Is wow pay to win now?

You need to start farming post counts since that server change, Akston…that 174 up there looks sad.

2 Likes

It’s not unenjoyable? I really enjoy keys that challenge me. You’re confused. I only play content I enjoy in this game. Why would I not take advantage of my gold from my established characters to boost one of my new characters up to an enjoyable level of difficulty for me? What else am I going to spend gold on, pets? professions? mounts? toys?

You can literally buy any loot in game with your credit card now, thus it is pay to win. All of you people saying “But stipulation X means its not!!!” is ridiculous, by that logic you could argue basically no games ever made are pay to win. You can gain large advantages by ponying up the real cash, that’s all it takes.

2 Likes

“now”

When could you not do it?

5 Likes

I can spend hundreds of dollars on tokens, buy the best gear I can from the AH, get carried through various mythics,…what do I win again?

1 Like

You don’t win, Blizzard wins.

I did not know I will be awesome at mage if I use my 120 boost from pre order on her not even more than an hour on here with her like 3 casts she has I saw in play testing.

So…I boost her, write some top 10 horde guild like method and I get a spot? Coolness, who knew so many bennies from that preorder existed.

2 Likes

Ask all the people selling MC/Ony clears on Classic. But clearly this is just a BFA problem.

3 Likes

Took me 14 seconds to find sites selling gold on classic, 1000+ gold at a time.

3 Likes

Paying with gold to have a chance of getting better gear won’t change how good or bad you are at your class/spec. If you are awful and have no clue as to what you’re doing, a fancy new helm won’t stop you from being terrible. You’ll just get booted from groups or not selected at all.

Not really how pay-to-win works.

1 Like

There’s also the mythic quality you can buy off the auctionhouse. It’s kind of a pay to win game. It depends on what you consider winning. If getting cutting edge is winning, you can’t do that without skill… unless you wanna pay 10 million gold or so for a carry I guess. That’s not winning to me. And you’d still get smoked in pvp by even moderately skilled players.

1 Like

How do you get carried if no one reached that point before? They can buy carries all they want it doesn’t make them stronger than someone who put in the time. Spend 200 bucks and my alt will still whoop your butt. Look at a game that has P2W and everyone that doesn’t pay is always weaker and on the same field, a bad player can beat a skilled player. Example Combat Arms you could buy a character that had half the hit box size, the gun that came with them took one less bullet to kill, and they had a healing item, all of which you can not get without paying cash and players on the same skill level will play that character to get the lead, it got so bad the rank ladder was swarmed with cash shop heroes.

You can buy a 10 carry in WoW, like WTF? Anyone who understands how to play the game can just do that.

2 Likes

And there was even a legal way too. You could just buy TCG cards and sell the mount you redeemed for gold. That existed starting in TBC. Could also trade the mounts for runs too, we did when we sold CMs and I remember raid sales taking them as payment during that time too.

2 Likes

You’re very much assuming that will happen.

I don’t think it always does.

I think enough people are using boosts as a stepping stone and getting into content permanently that it really does qualify as pay-to-win.

Not that paying will always make you win, but that if you don’t have a group of close friends who play WoW, and you want to win, you ain’t getting it without paying.

I’m curious…just what is it, specifically, you mean by the word “win” in this context?

1 Like

Get into content. Get into groups. Clear at least some of said content.

Since when can you “Win” in a MMO? Plus, you could literally just use the gold you earn ingame to accomplish the same thing. If all your talking about is buying good gear of the AH or paying for carries, thats not really “p2w” since you really don’t win anything.

The game still takes skill to play, even if you have the best gear for whatever patch your on, a mythic raider will still outperform a normal/heroic raider. So where are you winning?

this.

I tried a mage 110 trial boost as well. Seems it has some game play mechanics I suck at. It wasn’t jump on paladin all new to it faceroll keyboard for sure lol.

If I boosted, got the gimme gear from that to then fork over gold for paid service carries for top end gear, yeah, I’d still suck.

Clearly if I go mage for bit for real I will need time. money won’t fix that.

Personally never saw issues with the carry sellers. they provide a service, people opt to use it or not.

Does it get baddies in your crew? Maybe. Why I say use stuff like raider io as a tool, not a be all end all determinant of the player.

Eve taught me this well. You can have people with some good numbers for what we use…and they can still be bad at the game lol.

Perhaps guilds need to do a trial period if this worried. Probationary membership. If you raid well for a month…you are in. If not…maybe keep them anyway. But…you know not to put them on the A team for sure.

How many 0.0 eve corps do this. Unless you had a solid gold vouch, you know you had to earn that spot by at least trying just a little bit.

What content are you permanently getting into, that you can’t get into it without a close group of friends or money?

Please be specific.

I think WoW is more pay to “progress” then to win, can pay to reach high pvp ranks, progress through Raids… not necessarily to win… more to progress.