Is the 20 man hard limit for Mythic raiding too restrictive?

When it comes to Mythic raiding, I feel the groups should be flexible like Normal and Heroic. I don’t see why it’s restricted to (20) players personally.

In my Guild when we raid on our fun run on Saturday’s we normally fill up the raid completely. This being (30) players. For our Heroic Teams, We fill up pretty full as well. We actually have multiple raid team’s due to the amount of interested raiders in my Guild.

I would love to see the (20) person restriction lifted for Mythic raids. Mostly because we can combine some of our raid teams for Mythic once we get more geared and may want to try it out.

One thing I would love to see however is the limit of players you may have for ALL difficulties raised back to (40) players like back in the day when (40) man raiding was a thing.

You wouldn’t need to fill it up with (40) players, But it would make more room for perspective raiders to join your team! :smiley:

6 Likes

It might be restrictive to some extent but it’s also necessary to have it for the encounter design, tuning etc. What you did mention although with having it open up as an option later when crossrealm opens might be an option.

4 Likes

Yes to both of these. I think this is a great compromise. Typically, guilds will need to maintain a mythic roster of around 22 people to avoid ever pugging (since people have to miss raid nights from time to time), but that leaves 2 people not raiding until they’re called on.
I understand that for the competitive integrity of the RWF and HoF it should be locked to 20. But once cross realm mythic (and now cross faction) opens up lets have it flex like normal and heroic does. (I’d like to see lockout changes as well, but those talks have already happened :wink: )

4 Likes

My guild is currently also having the issue of either having to pug 1~3 people, or having 4 people too many and having to bench them.

We can do mythic, we can’t expect people to be ready every raid night due to real life.

I disagree, and I’m also of opinion that the HoF is a dated concept that only hurts Mythic Raiding.

10 Likes

Respectfully i disagree with this.

Raids are by their nature meant to be done by large groups.

The very highest level of raiding should require exceptional ability in all three of the main areas of competency:

Oganization, Effort and Skill.

It absolutely should be about more than just the bosses and should require the defeat of all of the encounter mechanics the designers intended at the raid size it was designed for.

It’s not for me. I’m not good enough to beat it, interested enough to dedicate the effort or feel like running a fortune 500 caliber of guild… anymore. A long time ago for a brief time I gave it a shot and what I was able to accomplish was very rewarding even if ultimately not super successful. If you can’t beat it, you can’t beat it, but it should be there for you to try without compromise.

If you cant do it do the other difficulties. Not every guild should be able to do it. It should not be an entitlement.

7 Likes

Blizzard has given us a clear stance on why Mythic is locked to 20, as well as even larger community figures having discussions and agreeing with the state of the game(# of classes and specs) 20m just works. I’d say there’s an issue with the feeling of “needing” to do Mythic and not being happy with what can be accomplished, but that’s an entirely different topic.

What I can say, is the logistics required to maintain a roster of 20 players comes with many hurdles and it feels there’s almost no support from Blizzard in alleviating any of the hurdles a guild has. I believe once HoF or at a certain date after a tier releases, Mythic can be moved to a “Flex” style(Say 18-22, or 15-25) to allow more friend oriented guilds the ability to go into Mythic and try something new or even take pressure off of guilds in maintaining a strict 20 man roster. Maintaining a 20 man roster is difficult for mid-tier Mythic raiding guilds because players don’t want to sit the bench, but expecting 20 people to show up each raid week is unrealistic as their goals don’t create that motivation 18 weeks into a tier to keep committing X amount of nights to WoW.

There needs to be more done in general with helping guilds/communities/raid teams stay afloat, and a big part of that is alleviating the massive amount of hurdles as well as the logistics strain that mythic raiding brings.

5 Likes

Big disagree. I’m playing a game. If I wanted to do this in a game I’d fight my boss IRL.

I think this is a good idea to start with, and probably also easier to tune around. Though perhaps it should be certain increments? Either 15, 20, 25 or 18, 20, 22, due to how mechanics scale?

Anyway, my hope is 10 person mythic raiding, simply because it’s so much easier to find 10 people rather than 20.

12 Likes

You can’t make the raid group to small because the absolute best design of encounters is when it’s 20 people. For example with how Jailer Mythic works you can’t really do it as 10 unless you would create a new stratergy or completetly rework the encounter.

The design of encounters is much more interesting when scaled upwards rather than for smaller raidsizes.

Anyhow, if you would make it flexible at any point it must be very late in progression when atleast HoF is closed and any relevant progression is done.

1 Like

By that time guilds that can dabble in mythic raiding without the perfect roster, will already have had players give up. It’s too late.

HoF is a dated concept and should be removed, just add an official ranking that lasts until the end of the season and call it a day.

8 Likes

The concept isn’t dated although the current HoF system is not working as intended with Alliance being a dead faction. The Horde HoF works well except for some guilds selling HoF titles. There is an official ranking sytem already if you mean world ranks, HoF is a guild title although. This system isn’t obselete and shouldn’t be removed.

Sure, it’s late - but it’s late or nothing imo. The raid should be tuned and designed for a 20 man raiding guild with nothing else in mind.

1 Like

I have thoughts on all this but no clear opinion on whether mythic raids should remain strictly 20-person.

My AOTC guild has occasionally made forays into mythic raids, just for the early bosses. But most of the time we don’t, and the strict 20-person raid size is the primary reason. Some tiers we’re a bit short and not interested in pugging for progression. Other tiers we have too many and have to leave some people out, and that really feels bad.

