Is This Research Invite Legit?

I’ve received emails from an account “research@research.blizzard.com” regarding signing up for a 4.5 week “longitudinal study”. If it’s real, I’d be happy to do it, but I have no idea whether this is legitimate or not, and haven’t seen anything solid online confirming whether this is real or a scam. Customer Support has no info on this and I’m not seeing an option to talk to a CS rep directly about it, so posting here I guess.

It’s not unusual a someone will spoof a legitimate email, so it would be hard to tell if your email is false or not, you would have to make sure the email was not falsified. As to the email itself, I’ve seen this asked before. Unfortunately these usually come from Community or Marketting and outside of what a GM would be able to see even if you put in a ticket.

Looks right - but as mentioned - you ALWAYS want to make sure that it’s actually coming from that address and not spoofed.

You can do that through the routing headers.

5 Likes

Have a look in this thread. Took me a minute to find it, I remembered seeing this exact thread a while back.

1 Like

I got the email and it’s legit in my case:

Received: from wfbtcxqt.outbound-mail.sendgrid.net (wfbtcxqt.outbound-mail.sendgrid.net. [159.183.202.71])
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of bounces+33005081-a7d5-xxxxx@em8162.research.blizzard.com designates 159.183.202.71 as permitted sender) client-ip=159.183.202.71;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=pass header.i=@research.blizzard.com header.s=ARC header.b=BKHSw4BK;
dkim=pass header.i=@sendgrid.info header.s=smtpapi header.b=NebXn5mb;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of bounces+33005081-a7d5-xxxxxx@em8162.research.blizzard.com designates 159.183.202.71 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom="bounces+33005081-a7d5-xxxxxx@em8162.research.blizzard.com";
dmarc=pass (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=research.blizzard.com

The only way to tell if an email is legit or not (the from address is easily spoofed), is by reading the headers, so you have to know how to read them and what they mean.

1 Like

I received one of those also. I saw the email about 20 minutes ago.

You can also double check here: https://research.blizzard.com/Portal/home

3 Likes