It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

Combat AddOns are almost entirety fancy clocks.

You can already do /timer, in macro form, to accomplish 99% of what actually happens in combat addons. The difference is creating frames to make multiple clocks, and provide multiple avenues of data, while being hooked to UI events as to be automated.

So, technically, it’s already in the game, and has been in the game since TBC.

They dont like computational addons solving puzzles. For example, the Among Us solver on Dreadlords was due to an unintended API changed in 9.0 where “Hidden Auras” could return a boolean instead of returning nil. This is literally how the original Pieces WA/Among Us solver worked. The developer literally bruteforced his client to discover which auras are active, and once he found the unique spell ID, the code reflected “if you have this hidden aura, then you’re the imposter”. It fixed by the next reset.

They don’t like those types of addons/WeakAuras. That’s why they made Private Auras. That’s also why they locked down the Map API in raid combat. They don’t like puzzles being solved by computers.

My point as I’ve said 3 times now, is that instead of barring players from using 3rd party resources such as add-ons (OP’s suggestion) it would be mutually beneficial to instead have the actual game fulfill all of these functions, be they informative, or based on accessibility. If blizzard were to fulfill these desires themselves, no one would feel the need to create , use or support such add-ons in the first place.

In other words, the OP is attempting to treat a symptom, not the root cause.

1 Like

the thread needs to die, and everyone who feels so strongly anti-addon needs to move on to a game that wasn’t built with addon support baked in from day 1, 20 years ago.

5 Likes

Several times over WoW’s history, they’ve had to shut down addons that compromise certain encounters. It’s been up to their discretion to decide where that line is, and for many, that line should be any addon that directly affects gameplay or encounters.

I honestly have no problem with people using QoL addons that Blizz really should be implementing themselves. It’s when those not using addons are negatively affected where it becomes an issue.

Bottom line, my experience should not be made harder because others want theirs made easier.

1 Like

Yes. Like I said.

If Blizzard 100% implemented the exact add ons we have, and continued to update them with new features going forward. You would be right.

I agreed with you. Blizzard just needs to copy the entire add on database, and keep them updated themselves. Along with probably hiring every single add on writer. Then no one will ever need the need to have a 3rd party add on.

I am agreeing with you. I just dont think you fully understand the involvement of everything you are asking for to ensure no one would feel the need to create or use any 3rd party add ons.

I use weak auras. Do you know why? Because I want my information displayed slightly different from someone else. I want to customize how my information is displayed.

Addons have always been a part of this game and always will be. People who aren’t pro-addon, I’m convinced, just don’t know how to install them. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I make my own addons. If you got your way, I wouldn’t be able to have this beauty:

Your bottom line has no basis in reality or experience. You want something that does not and should not exist in the context of WoW. It is absolutely at Blizzard’s, and not your, discretion. They have already implemented the means by which to stop addons from accessing information about encounters they don’t want accessed, so the entirety of that process is complete, and they can now design encounters precisely to the level to which they do so.

IE: What we have now is what they are happy with, so stop complaining about being disadvantaged when you aren’t. WoW is, and always will be, balanced around addons existing. For encounters where they don’t want addons to manage mechanics, they will use the already existing hidden aura system, or target the specific addons in question. Blanket changes would immediately kill the game’s population, for the benefit of a very small minority such as yourself.

Exactly! addons are just an unnecessary burden for new players to join the game, and also for existing players to enjoy the game without 3rd party stuff.

Raid difficulty is an easier to solve problem, because it is just a matter of numbers. It can be easily adjusted by % increase/decrease to suit different players in different difficulty levels.

But the heavy relying on 3rd party stuff instead of improving the game itself, is a FUNDAMENTAL problem. Addon is WoW’s cancer.

1 Like

+1. These addons just steal your data and use for personal gains and purposes. Also violating players privacy for sharing private data.

1 Like

exactly my thoughts!! thank you.

And the clear solution to break the endless loop is to ban addons all together.

1 Like

What level of content do you play?

Indeed, it’s fascinating how conversations can persist over time! Especially about such important requests like OP.

1 Like

Right. Because banning addons like Bartender, SavedInstances, and Altoholic will surely fix everything.

You’re just a hater of anything that improves the gaming experience for other people.

5 Likes

No, it would be best for most people. I would rather use Blizzard addon implemented in-game than be forced to download third party addons.

1 Like

Good thing Blizzard disagree’s with you. I mean hey, did you read the story where Blizzard helped the author of DeadlyBossMods with a brand new computer a few years back? Blizzard is never going to remove addons from the game.

And this comment…

You do know this is entirely false. Addons have no access to your personal information. They have to run off by the API that Blizzard releases to addon creators.

4 Likes

i doubt about that.

They have. If someone using addon and i am in that players group they collect my game information. I do not want that.

I have already said in my original posts. Those basic functions should be in the default game settings instead of through a separate 3rd party source.

Allowing addons is allowing Blizzard slacking and not doing their own job.

Why would one spend effort to do its job, if others can just do it for you for free?

https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/09/28/dbm-author-gets-surprise-support-package-msi-blizzard/

You can doubt all you want.

Yeah, except, you do not own the data related to your account.

4 Likes