Is Shadowlands story keeping you as invested as Legion did? TL;DR at the end

So, I wanted to ask others this because since Legion was my first expansion ever, I might look at it through rose-colored glasses, but I don’t know, I was so invested in the story, even if I was a completely newbie at the game and barely did any end game content. I mean, Dalaran was the coolest thing I ever seen, “A magical kingdom ruled by a council of mages? This is amazing!” At that point I was still a Paladin, but then, when I was half-way through Suramar I just fell in love with mages all around, I loved everything about the class fantasy at that point. Suramar also was one of the coolest storylines I’ve ever seen. It felt for me like how Knights of the Fallen/Eternal Empire/Throne felt in SWTOR, it really felt story-driven and I loved every piece of it.

Then, Demons were everywhere! Even inside cities if your class could see them, Azeroth was flooded in Fel(Even if those lakes were fairly annoying to transverse by) and it really felt like a world ending situation where you were fighting against time. By the time we got to Argus, everything was so interesting. Void being used as a weapon for good? I know Shadow Priests did that, but it was really interesting seeing a Main Character master it. The Army of the Light and for the first time seeing that the Light can be quite tyrannical? I mean, at that point I was still playing my Paladin(My first character) even if it as an alt and it was so interesting that for me, something that has always been a force of good in the lore show it’s dark side.

But the best part is how hopeless things felt. I can’t quite put it, but it really felt like Sargeras was always one minute away from raining down destruction upon Azeroth while we, mere mortals, did everything we could to stop him.

Now, in Shadowlands? I don’t know, I am not exactly feeling anything towards our enemies. Don’t get me wrong, you get some really nice details like Tyrande calling you “Child of Teldrassil” if you are a Night Elf, Kael’thas saying “Our kingdom. Our people” if you are a Blood/Void Elf, I am sure Vol’jin in the Maw quest had special things to say for the Horde for killing that bat Loa and perhaps something else for Trolls(I am not sure though).

Still, the Jailer? He doesn’t feel like a world ending threat looming at the horizon waiting for us to do a single wrong move despite that being exactly what he is doing… I don’t know how to explain but Legion started off with things already being terrible for us, many dying in the Broken Shore(Still one of the coolest scenarios where the Horde and Alliance could see each other… How come they never did this again?) and then demons were everywhere in the Broken Shores. But in Shadowlands, it feels like the Jailer doesn’t even care about anything, he is just there swirling his villain mustache and cackling at us.

Another thing is just how… Physical the Shadowlands feel. It certainly surprised me, I just expected it to be more magical I guess. But no, you die, you get a whole new body that makes you look almost identical to everyone else and you just keep working someway or another… I mean, it really doesn’t feel that peaceful and it really bothers me how even though mortals were never supposed to cross the veil, there is an influx of Azerothians just walking around like it’s nothing… Again, there is no mystique left in the Shadowlands, in the afterlife.

I don’t know, just some thoughts, I am really sorry for the wall of text.

I know many of you won’t read everything so the TL;DR is -
I was more hooked in Legion’s story though might be because of nostalgia, it truly felt like Azeroth could be destroyed at any second and had great storylines like Suramar, in Shadowlands it just feels like the Jailer doesn’t even care about anything.

4 Likes

Fills like a lot of filler going on

13 Likes

Nope, or at least I certainly didn’t pick up on anything that would sound race-unique.

To me, Shadowlonds is…eh. It’s okay, if I ignore the premise. Which is a problem, because you shouldn’t have to feel like you do that when that’s meant to be the hook to draw you in to begin with. But there’s no getting around the fact that this is more or less BFA Part 2. I thought Legion is okayish for the most part too, but my complaints about it back then were more about how I felt like I was just along for the ride and that I was largely on loan while most of the heavy movers seemed like they’d be more meaningful to alliance fans. To me, this expansion’s more like Warlords of Draenor but the locale isn’t nearly as hokey of a concept.

I’m at least appreciating some of the humor in Shadowlands, and paying more attention to the non-faction side story stuff.

5 Likes

I mean, wth has Shadowlands got to do with Azeroth?

It just a bus stop with different ice-cream flavors that all taste yucky.

I’d of left the “heroes” who got dragged into The Maw to die and just closed my eyes to the hole in sky, while kicking back and enjoying a smoothie in Icecrown.

Well, because the Jailer’s end goal is to take Azeroth’s soul(The whole thing about being the most powerful titan to date that every major cosmological leader wants) so in theory we should be, you know, preparing something to deal with him but… He barely moves forward with his plan.

This is news to me.

Just how does he plan to do that?

Drag Azeroth into The Maw with chains?

Possibly will escape the maw to claim Azeroth, he literally said in the maw “Death comes for the soul of your world.”

That could literally mean anything since death isn’t restricted to one medium.

Yeah, but considering that the Void wants Azeroth, Arcane wants Azeroth through the Titans, Sargeras wanted Azeroth destroyed because of the Void, if Elune truly created the Naaru than the Light might be interested in Azeroth too… Yeah, something tells me he quite literally wants the Soul of our World to increase his power.

mmm. Sounds stupid in any case.

So when do we get to kill Sylvanas?

4 Likes

Who knows if we’ll even kill her, they seem to be setting up a redemption for her. Also a literal god of death I doubt is trying to be vague with a threat like that.

Urgh I hope not. Forums would have a field day.

Pretty sure he’s just crazy. I mean I would be if I was stuck in The Maw like he was.

Being crazy doesn’t mean he’s not laying down a serious threat like every other cosmic force lol, I mean even N’zoth seemed to think “only I can save this world, from what is to come.”

I mean I just fail to see why I should be impressed or fearful in any way when I uh “smoked” an Old God just afew months ago.

You shouldn’t, because the story is designed in such a way that even long established villains are beaten easily. And we trounce every threat that comes along, the story lacks stakes anymore and the heroes of Azeroth need a loss.

5 Likes

We need a proper Endtimes then.

No cause the end times wasn’t exactly beloved, we need a loss that’s substantial enough to give us pause but not the end of the world where there’s no chance of getting the victory.

Then lets blow a chunk out of Azeroths surface.

How about 1/4th?

1 Like

What I wanted was N’zoth to win, but they introduced him trying to corrupt the forge of origination to recreate the world in his image. Instead of him having the black empire actually reform and take over a few zones, after we fail to kill him in the raid and narrowly escape.

2 Likes

Also that’s the sundering 2.0 you’re suggesting lol