Is survival fun?

I know the logs have it very low on the charts, but is survival a fun spec to play? Thinking of leveling one to see, but looking for opinions. Main gameplay would be M+ and bgs.

2 Likes

I would give it a shot if you’re interested in it. These forums are pretty divided on the spec both for gameplay reasons, and due to how it was implemented. It’s not my cup of tea, but if you like the idea of fighting up close and personal with a pet, zipping from foe to foe with harpoons, or making use of bombs then it’s at least worth a shot. If not, then I’d look for something else to enjoy.

As for how it performs, objectively it’s not in the best spot right now but it (along with BM) just got 5% buffs this week. I believe it has uncapped AOE damage so if you have a M+ group that is open to having a melee and pulls multiple packs, it might do alright there. PvP it has the weak point of the pet (again, along with BM). SV needs the pet alive to generate focus and even with the +20% damage reduction for pets in pvp they tend to get melted.

For raiding, there are barely any SV hunters in mythic, and overall SV is low on the totem pole.

Regardless of performance, I will always recommend you play what you want to play. Give the spec a shot, and if you like it then roll with it regardless of performance. If you stick it out, I would be sure to take the mongoose bite talent and make sure to get lots of haste to improve the feeling of the spec.

Extremely fun in bg’s

9 Likes

I think it’s a lot of fun. I play it without an active alt atm–something I haven’t felt satisfied doing in a few expansions.

2 Likes

It’s a lot of fun and a real shame they didn’t make the numbers more competitive

11 Likes

I always answer this type of question the same way:

It’s purely subjective! Only you know what you like — you’re gonna have to try out MSV for yourself. :slightly_smiling_face: At the very least, you could use Class Trial to test the spec out.

4 Likes

It’s very fun if you talent into Mongoose Bite and Wildfire Infusion.

2 Likes

Super fun. I dropped BM for SV. I was keeping up with fire mages in groups and MM hunters.

Raiding is likely a different story. Depends on what you wanna do in the game.

1 Like

Mongoose bite isn’t good at low haste levels you can’t get enough swings in the window, plus in bg’s you may not always have good uptime on targets and end up wasting the stacks

Tip of the spear is where it’s at, for pve too according to some guides

3 Likes

I’ve changed over from Mongoose for the last week. I miss the constant mashing of the button, but I love setting up big hits with 3X KC then Raptor. Gives me more freedom to test out legendaries in the rotation and set up the right Wildfire grenade for better synergy with the rotation.

Thus far, I like it. Takes a bit to get used to, but will leave more room for something other than Mongoose Bite spam. It’s better in AoE by a significant amount.

If you run Necrolord, you can run Mongoose Bite with current haste levels.

2 Likes

The problem with Mongoose bite is the margin for error is much higher than it is for tip of the spear and you have to pool resources before you even start a window.

It doesn’t help that Mongoose bite at no stacks is much weaker than an unbuffed raptor strike. So in order to make mongoose bite work you would have to have very high haste and near perfect play to get results that are just on par with tip.

3 Likes

As a casual player ill say I have more fun with BM. Surv seems fun on the surface for sure and the grappling hook is cool but the rotation feels pretty bland to me at 60.

2 Likes

What makes bm fun?

1 Like

I find it fun to send my 2 pets in to wreck everything while managing focus and plinking from the distance. I NEVER thought I’d like a hunter but after trying every class this exp BM is the only one I got a legendary for.

1 Like

Having a high margin of error isn’t a bad thing.
That’s called a high skillcap, and it’s what makes the spec fun in the first place.

3 Likes

It is if the higher skill cap doesn’t net any rewards. Usually the benefit of higher skill cap is that your are rewarded with higher dps for the effort but currently you aren’t.

2 Likes

There is a reward.
You ever run with weights on your legs then taken them off?

Tip is better sustained, but a well timed mongoose window during death chakram + rolling bomb and crow damage is still a bigger burst window. It’s just very marginal.
Feels good to pull it off, though.

2 Likes

Survival is very fun, try it out for yourself before you read all the “MSV is crap! Bring back RSV” mumbo jumbo and decide to not try it out. I’ve played Ranged SV and Melee SV they are both enjoyable and both have/had their own perks. I’d advise against going into end game PvE content with Survival, its not exactly built for PvE imo. It’s great in PvP if you take the time to learn and understand the spec properly.

5 Likes

Yeah this sure sounds “fun”. How far Survival has fallen…

4 Likes