Is there such a thing as being inherently bad at PvP?

I’ve been playing wow for at least 8 or 9 years now. Throughout those years I’ve tried to get into serious pvp because of the desire of cool mogs or arena mounts. I’ve gotten alot of regular pvp sets when grinding honor points was a thing, but only one elite armor set and one vicious saddle mount.

Those were the hardest things I’ve ever tried to do in game. Even though I can be persistent, no matter how much I play I constantly find myself stressed and almost in tears because of being upset about losing. When I win it’s nice, but I dont ever enjoy it because I know I’ll lose 9 times more before I win again.

Anyone else experience this, or am I just a crybaby who is bad at PvP?

2 Likes

LOL yea same that’s why I joined RUINS guild so I could be carried in battle for nazjatar and get free 445-460 gear to be better in PvE, even though I’ve never completed LFR either and don’t do M+ LOL I’m so trash not even gonna pretend

2 Likes

You might not be bad at playing, but losing at pvp happens and seems you aren’t good at handling it. Playing pvp is very different than pve and your companion’s reactions might be affecting you as well. Hope you find better companions and have more fun in pvp.

My advice is, level a character entirely through pvp, entirely, you’ll get used to winning and losing and learn more about how pvp plays

/hug

5 Likes

Pvp can be pretty tricky to get into and is even harder now due to the lack of pvp players that can even get to pvp

Back in the day you could go out and duel people and that was a really good form of practice for when you did the real thing

Half the time as well it’s a roll of the dice if you’re going to win or not; all you can do is try to do your best in BGs and hope your team is somewhat on the ball and it’s usually better go in and use it as practice

Also when you’re doing pvp you need to be aware of the mistakes you make and spend time trying to fix those, if you have trouble fighting something seek out the class and try to duel them until you learn how to get better

You can even ask the pvp forums for advise on stuff and as toxic as people say they are they’re usually helpful because they’ve got a pool of knowledge

1 Like

I’m bad at PvP because I hate ruining another player’s day. :frowning:

7 Likes

Same. I’m very non confrontational irl. So the idea of fighting another real person sometimes gets in my head and freaks me out.

PvP is a whole different animal to pve, the focus macros, the awareness, the addons, your cd tracker and their cd tracker.

It can be frustrating.

Plus the pvp community used to be insanely healthy and their was a lot of respect to arena players above 1700 or so (speaking in wotlk) now the player base is so small that the barrier to entry is ridiculous.

It doesn’t encourage people to embrace it, learn it, and stay with it.

God i miss 2v2, 3v3 arenas until 5am every weekend

Think of it as out competing, its not necessarily hate or anger that drives us when we pvp.

1 Like

First off, nothing in the game should ever stress you out to the point of almost being in tears. If that’s something that’s occurring often I’d lay off from doing rated pvp for a while.

Second, pushing rating is literally just queuing a lot and figuring out what’s going on in your bracket. And I’m not even talking about comps. I mean what are players doing that has gotten them into that bracket and what can you do with your team to shut them down. It’s figuring out what the break point is that’s causing deaths and then adjusting your strategy.

Do know though that there is a struggle when doing it. So here’s a few tips that I can suggest.

First off, find your “WoW Hero”. That being someone that’s actively doing some kind of content and sharing what they’re doing via streaming on Twitch or Youtube with guides and montages.

Second, when you’re finding yourself in a lose streak and you’re getting frustrated, just stop. It’s no use beating yourself up until you start winning when you’re already feeling negative vibes. Some times it’s just not a good day to queue.

Third, think of PvP as playing Dark Souls or any game that’s baseline difficulty is hard. You’re going to die. A LOT. And it’s okay. That’s part of the PvP experience. If you take it into stride then you’re going to lose focus as to figuring out why you died and if there was something you can do about. Engage, Die, Assess and then Reengage. And again in your off time, watch videos of players who are pushing rating.

Hopefully this helps. You’re not bad. You’re just learning.

P.S. The only bad PvPers are the ones who puff their chest out and then still get molly whopped.

2 Likes

Just remember that the person you are fighting here is having fun because that’s what pvp is about. We’re all just having fun.

1 Like

I’m just a crybaby care bear who’s bad at PVP. I’m fine with that.

2 Likes

A lot goes into pvp… i have the mind and spirit for it but my coordination is and was always god awful.

I had such a hard time coordinating cool downs, focus interrupts, trinket timers… a lot of that stuff had to be on the fly. Weak auras helped but it got to the point where no matter how much information i made available to myself i could only take in and use so much.

Rbg’s are bit more forgiving when it comes to my pitfall, as good strategies can overcome great players.

1 Like

For some reason the most frustrating part was doing arenas and having people run away behind pillars and ending up getting away and healing up. I would think “omg coward just come fight me!” But end up realizing that’s a strategy that even the top end pvp players use. Lol

OP, I’m just as bad as you. I’ve played WoW since '04 and I am terrible at pvp despite efforts to improve.

It got worse as classes started to become homegenized. It used to be that any damage you put onto a dps was relatively permanent unless they got a heal or health stone.

Now every class has sustain and “o snap” hp cd to keep the party going, and that made arena super boring to the point they had to implement dampening which is such a sad mechanic.

2 Likes

Na, you can always learn anything.
you could just be like me. in random bg’s, i can really excel, but when it comes to the serious stuff, i shrug that kinda thing off. at a certain point, to really remain competitive, there is a LOT of stuff you need to keep track of, and to me, at that point its just not really worth it. im a face roller that enjoys seeing big numbers and a flurry of attacks…i dont find tracking dots, timers, and all that crap to be fun at all…even if i do really like some of the gladiator mounts. guess ill just have to forgo those.

1 Like

PvP is always very hit or miss with me. Like, I’ll force myself to do it for some things like the Blood of the Enemy essence ranks, but I’m not particularly attracted to it. Part of it is the reaction speed you need for pvp is very different from pve because it can be unpredictable.

For the most part in PvE, even the most dangerous mechanics can be countered if you know it’s coming. In PvP… if you used your one gap closer for whatever reason already, and that DH floats away from you, he’s gone. If you burned your own stun-break early and the rogue vanishes and returns; you’re dead.

I find that pacing shift from pve to pvp to be jarring. It takes some getting used to and I do think pvp in general is not for everyone. Just like dedicated raiding is not for me, or like how M+ is not for everyone, especially people who don’t like timers.

1 Like

Yep same. I have tried PVP, on all my different toons, but I am just terrible at it. I am an embarrassment in a rated battleground…LOL So I stopped trying to pvp some time back. The only time I pvp’d recently was for the weekend quest thing, but I never finished it because you have to do that Island pvp quest.

for bgs no for arena yea.you can be as bad as you want in a bg…lol.

I rather play with people who are down to earth and that think they’re bad at pvp than play with people that think they should be on the method main roster.

2 Likes

sounds like a discipline issue. If you are on the verge of tears due to this then I dont think this should be something you force yourself to do. Serious end game rated pvp is vicious and brutal. You have to put 120% into it to stand a chance, and even then there is always some cheese / cheap tactic someone has to get to the top. You either gotta play dirty like them or suffer at the bottom.