Is remote desktop banned now?

You are not going to get a confirmation or denial from blizzard about outside software. Use at your own risk.

2 Likes

That sounds like it’s treading on the edge of cloud gaming which hasn’t been allowed for quite a while now.

6 Likes

Remotely accessing your account is absolutely prohibited and will almost certainly get you suspended for a very long time.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge it has never been allowed. There is a section I. The Tos about cloud computing and I seem to recall this fell under that?

If I am wrong, I apologize and somebody will correct me.

Remote desktop is not the same as cloud gaming, and it has never been against the EULA to use remote desktop.

However, they are similar. Could using it potentially get your account actioned - there are no guarantees - so avoiding it is often recommended.

Their definition is inclusive of cloud computing and beyond. It’s always been against the EULA.

1 Like

This game predates cloud gaming, and that particular article of the EULA is a relatively recent (within the past couple years) addition.

Remote access isn’t the issue so much as remote hosting and potential unauthorized access.

Leilleath - The description of “Cloud computing” is specific - and that description does not describe remote desktop, by any interpretation. Remote desktop does not involve transmitting data through a third party, and that is absolutely required for anything to be considered cloud computing, as is stated clearly in what you quoted…

Your not gona get a clear cut answer from blizzard its use at your risk people will and have tried to lawyer up saying but a blue said such and such and was proven wrong.

1 Like

The input data from the prime device is captured and copied to the client device through the remote desktop software. The prime device requires an internet connection to reach the client device, which does not need any internet connection itself because it piggybacks off of the prime, so that is absolutely data transmitted through a third-party server and is 100% cloud computing.

So who owns the third party server that the data is being transmitted from. Or, you’re saying transmitting data over the internet is against the rules, because the internet is owned by a third party? Browsing a website is cloud computing, because i use the internet?

To jump off this, we seen reports from folks getting action for using such when Classic roughly came out. Often stating they they wanted to log onto the game from work because of the hours long wait to get in.

2 Likes

I was just about to add that same info Tolna! I remember people using remote software to stay “logged in” while they were at work etc. It didn’t turn out well for them.

I don’t think I have the thread anymore, but I remember Vrak recommending against the use of that sort of software. While it may not be considered cloud computing per se, it still could get you into some trouble.

I’ll see if I can dig up the old thread.

1 Like

Everyone is banging a square peg into a round hole. Remote desktop isn’t cloud computing, full stop, it is black and white.

Vrak has recommended against using it. Blues in tech support have also stated that it is not cloud computing and not against the EULA, for that reason.

That doesn’t mean using remote desktop is a good idea, or can’t possibly run afoul of any other rules, or potentially result in a ban. Because they’re similar. As I already said.

Link that.

It is in this actual thread.

Was it this one?

I found that one too. Really that says the same thing as the one I was thinking of too.

2 Likes

It isn’t technically the same. Cloud computing allows for certain data to be remotely accessed by anyone with the information needed to login to the cloud streaming application (or whatever equivalent access mechanism).

Remote desktop allows a single connected device to access everything that is locally accessible from the client device.

1 Like