Is this Blizzard Research email I got legit?

Is this Blizzard Research email I got legit?

Yesterday I got an email from the domain Research@Research.Blizzard.com

It claimed there was a study session starting on April 15th thru May 16th and to basically ask me to sign up. It also had at the top of the email the Blizzard Logo and the GUR logo (I have never seen that logo before).

At first glance, I thought it was scam, so I didn’t click any links. I did some research through google and found the legitimate Blizzard Research website at https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/research?_gl=1*etmfbv*_ga*MTkwMTg3MzAwMC4xNzEyMjY0NDgz*_ga_VYKNV7C0S3*MTcxMjMzMjQ2Ni4yLjAuMTcxMjMzMjQ2Ni42MC4wLjA.

It seems legitimate to me but wanted to double check with the Blizz mods here if they see this. Other forums I have posted on have said it’s a big scam that just looks very convincing.

Has anyone received an email like this recently and is it legit?

Ask yourself what you think you’re gonna get if you sign up.

If it doesn’t involve money, who cares?

Also yes. Possible scam.

The Blizzard Research website lists their email as playtest@blizzard.com.

I’m not sure that you got a legit email.

1 Like

I’d post this is CS forum.

Edit your post and move to CS.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was also about to say that it seems Blizzard uses playtest@blizzard.com for their research stuff.
If an email you weren’t expecting asks you to sign up to something, it’s a scam.

Also was the website the email wanted you to sign up at the www.blizzard.com/en-gb/research website?

Official Blizzard Entertainment emails come from domains: @blizzard.com, @email.blizzard.com, @em.blizzard.com, @gear.blizzard.com, @overwatchleague.com, @battle.net, noreply@e.battle.net, or noreply@e.blizzard.com. If you get an email from a different domain, you should be cautious. Even if an email appears to come from an official domain it still might be fake.

2 Likes

In general Blizzard never sends you places that you need to sign up for anything. Specially by sending you emails.

Okay, I will, thanks.

1 Like

For the research yes they do. But you have to sign up for it.

I’m curious why they wouldn’t manage research registrations through battle.net like everything else?

I have the same email from the same research@research.Blizzard.com address and it comes to an address of mine that only Blizzard has. I am signed up for their User Research program so expect them from time to time, although they are rare. Yes, mine has the GUR logo too with the little murloc hints. They can also send them to anyone who has signed up for the mailing list for Blizzard, not just people who signed up for the study site.

They do send out research opportunities and you can get a Tango card for participating if you get a slot.

You can learn more about the User Research program here

3 Likes

Okay, yes. I did see it advertised the Tango gift card which I thought was also a little fishy. But I guess it’s the opposite.

I have the same email but when I clicked, there weren’t research opportunities.

Yeah I had to ask what that was and it seems like it is a gift card type that you can turn into anything you want - like use it on Amazon, or use it other places. It does not lock you into one vendor to use it with.

One of my friends did a study with them the end of 2023 regarding Diablo Immortal and got the Tango Card. Worked great and he used it at Amazon for gaming hardware. So I know they do have legit studies, know someone directly involved, and know what the Tango cards are.

You are wise to ask though!!! Always triple check these things.

They fill up pretty fast to be honest. It can take some juggling to get a slot and sometimes they contact you back again if more slots open I think?

2 Likes

Thank you for your help!

I guess the only thing left to ponder on is what the upcoming study session is all about. Hopefully TWW Alpha. Lol

2 Likes

I had no idea this was a thing! Thanks for providing a link. I signed up for it.

Unsure if I will ever get to do anything since it seemed to like people in CA, but still neat.

2 Likes

Yeah I signed up years ago and only recently did I get any emails for it! I have not done one yet because they asked about a game I did not currently play, but User Research is a very cool thing. I do hope to participate at some point. So glad they now do some of them online. It used to be CA only and in person.

i got the same email, the one i had it said something about being 4.5 weeks long and over zoom/remotely for a 500 $ tango gift card if selected as well.

1 Like

It is pretty standard in software. I’m not signed up with Blizzard, but I am signed up with Adobe and get opportunities fairly often (haven’t been picked for one yet). But they are a really great way for the companies to work with users to find out what use cases and needs are out there.

1 Like

Just FYI, unless you know how to check the email headers, and you checked the headers to see who actually sent the email, whatever is listed in the from field is completely irrelevant. It’s trivial and takes all of 5 seconds to make that say whatever you want it to say. You need to look up the instructions for whatever email client you use, and look at the actual headers and see where it came from to see if it’s legit or not.

You can’t really tell from the content either, because phishers can and do copy legitimate Blizzard emails and alter the links to go to a phishing site, while editing the from address to look like it’s from Blizzard. They CANNOT conceal the origin of the message in the headers though.

1 Like

I have received one of these emails as well but the sender’s email address is noreply@e.blizzard.com. I have never seen that domain with the e. attached to the blizzard before. Can anyone confirm that this is legit? Does anyone know if Blizzard has a FAQ on the list of emails that they send correspondence from?