Is Shadowlands even worth being called an expansion?

Man, the list keeps growing! This is gonna some kind of monstrous patch if it’s not an expansion. Good thing it’s an expansion I guess!

1 Like

IMO Allied races is their new system for introducing races. We’re probably never going to get new non-allied races. After all what were blood elves, goblins, worgens, pandas, etc if not races that eventually allied with us? Allied races concept is just giving us story for why races came over to our side that also requires players to put more time into the game.

I mean…I agree that this is the pattern, but I wouldn’t tie it to new classes.

I did read the post.

BC was poorly received?

But you are.

Yeah I did read. But you seem to want to ignore everything I wrote.

8 Likes

New races and new classes is not what makes an xpac great. It is the content of the xpac that determines that. Besides all of that is your opinion, people hated…HATED MoP when it was out. WoLK or rise of the “welfare epics” and you had to have a level 60 to make that hero class at the time. There was tons of hate for how cartoon evil Arthas was as well.

People also claim that Legion was good but discount the fact that they stop working on WoD about half way through to get Legion ready. If Blizzard had put more work into WoD, like they did with MoP could that xpac have been saved? Also was it really a good xpac or did it look good because we came off of such a poor xpac?

Content is what makes an xpac good or bad. New races and classes are just things that make the xpac pretty. I don’t care how good a new class is, if the content is bad it is not going to be fun the away.

14 Likes

The thread is about Activision-Blizzard, Activision didn’t exist during TBC. They merged during Wolk

7 Likes

It’s definitely an “expansion” and arguing over that is pointless. The question is, will they have systems that are enjoyable and will classes feel good when we take them through this new content?

Really hoping they learned their lessons from BfA, despite what we see in 8.3. The way they handle Covenants will say a lot about that. We will have to see what they release in Beta because that’s going to basically be the finished product.

11 Likes

I’m not disagreeing that its not an expansion. I’m just hesitant to think what we are getting and what we have been shown so far is enough.

2 Likes

“no new systems”

What do you even know about the specifics? No more than the rest of us

Clearly not

Pot meet kettle. Have the last word, we’re not even debating just mudslinging. Have a good one!

5 Likes

The thread’s topic is. I’m sticking to the thread’s topic, I’m not veering into the goalpost moving aspects of any posts.

Not arguing it’s not an expac. Just reserving judgement based on a true product or better details. I personally think we didn’t get much info from Blizzcon. The deep dive left me with more questions than answers.

This is clearly a good business model and the least likely to incite backlash.

It’ll be an expansion op, I just don’t think it’ll be a good one. Holding off on my preorder and hoping for some good feedback before I buy.

5 Likes

This is something that should be done with any Blizzcon reveal. Look at every xpac and compare it to what we ended up with. We can start with Wrath and not getting the dance studio or Path of Titians. They are tons of things that have been cut or never added. Blizzcon is about getting the hype train going but I am happy to see that Shadowlands has not been hyped up. So for me the expectation that we may get the little we have been shown is higher.

I believe that Blizzard does its best when they have something to prove. After an xpac flops, they have the motivation to show they still have it in them to do better. Once they happens they are back to coasting on a high and are not that hungry to prove themselves. It is a cycle that repeats…kinda like the Alliance and Horde.

3 Likes

To be fair to Arith, you referenced half of their whole statement. Here’s the other half:

Helps when you keep reading rather than stopping partway through once you found the “line” you want to quote out of context.

1 Like

I feel like all expansions start off on at least a decent foot. Ignoring WoD’s very bad launch stability issues the gameplay was not panned for a while, but it quickly petered out after a month or so and people realized they had nothing to do. I don’t think BFA was really lambasted for a while either.

Yes. I did. Because :

This thread is about how OP thinks Shadowland is not an “expansion”. I made a list that proves him wrong. Then Arith agreed. That’s all that mattered. Suddenly going “It’s an expansion BUT…” leaves me disinterested in future speculation about un previewed content.

1 Like

I thought the same about BFA when they announced the expac at blizzcon. While everybody was hyped, it didn’t have anything I would find interesting other than the allied races.

2 Likes

New classes don’t make or break expansions.

So, you judge an expansion depending on whether there is a new class or allied race included? Maybe you should stop playing, take all of your money and go spend it on those TCG games that guarantee you a shiny card in each pack, that seems more your thing.