It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

This would be more true in the past. But, aside from some instance of “red on red on red” (which is definitely still a problem that needs fixing), there is a spell language in WoW. Effects with tall vertical pillars, for example, those pillars go away when someone is already inside, so you can fairly easily pick up which swirly needs to be soaked.

In the veeeery distance past, CT_RA was absolutely required, though. But we got Raid Frames from that.

I don’t think you’re wrong. But I think AddOns will exist so long as the game allows for it via an API. I think the best example of this is the Classic Hardcore addon that attempted to create custom achievements or challenges. Players created their own mini game, and the addon made it accessible to many. Participation in the mini game increased directly due to the addon.

Let’s say there’s a blind/short-sighted player who needs TTS. WeakAuras tells them to “Dodge Frontal” in Mythic+. This player was able to play with their friends at their level because of this WA suite. You’ve banned all addons. Can this player still play the game with their friends?

AddOns are an accessibility feature. I don’t think it’s fair to harm those specific players. My reasoning is simple: Accessibility is expensive. Most companies can’t implement more than a handle of generic features, like the various colorblind modes, the ability to scale up text or UI elements.

Those players have VERY LIMITED options. They get to enjoy WoW specifically because addons allow them access to tools that literally would not exist otherwise. Better even, they can customize those tools to fit their very specific needs.

As such, ripping that away from them is both cruel and unnecessary. You are capable of enjoying the game without addons. They are not as fortunate. Since AddOns existing in WoW is the status quo, it’s better to keep AddOns in WoW.

1 Like

Blizzard has clearly stated that they make boss encounters tougher now because people are using addons to make them easier. If you can’t understand how that negatively affects the gameplay of those not using addons, I don’t know what to tell you.

1 Like

It would, if those players didn’t have the capacity to download addons. Since they do, it negatively affects them by choice alone.

1 Like

This only applies to Mythic.

The fact you can PUG Week 1 Heroic – which is usually equivalent to a low-level Mythic boss, is proof enough.

Bosses get harder over time because players get better and smarter, and technologically improves (and designers want to maintain the challenge). AddOns are part of that, but recognizing mechanics makes the learning curve that much quicker. Remember when Heroic Lich King was downed in WOTLK, then smeared across the floor in Classic? The boss was always that difficult, some players are just that much better at the same game now.

1 Like

i agree about addons being forbidden

i only use details and framecolor basically atm

1 Like

They really only do this because of the RWF. People wouldn’t care as much about raid difficulty if that didn’t exist. But they can’t really get rid of that, so we’re stuck in an endless loop of them designing harder bosses because the masses like seeing the RWF take more than a day.

Since this only encompasses a small amount of add ons. Yes. They still would.

1 Like

Wow, this thread is still going? Dang.

This is kind of the entire point of the post. We don’t want to use addons, and don’t want to be adversely affected because a bunch of people choose to use something that yells at them instead of just learning the fights.

I downloaded DBM for some friends in Season 1 when I found out that they couldn’t tell what charge I had because I wasn’t using it. I played through maybe 3 dungeons before I quickly uninstalled it. It was not enjoyable at all, and to suggest that I should be hindered because I don’t want to use a third party addon that makes the game I want to play easier but less enjoyable is rather arrogant.

Its time to stop letting asmoncultists using level 10 alts from posting on the wow forums who rehash the same debunked points and have zero clue what they are talking about.
Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Arrogant? Arrogant is playing a game where addon use has been the expectation for nearly 2 decades, but thinking they should be removed because “I dont want to”. Get over yourself, use addons like everyone else does and like the game expects you to do, or stop complaining that you’re disadvantaged by anything other than your own choices.

WoW is a game that has had addons since day one, and evolved around their use. If you haven’t managed to grasp that in this long, it’s probably not anyone else’s issue.

2 Likes

Why does it still take some of these people hundreds of pulls despite the addons “telling them what to do”?

It’s encompasses the add-ons blizzard is against and the ones OP is referring to so thanks for the /actually/ glasses slide, but an entirely beside the point comment

Which add ons are Blizzard against?

Any add ons Blizzard is against, they shut down.

"We design acknowledging the existence of addons - I think we have to. Sometimes we’re actually designing and implementing mechanics in ways that are going to try to work around addons - whether it’s entering the code to disarm the bomb on Mekkatorque, or the Among Us game on Lords of Dread, and fixing stuff to plug loopholes that people’ve found, because we know that we have this idea which could be really fun gameplay, but if an addon solves the whole thing for you, then what’s the point? So we have to acknowledge its existence.

Ultimately, we’re tuning raid encounters in particular with two goals - one, it should be fun. Goal number two is that it should provide an appropriate progression experience for the difficulty and where it is in the raid."

-Ion on add-ons which trivialize the difficulty of progression encounters, thanks for trying for another gotcha

1 Like

I appreciate the response that is…how did you put it.

But that does not tell me which add ons Blizzard is against. or that they are even against any specific current add on.

Is your whole deal speaking in gross exaggerations, then back pedaling when called out for specifics and some how acting like you didnt?

Nah! I’m not giving up my Bartender4

Gross exaggeration, by quoting sources in relation to the topic?

Backpedaling by not naming a specific addon, which blizzard has not and would not do ?

How about you address my point - that blizzard wouldn’t have to worry about the types of add-ons interfering with their progression vision if the game adequately fulfilled those functions itself.

He stated that he wants to make interactive events that cant be autocompleted by an add on.

That is not saying that Blizzard is against any add on existing. Or that Blizzard is against an add on such as BigWigs or DBM.

Yes. If Blizzard made a fully customizable UI that did 100% of what add ons can do, and constantly updated it with new features. Just like add ons.

Then add ons would not be needed, because we’d have the exact same thing. A key feature of addons is the full customizations that come with it. So if your argument is “we wouldnt need add ons if Blizzard made add ons”

I mean. You are right. But I dont know what the point is?