Is melee hunters going to be removed?

Not my post just want to redirect.

Not in 9.2. They are looking to be one of the strongest specs for M+ in 9.2. My guess is if (big if) they are trying to decide to get rid of it or not they will make it OP in 9.2 because that will force FOTM players to use it and really decide if they like it or not. Many hunters have never given survival a real shot and this will force them to really learn and try it out. If the majority of players still hate it then maybe they remove it in 10.0 but again that is very unlikely. I don’t think blizzard wants to change an icon class too much. Hunter is already in a good place. You have BM that is extremely beginner friendly, MM which has a bit more complexity once players get bored of MM, and then you have survival for players to give melee a shot and it has arguably the most complex rotation if you try to maximize AOE with wildfire infusion.

1 Like

I don’t think it’ll be removed. Though I really enjoy it as is, I can see it being transformed again if it remains less popular–similarly to how it was from Legion to BfA.

In vanilla, hunter was a class that always had a ranged and melee weapon. To remove the melee aspect entirely once more would take away from the return to the roots, imo. Even if it became a primarily ranged spec again, I think use of melee weapons should be part of at least 1 spec. Otherwise it is missing a solid chunk of what it had access to as a class.

On another note, noticing an uptick in SV popularity lately.

1 Like

SV Hunter is not losing its melee. Ever.

4 Likes

If it doesn’t, ranged SV enjoyers will just go to wotlk classic.

2 Likes

If I was a betting man, I would say no, melee has been since Legion, I don’t think it is going away. Disclaimer I don’t work for blizz, nor do I know anyone working for blizz so at this point it is just a guess on my part.

In terms of ranged SV, I could see them maybe bringing back ranged SV as a 4th spec.

But if melee SV will be removed then it would have to happen during the lull between expansions, after all the SL content is played out.

Oh boy here we go again. inb4 the wOd WaS tHe BeSt TiMe FoR sUrViVaL. lUl BoWs R gOd.

Lacking a ranged weapon is far, far worse than lacking a melee weapon in terms of representing the roots of the class.

11 Likes

I mean if we want to get technical here the roots of the class used both Ranged and melee which is what we have now.

No need to pick one over the other when we can have both

2 Likes

Ranged is far more central, unique, and iconic than melee. It’s an easy choice.

Having both was a weakness because it meant we couldn’t use our vastly superior ranged toolkit within 5 yards like we can now.

5 Likes

Well now we have both so everyone is happy

3 Likes

No, we don’t. We have BM and MM being sensibly designed and SV lacking the most immediately recognisable and iconic part of the class thus causing 95% of Hunters to avoid it entirely.

5 Likes

Who cares lol if you don’t like it don’t play it

You got 2 other specs to choose from

2 Likes

Evidently a lot of people care since it’s the single most debated topic on the Hunter forums. In fact it’s probably the most controversial of all class design topics just judging by reply counts.

“Live and let live” doesn’t work here. Melee Survival replaced ranged Survival and melee players had far more specs to choose from, including every spec added to the game post-launch (one of which in the very same expansion as melee Survival).

8 Likes

If you look at the class as a whole, it is 2 parts ranged, 1 part melee.

Back in the original talent tree, SV was the direction you took to improve melee prowess. You gained a literal melee attack (Counterattack), as well as parry, a parry/dodge cooldown–and some general class boosts (trap buffs/resistence/etc).

Even if you began the fight as ranged back then, to remove the melee component entirely once more takes away from what the class had at its base. SV was designed to be efficient as it wove in and out of close combat, and that’s where it is once more.

I like having more weapon options also. Much like when I play a DH, I don’t want to be limited to warglaives. It’s nice to have something for everyone–especially when that is what was originally intended.

2 Likes

I think you’re trapped in your own head here

There’s no hot debate about Survival being melee lol and there’s no chance they’ll put it back to ranged

4 Likes

Frost DK got 2h back after losing it in legion. Very similar situation to ranged SV. The topic was brought up all the time on forums and class discords, just like ranged SV.

4 Likes

You just opened pandoras box of spurg responses here lad

my boomkin can do ranged too. Its not that unique. Cope is a powerful

Has never played spec Make sure were honest here

because you go out of your way to let all 3 of your EU followers know you still afraid of using a polearm. I even predicted this was about to happen because of how basic you are lol. Cant wait to see the lvl 10 alts show up cause its coming.

Dont do it, he doesnt like facts, just his own salt

Brotha, you have no idea. Hes the definition of delusional

hes gonna say something stupid like, “well the class icon is a bow so obviously its supposed to be ranged only” even though the DKs is an axe and they can use swords and crap.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between balancing different weapon options and completely reworking a spec.

I don’t think any reasonable amount of players actually want Ranged Hunter Rotation #3 back when we now get to play both ranged and melee.

1 Like

What makes you think that? MSV has been one of the most avoided specs since its inception while RSV was a regularly popular spec. This should give you an indication towards the contrary.

9 Likes