1.12 talents MC and BWL could very likely present no challenge to people entering the raids for the first time. It could be possible that Rag never gets to phase 2 in Classic because of the increased player power with 1.12 items and talents.

I dont believe its Vanilla for raids to get crushed as if every raid is Method and they are doing LFR.

I am not asking for MC or BWL to be the equivalent of a Mythic raid in BFA but I really think the raid needs to feel dangerous and I dont think MC or BWL will be if the raids are re-tuned or Blizzard does progressive itemization.

I don’t quite get why people are obsessed with ramping up the difficulty of MC. We’re not doing this to get a new game. This isn’t the new “progression content”. If you want to race to the end boss, play Retail. WoW Classic is not going to be WoW Vanilla in that respect, because as they say, you can’t unlearn everything. Attempting to recreate your emotions or inexperience is impossible, so they’re going to recreate it as it was, as best they can.

WoW Classic won’t have changed. Only you.

7 Likes

I want to clarify that I wasn’t trying to argue against progressive itemisation. I understand that having certain 1.12 items will make some raids noticeably easier if players have them, and I’d be fine with Blizzard using progressive itemisation for Classic. The point I was trying to make is that re-tuning content would result in a final product that is not vanilla, as it would introduce enemy stats that never existed during vanilla into Classic; 1.12 stats at each items introduction, although not ideal for many, did exist during vanilla.

So…just to clarify…

All quests (and i presume the extra FPs) added in a later patch will arrive in the phase that patch is included in?

Thank you for the update. It is interesting to see how all this progresses.

Truly a sad day, I wanted my Druid T2 pants to have +arcane damage on them.

And yet, the Blue post at the top of the thread says his reason for them not putting in progressive itemization is that they don’t want players guessing.

That’s why I made the point. Some players will plan ahead and farm, some won’t and will just play the game just like many of us did in Vanilla.

Long story short, Blizzard is wrong in their thinking and they are just being shortsighted and lazy, ie they are just developing WoW Classic exactly like they did everything post TBC.

Oh man I like this guy! QFT.

What you are describing though is not in Birmingham’s skill sets. It just isn’t his forte.

He’s doing his best with what he knows. But quite frankly he just doesn’t know any better and there isn’t anyone on that team to show him.

1 Like

I want to know what is going to happen with blue PvP gear. The 58 gear were different items from the 60 gear, so 1.12 itemization did not change the blue gear. Availability is from a vendor, and the vendor list changed when the 60 gear was added, so I assume this is going to be phase based?