Is there any debate that WoW is P2W?

technically,

if you buy a token you pay the company and the player

Company in real money

Player in gold

You act like pressing 1 2 2 3 and deleting someone is hard to do when you have gear.

WoW is p2w.

But the company is letting you do whatever you want with the gold, you the player, and the booster, is the one taking the next step to “win.”

yes but the post I replied to was in context of paying to have a competitive advantage

Giving blizz money just gives you the tools to win at whatever your goal is.

Yes, my sub is giving me the tools to do whatever I want in game.

2 Likes

Being friends with the booster is also a legitimate way of being boosted.

Getting rid of the WoW token won’t change anyone’s behavior. It just changes exactly where the money changes hands. If nothing in the game or player behavior is changing then I don’t see what good patting ourselves on the back for eliminating P2W would do.

I think it’s a mixed bag. One the one hand, I think that allowing players to pay their sub with either real money or with time spent in game (farming gold) is a good thing for the game overall. It gets a lot of legitimate players in the game that we wouldn’t have otherwise. I think it’s actually important in this case that purchasing a WoW token doesn’t create any gold from the ether that Blizzard just hands you. It comes from another player. Aside from the $5 transaction fee, it’s really no different from going up to little Timmy and saying that you’ll pay his sub so long as he gives you some in-game gold. I see no problem with that kind of transaction on an individual private level though I’ll acknowledge that making it convenient and widespread the way the token does makes it fundamentally different.

I also think it’s good for the game in the sense that it basically introduces competition for illicit gold sellers. More mixed on that point since it’s kinda moot when it just means that Blizzard themselves are the gold sellers… but at least I don’t see anywhere near as many barcode characters screaming URLs at me in Stormwind. And buying gold from Blizz is undoubtedly safer than buying it from a third-market seller.

On the reverse side, I can see the pay to win argument for being able to purchase gear and legendaries from the Auction House since those provide tangible player power. I don’t think that’s necessarily a good thing for the game but I’ll also admit it’s fairly low on my priority list. People who pay for better gear has never really been something I’ve cared about since it doesn’t affect my personal ability to play the game. I can still raid and play with my guild the same way I always have. Someone else buying gear to make themselves more powerful doesn’t affect me because gear isn’t a limited resource and I’m never going to be in competition with that player. But aside from my own personal circumstance, there are times when players will be in competition with that player and those situations are largely in the forms of PvP and in World First races. World First may be technically an external community event but the hall of fame is not, and someone earning a spot with gear/consumables they bought makes it more difficult for me to have my name carved into those same halls. Even if I don’t play at the level where that affects me, I think it’s bad for the game. (PvP I won’t speak on because I frankly don’t know enough about it.)

Personally I think that the positives of the WoW token outweigh the negatives, mostly because the positives affect far more players than the negatives do and I don’t see the negatives as being particularly severe. Whether or not hat makes WoW P2W is as you say a matter of definition. But I don’t think carries factor into this discussion whatsoever. I actually think that carries are something outside the scope of the P2W or WoW token conversation.

1 Like

again, Sure.
…but buying the token does not assure you of success . heck, (in my world at least) even paying another player in gold or a token to carry you through a dungeon or event is not a sure thing.
they might stiff you or it may fail for other reasons, even then a “win” is not a 100% forgone conclusion.

if you’re friends, then it won’t involve any money or gold

cannot compare it to boosting for gold because that booster isn’t kind enough if you are not their friend

it will assure you of skipping everything to get to the end

WoW is in no way p2w.

P2W requires getting an upper hand and advantage over free players by buying extra.

You cannot do that. You can buy gold. Free players are more than capable of earning gold, I do just fine.

Boosting is not P2W as its not being done by blizzard officially. If you consider boosting P2W, then just having the auction house would be considered P2W as you’re buying things you didn’t earn yourself.

The wow token is not P2W. All you can do is buy gold, which only saves time. It doesn’t give you an advantage. On top of that, you aren’t buying the gold from blizzard, you are buying it from other players.

Removing the wow token would have a vastly negative impact on people who need it to play, like me, and not stop people from buying gold. People bought gold belt the wow token and just risked having their account banned.

1 Like

3 questions
So what does like 1 million gold get me for services? Don’t tell me BIS gear, but how many wins or wins per week sort of thing.

Have you always sold and advertised boosts, or did you rely on third party communities to find your customers.

Does getting rid of communities make boosting more profitable since there is no middleman taking a piece?

Don’t you get an advantage of getting gear funneled to you

I suppose my question is what makes it different? Just looking at what happens in the game, both activities look identical. In both cases the content is being successfully completed without cheating but one of the players is very bad and spends most of the time dead. Clearly they aren’t contributing anything to the success of the time, but it’s not unfair.

My question is why would one method of boosting be fine and the other not? I personally don’t see the difference between the two.

By this definition, EVERY GAME is pay to win.

Yes, there is.

By that logic, guilds are P2W.

Edit: Also, again, P2W requires access to something free players can’t get. Free players are more than capable of earning gold. I do.

I’ve bought carries and I’ve never once bought a wow token to get gold.

1 Like

this is why i ask how many games are there similar to wow which sell gold and have a sub with buy

Who cares? Does WoW have to be like every other game?

guilds will not funnel loot to you unless you prove yourself, spend time and are unlucky in getting gear which everyone gets which can take more time

paying gets you instant gear funnel which is what you said, an advantage over free players in game

1 Like

not really … blizzard has plenty of ‘road blocks’ and quest requirements to advancing . they also make leveling a character to end game ridiculously easy , I play in 3 or 4 hour at a time increments during the day and night due to age and health issues . and I can make and level a character in less than a week . most of it in the first day and half but the end game stuff takes more time being that a lot of it is time gated .

im asking because you said if boosting for gold is pay to win then every game is pay to win.

so im asking how many games are there selling gold and charging you a sub fee with game payment