It would atleast be nice if Blizz explained why

Well, they did make a blue post explaining (somewhat) what the issue was and did apologize, so there’s that at least.

1 Like

Lol they just did

2 Likes

This was a badly timed comment.

1 Like

Since the prepatch has been running on the ptr for a week, and tbc beta for much longer (and in fact the prepatch is basically tbc with the portal closed and toons capped at 60 – both are builds 2.5.1.38707), the only thing that’s left is the cloning service and realm splitting. I’m not geek enuf to know how hard that is, but it really wouldn’t hurt for Blizz to say whats up.

Hey you made them respond! :smiley:

Check out the blue post from Kaivax

this is what is happening
Wow classic was made they had to change and fix all the old broken game code / bugs ect. from vanilla.
TBC classic was made with all the same original bugs and broken game code from vanilla. (since they were using the same game from 2007 with all the original code from both games)… that had to now be merged into the new fixed game code of classic that we play today.

so basically they had to redo work classic twice and TBC once while at the same time merging them together and coping each character and split them between 2 games. without any duplicating exploits and crashing the space time continuum

They use the cloning stuff for the public test realms and don’t have issues with it, so I highly doubt that the cloning is the issue. I think it’s the choice of where to go that is the issue. It might be a pre-patch, but we don’t have access to TBC content yet. Therefore they shouldn’t have that choice of realm option available at this time. Of course I could be wrong.

20m

No one on the WoW team that I’ve talked to this afternoon can remember a maintenance that took this long. It looks like that’s because we’ve never done anything like this in World of Warcraft, where we’re basically turning one game into two games and we need every player-character in both games to be perfectly playable as they all were just before maintenance started.

Please know this: there’s a good reason for how long it’s taking, and our live operations team are making solid progress toward a resolution.

There are jobs that copy data and jobs that check the integrity of data and there’s an immense amount of data to process before we even begin the steps that we take to check everything manually. It’s not possible for us to lose anything, but it is possible for us to have an issue that requires a step to be repeated. In today’s case, the step we had to start over was a big one. While performing data integrity checks on the Burning Crusade Classic and Classic Era realms, we discovered an unfortunate issue with all player mail. The nature of the issue necessitated that we restore the portion of the database that contains that information in order to ensure nothing is lost. We’ve been in progress on this restoration for quite some time, but as you can imagine, it’s a huge amount of information.

We apologize for the delay in getting you back into Azeroth. We’re pretty sure we’ll be done in a few hours. It’s impossible to know with certainty, but our understanding of how long it’s going to take is coming into focus.

"Kaivax
713 posts
Community Manager
24m
No one on the WoW team that I’ve talked to this afternoon can remember a maintenance that took this long. It looks like that’s because we’ve never done anything like this in World of Warcraft, where we’re basically turning one game into two games and we need every player-character in both games to be perfectly playable as they all were just before maintenance started.

Please know this: there’s a good reason for how long it’s taking, and our live operations team are making solid progress toward a resolution.

There are jobs that copy data and jobs that check the integrity of data and there’s an immense amount of data to process before we even begin the steps that we take to check everything manually. It’s not possible for us to lose anything, but it is possible for us to have an issue that requires a step to be repeated. In today’s case, the step we had to start over was a big one. While performing data integrity checks on the Burning Crusade Classic and Classic Era realms, ***

• we discovered an unfortunate issue with all player mail. The nature of the issue necessitated that we restore the portion of the database that contains that information in order to ensure nothing is lost. We’ve been in progress on this restoration for quite some time, but as you can imagine, it’s a huge amount of information.

We apologize for the delay in getting you back into Azeroth. We’re pretty sure we’ll be done in a few hours. It’s impossible to know with certainty, but our understanding of how long it’s going to take is coming into focus."

1 Like

Ah, now I can finally get some sleep.

Cloning has existed for a while now…they have cloning for beta and ptr.

Anyway, their response makes sense. I’m glad they made a response… must have seen my post ;D

It’s always tricky navigating the multiverse, things always get messed up…

so everybody storing 300 BG marks was a bad thing

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.