Is the Game Population Dropping Fast?

Maybe it’s just me but it feels like the population is dropping fast. Like WOD fast. I’ve had two guilds die this past week and many of the leveling zones are really empty.

I know I’ve been pretty unhappy, and I probably won’t renew when my six month sub is up. But I’m shocked how quickly my guilds and friend list have emptied out.

Does anyone else see this happening?

232 Likes

February 4 is the next earnings call if you want to get some insight, although they’ll be talking about the quarter ended December 31, which was mostly still in the honeymoon period of that first month from the 11/23 launch. (Almost as if ActivisionBlizz knows how to time these launches :grinning:).

If it were dropping unexpectedly fast you’d have to look at third party estimates or wait until May to hear more. Of course you’d have to assume 9.1 would drop sometime before then and maybe stave off some of those losses.

Personally, I’m sure the game’s lost a lot of players (up to 50% wouldn’t even surprise me) that came back for the first month. How many and how fast beyond that is anyone’s guess.

57 Likes

Idk, i’ve unsubbed. Got tired of wasting my time constantly doing M+ for 35 anima and a vault upgrade on my highest ilevel piece.

If you’ve somehow profaned RNGesus as I have apparently, this is a horrible expac to partake in

Im good. After 15+ years im just not attached to this game the way I was before anyways so im not hurt about leaving. Shadowlands is clearly not the expac for me

203 Likes

I’ve played a long time and it’s never felt this unrewarding before.

258 Likes

WOD was pretty popular at release…that’s a wierd comparison

20 Likes

Actually glad someone mentioned this, because I’ve been struggling more to find groups over the last two (ish?) weeks or so. Not sure if people left after the covenant campaign concluded or their sub ran out or what, but I’ve noticed this as well. Thought it might just be something that I was doing/missing (which also might be true!).

13 Likes

Still finding solid statistic, but I’m gussing no more than 1 million.

2 Likes

Imo BfA was worse. It felt like a lot of guilds died waiting for 8.1

7 Likes

Been dropping ever since WOD and #flygate but now with the toilet of wow the population is really being flushed down the drain players are getting tired of the game and the feeling of not being rewarded as it was before.

34 Likes

It was popular but then quickly fell off a cliff.

21 Likes

on reset day i saw atleast 3 people on down from 20+

my guild is active in discord but not actually logged into the game mostly watching youtube videos on reset day lol

a group of them playing ff 13 instead right now and raids in an hour :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m in a large guild with everyone across the casual-hardcore spectrum. The number of people on at any given time currently is right around half of what it was a couple weeks ago.

30 Likes

There are more WTS listings than there are actual groups running. This applies to both M+ and Raids.

Worst I’ve ever seen it.

69 Likes

Anecdotal but nearly all of my friends have quit playing again. My friends list is a ghost town already and I can’t blame anyone, this is the most depressing xpac yet.

84 Likes

I’m not the best player but I find plugging much harder this expansion than previous ones. A lot of people I know are just buying carries so they don’t have to deal with it.

12 Likes

Nope, looks good from here :+1:

https://i.postimg.cc/XvQwnJDd/image.png

13 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? 99% of zones are leveling zones, the 1% are zones like Wintergrasp, Timeless Isle, Tanaan Jungle, etc so I’m assuming you mean Azeroth old xpac zones?

My entire friends list minus one other person has disintegrated over the last couple weeks. Most of them told me SL is just to unrewarding for the time/effort. Can’t say I disagree with them.

63 Likes

I don’t know, everyone I play with is still around. Our raid has even picked up a few extra people

4 Likes

You bet people are unsubbing and those defending it are Blizzard Employee’s doing damage mode atm. Cause the complaints are very valid and Blizzard are in hiding not knowing what to do or how to fix it.

75 Likes