Is Tyrande really using void magic?

I read a thread saying that Tyrande was now using tons and tons of shadow magic, but a few ppl elsewhere have insisted it’s not shadow magic…so do we have any consensus?

I hope it’s not because two distinct elf races using void magic is kinda dumb, night elves should be unique.

If i had to guess it’s just elune’s magic and it only looks black/blue because of the whole dark theme of it being “vengeance”.

2 Likes

Her new powers come from Elune. it’s been hinted that Elune might be a Naaru. Naaru can become Void Lords. So I won’t say it’s impossible.

4 Likes

It just looks like darker versions of moon based magic. Like Black Moonfires. I don’t think it’s exactly fair to say “SHE’S USING VOID!! TYRANDE = N’ZOTH CONFIRMED!!” yet, when there’s pretty much no basis.

8 Likes

Xal’atath called Elune a great enemy as well… or at least the upstart “goddess” who is venerated in the Temple of Elune which is supposedly it’s shrine is a great enemy even if it is not Elune though what sort of upstart would dare pass itself off as Elune and have a Temple for itself built in Elune’s name is anyone’s guess.

In any case since Xal’atath is willing to work with N’Zoth it’s obviously not him giving power to Tyrande but someone Xal’atath sees as a great enemy. Either it’s a Naaru Prime or it’s the true enemy who seeks the end of all things and is backing Sylvanas.

The true enemy is assumed to be Death yet Bwomsamdi who is assumed to be it’s servant(he mentions a Boss) claims to not be the one who made Sylvanas Warchief so obviously neither he nor Death would want to side with her.

Sylvanas thinks she is aligned with Death yet is infact in service to something else and since whatever the Temple of Elune was built as a shrine for is in service to a great enemy of the Void that means whatever empowered Tyrande now has two Factions under it’s thumb.

The true enemy wants to kill all threats and since Tyrande only claims that Saurfang’s survival was the cause of Teldrassil’s burning after becoming the Night Warrior’s avatar in all probability the true enemy is merely saying that through Tyrande to set up an attempt by the Alliance to kill an released Saurfang and tear itself apart!

The true enemy doesn’t want either side to win but for the war to continue as long as possible!

Astral magic, at least in-game, is a mix of Arcane and Nature magic. Which fits some of the effects is can achieve. Perhaps this new stuff is Void and Nature magic in conjunction.

2 Likes

There might be some precedent depending on how we view the “Sisters of the Moon” encounter back in Tomb of Sargeras. The theme of that boss fight involved the two sides of the moon, the dark and light side, with the floor shifting between the two.

The light side stacked Arcane vulnerability on you while the dark side stacked Shadow vulnerability. And, mirroring this, the bosses mainly delt Arcane and Shadow damage.

If we take those mechanics to mean more than just a fancy fight, it could imply that Elune’s “dark side” does tap in to the Void just a bit.

10 Likes

Until we get lore snippets of Tyrande getting strange whispers in her ear, I’d say not. Since that’s part of the Void package.

She’s still using star magic, which is arcane. Her big aoe Lunar Strike in the cinematic and against Belmont, for example.

As for her stuff against Nathanos, we’re going to need more than just purple spell effects to say it’s Void. Color doesn’t mean squat, fel and life are both green but they’re not the same thing. There’s no tentacles to be found and the threat of the Night Warrior isn’t madness, it’s being torn apart from the raw power.

10 Likes

Yeah. Whenever Malfurion casts a spell, I swear I’m seeing Gul’dan. Visual inferencing on this sort of thing is far, far too questionable.

It’s not Void without that whisper of Old God in the mix.

I’m pretty sure it’s moonlight of some kind. Maybe it’s supposed to reflect the dark side of a moon? I doubt its void related.

brb, checking the cosmology chart for “moonlight.”

Honestly, there are three possibilities:

1. It’s void.
  2. It’s arcane and holy recolored as void?
  3. It’s a wholly unique form of energy never before seen in the setting.

In my view, 1 is most likely. 2 is possible, but boring. 3 is interesting, but just wishful thinking.

Let’s not forget that, beneath the faction war, this is still an Old God expansion. N’Zoth is quiet for now, but sooner or later he’s going to have to make a big move. Having a major character suddenly starting drinking the darkness is not a coincidence.

I get that people don’t like this assertion. Ya’ll like Tyrande, especially #savage #vengeance Tyrande. But take a step back and ask yourself what you’d think was going on if any other character in the game, especially a Priest, prayed for power and was gifted with something called “The Dark ____.”

5 Likes

Maybe it is void adjacent. I took another good look at that fight and saw it was shadowy. Remember Elune’s is a force of light,but her presence has always been during the night. The NE’sc can fade into the the shadows and Tyrande used that power to elude the demons in W3.

I might be reaching here but in Game of Thrones Melisandre says that the darkness is a tool of the light, I’m paraphrasing a bit. Maybe that’s what this is. Elune can use the shadow for her purposes.

Or she just may have aspects of both. Apparently she was around during the ordering of the cosmos according to legion. Her powers may just be aspects of both astral light and shadow and the Night Warrior can call of the abilites of both. Tyrande also uses powerful moon/arcane abilites. Elune is the light in the darkness, being able to call on the shadows makes sense. Don’t Wardens say “may the night shroud me in shadow”?

The void is all devouring. Tyrande does mention she going to saite the Warrior vengeance, which is eerie but I don’t think it’s the same thing. More so a need to avenge the slain. I think it’s just shadow without the void. Unless we get whispers, which would suck.

It also sucks that any power (I’m a little being dramatic) that’s not cosigned by Velen is immediately labeled old gods/void.

4 Likes

Blame Blizzard presentation down to it, but outside of the Light, it’s either Arcane/Fel or Shadow/Void.

2 Likes

I mean, i think its weird to think tyrande = alleria 2.0 as well, but they do seem to be trying to “box in” cosmology lore as much as possible

like, remember they said elune might be a naaru?

2 Likes

I think she’s using Pink Floyd magic, honestly no idea. Someone needs to check logs on the horde side scenario and see what’s she’s using. I somehow doubt it’s “Eclipse”.

I think that the assumption that Tyrande is more with end void is crazy. Is she using shadow abilities, yes, but the moon (Elune) is synonymous with the night. Her light, while always being abled to be called on at anytime of the day, is present at night. So shadow being apart of her makes sense. I think that still have some work to do with cosmology lore though.

That was Velen claiming she was a narru, and he was wrong.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a consensus, but it seems quite clear to me that the night warrior is all about shadow magic, given that the new moon - the shadowed side of the moon - is prominently featured in the associated cinematics. I suppose that means it’s void magic since void and shadow powers seem synonymous in Warcraft lore.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that in WC3, the magic that the Wardens used (especially the avatar) is incredibly similar.