Item rewards that scale to your ilvl is a dumb mechanic

So glad I just did a ridiculously hard assault to get my legendary cloak on a fresh 120. Where my ilvl is like 350… lower than what a boosted character would be at which is 380.

What is my reward for doing hard content for my ilvl? A pair of 355 gloves. While my other character that effortlessly steamrolls through this same content gets 445. The ilvl which this content seems to be scaled and balanced around.

WQs and emissaries follow the same dumb rules. Gotta love how the rewards scale to your ilvl but the enemies you fight sure as hell don’t. I mean i know this is dead content and it won’t matter when prepatch comes and a better source of catchup gear is put in…

But take this as a lesson to never ever do this kind of reward system ever again.

6 Likes

I mean where is the logic in doing a harder challenge yet getting a worse reward?

1 Like

Your 475 item is in the mail right now. Sorry for the trouble.

2 Likes

Scaling rewards are just silly in general. All they do is make it the default mode for getting gear within that gear bracket.

I honestly have no idea why we still have heroic dungeons and such in the LFG menu because they honestly serve absolutely no purpose in the current game and might as well be deleted instead of wasting time to do some sort of balancing with them.

3 Likes

Honestly Normal dungeons should be turned into slightly challenging scaling (solo up to 5 man) scenarios one does to cap a zone story.

This is exactly what happened, in a way, when I was leveling Alliance toons with a friend: we 2-manned the Normal dungeons to complete the quests at the end of the zones. Shrine, Waycrest, Freehold, Tol Dagor. We could do it because of Benthic and Black Empire gear getting us easily into the ilvl 380+ range, which made Normal mode trivial.

And honestly, it was much more satisfying and properly paced and tuned than going guns blazing with a 5 man and missing 99% of the NPC and story. Felt like a proper continuation of overworld questing, with some bosses and RP, and appropriate ilvl 400 blues as rewards for the culmination of the zone where you fight the villain on its own turf.

3 Likes

You won’t be needing to worry about that piece of cloth any longer in 2 weeks or so.
Why bother?

I’m totally lost now.

1 Like

If u try to do uldum or whatever at 350ilvl it would actually probably be really annoying as everything would steamroll you. Its very easy to die at that ilvl if you dont pay attention for a moment.

I didn’t think the ilvl scales the reward in Uldum/Vale.

I could use some salt.

2 Likes

Thank you :rofl:

1 Like

You weren’t levelers at 120 with catch up gear. So remove all leveling dungeons and dump levelers into the mythic+ system when they reach max level, so they can buy carries?

The way they scale dungeon rewards just feel bad. The only way you can ever get an upgrade is if a slot has an exceptionally low ilvl piece of gear in it. Most of the time the gear you get is a downgrade.

Honestly I feel like normal dungeons ironically have more place than heroic dungeons somply as they are still used as levelling dungeons. Although I absolutely agree that there is definitely an opening for them to be flexi dungeons designed for story content.

They could probably reasonably do something like they do with the new player zone where the dungeon experience quite simply gives you a couple of npcs to fill the other roles, or how the proving grounds work for non-dps classes.

Heroic dungeons just don’t do anything though, the gear is sub par to WQ rewards, the queue times are shorter for normal dungeons making them more story/quest appropriate etc, and they don’t really introduce any new mechanics.

They are 100% in the current game absolutely worthless unless for some reason you really want that very slight daily AP reward that you again might as well do a WQ for AP instead.

I’ve done it as a fresh 120 with less ilvl than that on a few characters. It really depends on your class. My Arcane Mage was fine because my burst is so incredibly high.

Arms Warrior on the other hand, is straight up for masochists if you aren’t being carried by somebody as a fresh 120.

Of course if you do it at the right time, you can often just piggy back off other people killing rares and doing events and you don’t really have to do anything but not get hit.

Full heirlooms with 180 trinkets from Legion is the only true way to experience the endgame world content of BfA lol. Keep that ilvl under 280 average.

Admittedly the difficulty is probably a tad too high, although in in all honesty it’s still closer to what it should be rather than the pinata mobs we have when appropriately geared lol.

So hilllllarious…

When did I ask for a 475? I just said it is dumb to do a harder task for lesser reward. If the item reward is going to be garbage at least scale the NPC’s to be easier to kill in garbage gear. Otherwise why bother with scaling rewards at all?

I don’t know either. I wish we’d just go back to having normals and heroics again. Get rid of mythics and make the heroic as challenging and rewarding as mythics were.

Same with raids. Normal is usually easier than LFR ffs, why does it even exist? The “heroic” raid always felt like the “normal” baseline raid. Anything that isn’t in heroic raids gets outdone by WQ, weekly, and emissary gear anyways so it’s doubly redundant.

Getting rid of redundant tiers would also make the scaling be less ridiculous every expansion. we should be able to hit level cap and not feel absolutely useless doing endgame solo junk. But you hit 290 ilvl at 120 and your forced to do content balanced for 380’s for your neck to be placed at 50, and 430’s for your legendary cloak. You can’t even catch up at a decent rate since WQs scale down to your current ilvl and give you only a 5 ilvl upgrade.

The only way to truly catch up in a reasonable amount of time is to get carried by people and have them farm you a set of low M+ ilvl gear. Doing normals to get 400 and heroic dungeons to get 415 is a colossal waste of time.

Like most controversial decisions (end of master looting, the LFD tool, reducing your characters to a single primary stat, Stamina, and a set of 4 or 5 secondary stats you MIGHT get, etc) the decision was actually made based on what would save Blizzard the most time.

It saves dev time (and more specifically, money) when the loot system is all streamlined and requires minimal testing. It both ensures content stays relevant longer while also removing the fear of That Drop™ completely dominating the gear meta for a given class / spec because it was unintentionally broken. Like that one time Blizzard had to nerf gear that dropped in Classic in Burning Crusade because the itemization on it meant it was still relevant at level 70.

Yeah pretty much, they really just need to being back linear progression rather than throwing up on a sheet of paper and using that to determine what gives what quality loot lol

One of my favourite parts of Classic gearing is that every piece of gear is a known quantity that never changes.

1 Like