On top of that, we’re a “real life comes first” sort of guild designed for busy adults with families, demanding jobs, etc. We have no attendance requirements for our raids and do not pressure people to raid if they have real-life stuff going on. We find that this is not compatible with mythic raiding because of the fixed raid size.

Recently there was a reddit post from an expectant mother who said her husband was upset that their upcoming newborn’s delivery conflicted with his raid schedule. His guild was on mythic Jailer. That is awful on so many levels (on the husband’s part), but I understand the pressure he is feeling. That’s exactly the pressure my guild has decided to avoid by not raiding mythic.

The last time we raided mythic was in 8.3, where we killed 4 mythic bosses after finishing AOTC. In Shadowlands the desire to raid mythic just has not been present in my guild. For one, the raids feel harder, so by the time we get AOTC we’re ready for a break from raiding. But the main reason is that we’ve gotten heavily into mythic+ instead. Mythic+ offers all the difficulty of mythic raiding once the keys get high enough, but in smaller time chunks and in smaller, more flexible teams. We have a wide variety of skill levels in the guild, and mythic+ allows us to each run at our own level, whereas in raids there can be frustration from the more skilled players at having to wait for others to master the mechanics.

Mythic+ has basically replaced the early mythic bosses for us.

The one thing that has been frustrating for us has been that not raiding mythic has left us unable to get the best gear, which impacts our ability to do high keys. In 9.2, this was greatly ameliorated by the Creation Catalyst. Yeah, there are a few raid trinkets and weapons we still can’t get at high item levels. But the Creation Catalyst and itemization in general have allowed us to gear up to a place that is close enough to what mythic raiders can get that we can do keys higher than 20.

That said, I always do look a bit wistfully at the mythic encounters. I read a post, I think it was here, where the person said mythic Vigilant Guardian felt like a more complete encounter than the LFR/Normal/Heroic versions because the boss is always present and you don’t have that weird downtime. Clearly that fight was designed for mythic and then scaled down awkwardly for the other difficulties. And I know my guild is totally capable of defeating that boss. But we’re not willing to bench our friends in order to see it.

6 Likes

We’re in the same boat. We have a mythic raid scheduled for tonight, which is now in jeopardy because of some circumstances that my raiders couldn’t control. We may be forced to raid heroic tonight because we don’t want to pug multiple spots, and we may not have 20 people available.

Yes that was me. Since the first time I killed the boss on opening day of the raid, I have not looked forward to doing it again because I severely dislike downtime in a boss fight (I had the same issue with P2 sylvanas)
But on mythic, I am looking forward to pulling it again because it’s such a better encounter!!!

5 Likes

The average age of WoW’s player base is going up over the years. Every year the demographic of players who no longer have the time to deal with the hurdles and drama of Mythic roster management grows.

Meanwhile,the brain trust of player raid knowledge gets bigger, and there are more guides, addons and tools available to help conquer raids.

The result is alot more guilds who have the capability of easily clearing heroic relatively quickly, but also don’t have the time or patience for Mythic raid roster management.

10 Likes

We all eventually get to a point in our lives where it becomes impractical to prioritize the hardest content of a video game within it. To me this should mean that we find other things to do within the game that better suits our lives.

I wouldn’t want to make game content like Mythic raiding easier so that I can do it according to my own life constraints if it means depriving a new, younger and more committed group of raiders the opportunity to enjoy the same challenges I did.

3 Likes

In my opinion, if the mythic mode were 10 players, it would be very positive for the game. There would be significantly more guilds active, and some roles like tanks would have more players as well. In addition, it would be much more valuable to have a gap in a guild since, being smaller rosters, they would close earlier and there would not be as many jumpers.

9 Likes

Regardless of size the same challenges will present themselves. Encounter spaces will still be made significantly easier to Navigate with a Warlock. Damage checks will still be easier to manage with certain specs. The buff/debuff matrix is still something that is a gain to manage effectively.

The 20man size made it so that these challenges could be made with some roster flexibility after the fact all of these checks have been made.

However, challenges that some guilds face are purely down to the management of a guild and the raid roster. This isn’t an issue of the game per se but one that can be resolved by making those challenges easier to navigate.

For example, a second gateway option could be afforded to mages as a “mass blink”, debuffs could be given out via consumables at a weaker rate, buffs could be done via consumables at a weaker rate (as they had been done in the past).

For the final stage of the number of people. To be honest, that’s not an issue. If you’re wanting to push to the highest levels of the game, some level of organisation is required on your part, if that’s not for you then you jump ship to find a team that’s willing to do that.

Finding a team where the goals resonate with yours is your prerogative as a player. Yelling into the void isn’t going to fix that issue.

1 Like

Had to give up on Mythic raiding last week because we only managed to get 18/20, and pugging for guild progression on a boss we’re just starting (Xy’mox) is just a no-go. Even if people apply to join us exploring the boss in the first stages, big chance they won’t stick around.

Mythic raiding should be challenging gameplay, not team management. I’ll go play some kind of soccer manager simulator if I enjoyed that.

9 Likes

We already did that too in Nyalotha though :wink:

2 Likes

I’d love to have 10 man myth back… still enough to handle and manage. This was the best time that I ever had in raids… is has never been the same after that. As the population of the game sinks, it’s harder and harder to fill raids with people that have the same goals in raiding.

7 Likes

With all these different raid utility and party utility spells in DF I can’t see them ever letting go of the 20 man hard limit and it’s probably for the better good of everyone.

1 Like