It took almost 4 months for Blizzard to explain Island Expeditions

Not that it’s a new trend, but doesn’t it feel odd that addons are almost required to make sense of mechanics that Blizzard hasn’t personally made clear?

10 Likes

What I find boggling is that players themselves could have designed a better system. How does Blizzard call this game design?

9 Likes

It’s kind of self explanatory though, is it not? There’s also several addons that tell you what drops from specific mobs O.o

It was never self explanatory and that’s why there needed to be a player wide effort to try to figure out how it works.

7 Likes

Sounds like a good change to me. Atleast everyone will be pulling in the same direction now.

Anyway am I the only cynical bastard who read about the capped drop chance, and their explanation of it. and went yeah sure, that is why you capped the drop rate. So players wouldn’t feel they had to only kill the targeted mobs…

1 Like

I can understand them wanting players to figure things out on their own, but once they saw the friction being caused once players started to split on how to complete the islands, blizzard should’ve been much quicker in addressing this issue.

The new fix will stop people from basically competing against each other when it is supposed to be a team effort, but I’m not sure it will actually be better. If you are looking for a particular item, pet, or mount and now it could drop from anything, it seems like your odds of getting that one thing you are after will actually be worse than it is now and that is saying something since the drop rates are already terrible.

2 Likes

Could you imagine if all Addons were blocked for just one day; how much depth to gameplay would be exposed (whether good or bad) and the amount of attention called to things that addons have helped crutch over the last decade for a game of this scale?

4 Likes

Now we get the test of which creates more tension in groups of strangers: uncertainty over the source of rewards or the relentlessly rush-rush play.

Although I’ve been frustrated by the uncertainty and the conflicts between different objectives this has created, I feel like I need to withhold judgement until we see how the new gameplay actually feels in practice as people start to focus on mix-maxing their runs under the new system.

3 Likes

Reminds me of FFXI back in the day. You had to figure EVERYTHING out in that game. Like crafting success was affected by moon phases and weather kind of figure out. It was really awesome. SE never told us squat. You just had to work together as a community to compare data and figure out how everything worked.

Tl;dr Mystery is a good thing in MMORPGs, in my humble opinion.

What I don’t like is RNG when nothing you do has any effect on the outcome, such as gear from BGs.

3 Likes

Help me out here, what do Island Expeditions do other than give you a way to earn Azerite faster?

1 Like

I am guessing that winning isn’t necessarily the goal of the expedition.

Which I tested the other night. We lost, but farmed all the named and “rare” mobs on the island. Got a pet, a fawn I think, some greem piece of transmog armor and something else.

They can drop pets mounts transmog items and such. I don’t find them very much fun but I do run them sometimes with a group of friends.

2 Likes

expeditions and warfronts are some kind of cruel joke

this is video game content in 2018? free facebook games are more appealing than this.

3 Likes

It’s not designed for the players. It’s designed for the stockholders. RNG, timegating, everything to keep people subbed as long as possible.

11 Likes

Yeah, that’s how it is right now. Which is why people get kicked for trying to win. Which is what I suspect is the reasoning behind the changes they’re implementing. If it works.

I like that better to be honest. Only reason I did them was for the drake and soon the one they are adding. I suppose upgrading armor is good too, but I have found almost on queue, once I cap my armor a new one slightly better drops in the Warfront.

There can be some fun when things are a bit more mysterious but we agree that we didn’t hit that mark exactly and so we are making some changes. As much as we’d like to be able to solve problems right away, sometimes we need to review what people are saying, compare to how they are playing, and from there we can make more informed decisions on changes.

Obviously we hope it feels like an improvement, especially for the collectors out there but as usual, we will then see how these play out and go from there. We do appreciate the feedback!

26 Likes

Why can’t islands just drop loot normally? If I kill a mob it drops a rare toy… I loot it off it’s body.

The cause and effect was what is broken about islands. The AHOY island expedition addon actually made this work a lot better, by re-linking the cause and effect relationship… If I want this, this mob drops it.

6 Likes

In Normal/Heroic mode, I feel like things are just starting to get interesting and then BAM! capped and the mission is ended. Even with farming the enemy team, I feel like we really don’t get to see the “final form” of the expedition.

Is this by design?

Is part of the incentive for mythic/pvp mode intended to be a “reward” in the form of more chances at the cooler invasions?

6 Likes

They didn’t tell you because they didn’t want you to game the system.

So they changed the system, because the incentives were messed up.

This isn’t interesting news and Blizzard doesn’t just reveal strategies for the game. It’s a game, remember?

3 Likes