Is Melee Hunter going to be removed?

I want the old style hunter back where the toon can hold a bow or gun and staff weapon on their back. Best hunter setup ever.

1 Like

i mean this whole game is trash and none of the classes are how they were when the game was good. soooo who cares

One was on a 6 second cd, the other could only be used after dodging a melee attack. Wing Clip was a snare that did very little damage to help you get back to range. These only existed because at the time hunters could not shoot targets within melee range. Primary damage was always from ranged weapons.

7 Likes

SV is both, and you attack via range attacks, and then pull yourself in to melee attack, then repeat.

1 Like

Ranged, something revolving around their green lightning ability, exploding casks, and temporary pets (Crane, tiger, etc. like a Druids treants but effectively act as DoTs.)

1 Like

They have, when they removed the old SV/RSV to put this melee spec in there.

I’m not one of them(just wanted to make that clear).

Ironically, current SV shares more with BM in theme, fantasy, and mechanics, than old SV shared with MM when they removed it, saying that “it was sort of like Marksmanship, just with more traps, or different arrows”.

Reading between the lines, this pretty much equates to how they think that any two specs focusing on the use of ranged weapons can’t have enough distinction between them, purely because they both focus on using ranged weapons. Which is like saying that you can’t have two specs both focusing on casting spells, because then both would be focusing on casting spells…etc.

Like you, and many others here, have said already, this would be the optimal solution.

The biggest issue I have with it all is how they discarded the old SV, saying what they did to justify it. They did this at a time when they were working to add depth and more distinguishing elements to all specs, as a “feature” of the new expansion. But with Survival, they just didn’t bother?

Not saying that any modern version of the old SV/RSV would be perfect for everyone, but what you can find below definitely wouldn’t play like current MM does.

9 Likes

I’m one of the very few who never liked Demonology randomly turning into a demon instead of controlling demons like it was supposed to, so thats yet another change I dont mind :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

They were going for the spear throwing hunting style but then you don’t throw any spears and you toss grenades around and one of your two major cooldowns makes you fully ranged again. So the melee hunter part of surv is the “conserve” phase while waiting to be able to use all your spells from forty yards away. It’s clunky and weird and the spec doesn’t commit to what it’s supposed to be.

Dark Ranger heavy magic focused is what the new surv should have been. The way Sylvanas fights. Not really a marksman. More than a marksman. No pet at all. And 90% shadow damage.

5 Likes

Survival as a melee spec adds so much to the Hunter game play. Keep it melee!

3 Likes

They look like trash.

Yes. Removing the Water strider’s inherit water-walking ability.
And removing the Ranged Survival Hunter Spec.

6 Likes

I dig it.

Maybe throwing knives is their auto attack?

1 Like

ahh yes, carve and raptor strike. it added a whole 2 melee abilities to the hunter class. way to go blizz!

10 Likes

SV for me is more fun then bm. Haven’t really tried MM this expansion, though I hear it’s annoying to have your pet tied to using lust, when your aoe is better off without a pet. SV has been fun in mythic plus and torgast.

2 Likes

While I don’t care for it, I hope it doesn’t get removed and the small number of MSV hunters don’t have to go through what RSV hunters did. Though there are times when some MSV defenders kind of make me feel otherwise. I would rather see the old RSV style come back and updated for the modern game. Then again I also would like to see the old Wrath/Cata MM style back too.

2 Likes

You also started with a ranged weapon, most of your toolkit was ranged, and the class was both tuned and designed to be most effective at ranged combat no matter what spec you chose.

That’s the manual page from 2004. Note the heavy emphasis on ranged combat.

No Hunter spec lacked a ranged weapon before 7.0. It is absolutely the central element of the class and Survival’s lack of it is the primary reason for its general abandonment by Hunter players.

Does it? Because I can fight in melee range as BM or MM just fine. What exactly does it add? Something more familiar to Rogue/Warriors for their parked Hunter alts?

10 Likes

Blizzard removed melee hunter abilities from all hunters before they removed ranged survival hunter. The redesign brought melee back into one spec. I used to main hunter when it was a mixed ranged/melee. The pure ranged aspect really dumbed the class down.

3 Likes

Core aspects of the game are never removed. Only way they remove specs would be if they removed them all OR a WoW 2.

Nope! Old Surv hunter was weird and had no identity. its staying forever as melee cause its unique. People begged for old outlaw back but they said no, outlaw rogues being pirates was here to stay.

2 Likes

I think Beastmastery should have been melee, because I’m a child of the '80s.

4 Likes