Itemization in WoW Classic

Are we allowed to stay in classic and never go back to all the other xpacs? I really did not like anything other than classic wow

I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask, but here I go: I am seeing a lot of vids (obviously from private servers) where Hunters have equipped both Rhok’delar and Lok’delar; will this be so in the official version of Classic?

Thanks…

In 1.12, Hunters had access to both items simultaneously.

:cocktail:

It will. It was changed because it removed your scopes/enchantments every time you switched modes.

Great post! This is all important information to know going into classic. I just wanted to ask if there will be any exceptions made when it comes to progressive itemization, as it may change the game in certain cases for particularly powerful items.

The main item in question is Thunderfury. When Thunderfury is first made available it is a Main-hand weapon, which of course means it cannot be placed into the offhand. However, as classic came to a close and BC release was on the horizon, Thunderfury was altered to become a one-handed weapon. This made it usable in the offhand which had a drastic effect on its viability as a dps weapon (particularly for rogues). With your currently described plan, this means Thunderfury would be a one-hand weapon from start to finish of classic. This would allow rogues and dps warriors (tanks also, ironfoe + tf dw tank hype?) to use it in their offhands for the entirety of classic. Not saying this is good or bad necessarily, just an observation.

The same is true to a lesser extent for items such as Azuresong Mageblade, which as I recall had no spell power on it to begin with, just 1% crit. Later on with the release of a later patch it was altered to have 40 spell power in addition to 1% crit. This admittedly does not matter all that much, it will just result in an overall power increase for casters in the early months of classic.

Anyway, just wondering if the case of Thunderfury had been thought about by your team at all and if there were plans to make any exceptions to the design implementation of progressive itemization. Thanks for all of your work on Classic and fingers crossed that the beta server appears in my launcher eventually!

1 Like

Based on what they’ve said Thunderfury will be one handed, and not drop until Content Patch 3, roughly 8 months in, at the same time as BWL’s launch.

it was changed in 1.12, so yeah it’ll most likely be one-handed.

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been searching for any original 1.12 information - patch notes, documentation, etc… I downloaded the WoW Classic game manual PDF (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/wowclassic). Can I assume the game manual is based on 1.12?

I’ve re-subbed and opted-in for the beta. I’m hoping I get in to try it out. I can’t wait to see the amazing work your all are doing to restore this game. :sunglasses::heart_eyes:

Question:

From Launch through 1.9, Gyth in UBRS dropped a green plate helm called “Skull of Gyth”. It had no +Def.

Beginning in 1.10 Gyth started dropping a blue plate helm called “Gyth’s Skull” instead. It had +9 defense.

Does the blue +Def hat count as a “new” item in 1.10 that won’t be present till phase 5? Or will we see the 1.10 version at launch instead of the original green hat?

If present at launch, the blue version is essentially a pre-raid BiS tanking hat with as much Def as the Enchanted Thorium Helm.

1 Like

Loot tables will be updated with items and drops, so I imagine we’ll see the original item, which will disappear for the new item.

Yikes. I’m on the fence about this. I think us Vets who were there at launch would all agree that this will change some things and the overall original experience. I mean that I understand to a degree why they are going with this but at the same time I do not. I am the kind of player that will still give it a try though and see how it goes. I mean it could be for the betterment or the worst, hoping for the latter. I think the thing that bothers me about this is the fact that as many other’s have said most private servers are able to bring back the original experience, which I was personally looking for. Because back when it all started it was hard to find gear and to me that IS a big deal. It was one of the reasons I enjoyed progression in the game.(both pvp and pve). I don’t know, I hope for the best is all I can say…

But I am kinda disappointed , not gonna lie. :(:disappointed_relieved:

Oliver Schories @ Fusion 2018

super good set friends.

LOL yeah bye…hit the bricks. One less :cry: :baby: to listen to!

Hmm so items like the Scarlet Tabard should be in from the start right?

anyone else curious about the original epic mounts? When classic first had epic mounts they were armorless and in a later patch were replaced with armored ones but people who bought the armorless still had theirs as a separate item. Will there be a chance to get them again? or will it start off as the armored type? would love a chance at armorless.

No.

@Kaivax,
Thank you for the clarification on this topic. I was wondering myself what pieces of gear I would be chasing based on how their stats changed before BC. Now I don’t have to chase and hold onto gear the same way I did in vanilla. I look forward to the release.

If there was one huge thing missing in WoW 1.12, it was proper druid gear for feral. Sure, a feral druid could easily tank many bosses in the game, but the weird nonsense you had to pull in order to acquire this made many equipment drops pointless, since all of their tier gear was to merely bolster their one and only purpose: Innervate + Battle Rez.

All I ask of you, Blizzard, is throw in a single mace or staff or shimmy in ‘tanking leather’ for each tier for we druids to seek out that gives us that sliver of stat needed. I say this because, I hated how someone pulling a warrior for pve meant they were destined to either tank a boss or quit, and someone pulling a druid was destined to raid heal and innervate, or quit.

This was all we needed, which you gave druids plenty of in BC. Tanking, Healing, and BOOOOOM-kin gear. It was the ONLY THING vanilla heavily lacked… Just the fear of rolling a druid and being stuck as a raid-healing battle rezzer makes me not want to even bother… and as much as I enjoyed playing a rogue back in the day, I absolutely do not want to do that. I want to experience a druid as a tank, but there are only 3 pieces of leather with defense (and no other stat on them).

I get this is supposed to be 99.9%, but can you tweak it to 99.8% and give a bear a bone?

LMAO look how this turned out.

Mages doing almost 500dps in Molten Core and BiS being green items from 2006 era +Wrath Spellpower