Is Light inherently more corruptible than Void?

We’ve seen many instances of Light being corrupted by Void, but I can’t really think of any cases of Void being corrupted by Light off of my head. There’s a few cases of Naaru, like M’uru, being “re-corrupted” to the Light again after being corrupted by the Void, but idk if I’d count that. The only example of the Light corrupting someone that I can really think of is Xe"ra attempting to forcibly convert Illidan, a being who aligns with Fel.

1 Like

Light has to manually corrupt while the Void simply has to find a weak point and cascade the corruption to the vessels when their link to the Light is disrupted.

If the Light were to corrupt a source of Void then you can bet that any Old Gods linked to the Void Lord would suffer the same problem as the Naaru.

Basically the Naaru work similar to the Khala though in the case of Naaru taking out one part of the chain splits the chain into two separate chains thus unlike the Khala it is more limited so beings can’t exactly hide their presence within the Naaru as a whole like Amon did with the Khala.

Any Void Entity who tries to live in the Naaru chain would find that breaking the chain in two would create free Void Naaru to it’s chagrin.

1 Like

Nope. The forces of light would rather kill their enemies. :flashlight::robot:

…although I think Tyr tampered with protodrakes and lost a hand for it. :carpentry_saw::robot:

The Void is not “corruptible”. The Void IS the corruption.

Similarly, the Light does not “corrupt”. The Light is a cleansing force of purity, noted to bring about feelings of joy, solace, and reprieve.

That infamous chart from Chronicles I really ruined the normies’ perception of this setting.

2 Likes

Xe’ra tried to corrupt Illidian with Light magic

More like she tried to cleanse him from corruptive scars embedded into his flesh by the big bad guy of the franchise.

4 Likes

Maybe when you Lightforge a demon?

The only cases so far, was the potential case of illidan and the worlds locked into stasis by the light

2 Likes

Blizzard’s writers don’t find tales of redemption compelling the way they do corruption-- because corruption gives us boss monsters to turn into loot piñatas.

I think the cosmological thing Chronicles did well is to dichotomize the Light and Void into emotions and positivity/negativity.

I don’t think it is so much that the Light is corruptible, more that those who wield the Light can stray from it.

Traditionally, it appears that Zealotry, Pride, and Hate (hallmarks of Scarlets) close one of from the compassion of the Light and open them to darker forces. That is way so many evil Light users succumb to Shadow and Fel.

I also don’t think it comes as a surprise that all those emotions are embodied by the Sha.

That was until recent Wow. I’m not sure what the message is supposed to be now.

Corruption in WoW seems best defined (in my opinion at least) as any deviation from an entity or object’s natural state (as in, what they came into existence as).

By that definition, anything and everything can be corrupted. That means the Light can, ‘Corrupt,’ as well. The Lightforged and Lightbound would be examples of such.

While also inducing zealousness, close-mindedness, and absence of critical thought. There are pro’s and con’s to every cosmic force and the Light is not unique in this regard.

Zealotry, Pride, and Hate are hallmarks of the Light as well.

Every cosmic force has it’s pro’s and con’s. X’era is as much a being of pure Light as A’dal is, although the two are extremely different, just as the Winter Queen and Primus are both beings of death, and extremely different.

1 Like

That is where I am not so sure. In modern wow- yes they have tried to make that connection. But in the Old World, the more zealous one was, the more they fell prey to darker forces.

If the Light was a zealous force, then why didn’t it make the Scarlets resistant against corruption?

I would think the more fervor one has in the Light the less they could be made pawns.

It seems to me that zeal is a perversion of the Light.

In old wow, one was more susceptible to being misled. That was the great downfall of the Scarlets. Their zealotry, prejudice, and hate made it all too easy for the Dreadlords to manipulate them. They weren’t being corrupted by Fel. They were blinded by the Light. That was the message their existence conveyed; those who stare into the Light for too long are blinded by it, and can no longer see.

Unfortunately, Zeal is an aspect of the Light.

We’ve seen the Light with many different facets, the same as we do any cosmic force. A’dal is a being of immense compassion and tolerance. By contrast, Xe’ra is a being of immense zealotry and prejudice. She stated ONLY the Light was the path to salvation and truth, and she herself was a Naaru, a being of the Light. She is proof that Zealotry is a part of the Light, not a corruption leading one from it.

Every cosmic power has it’s risks and rewards for those whom practice it. For mages, there is always that risk of succumbing to the lust for more power. For warlocks, it’s selling your soul to become more like a demon. For paladins, zealotry has always been that big risk factor. Priests too, to an extent, but as they also have the shadow spec they also run the risk of insanity from void.

I think we are saying the same thing honesty.

They perverted their beliefs. They took something to an extreme and instead of a reward, they were punished. They weren’t literally being corrupted by fel, but it was a gradual fall from grace.

That’s why they have Shadow Priests in Northrend.

And Everything from X’era onward is where I would site the major shift in the presentation of the Light and Void.

Chronicles mentions that the Light and Void, though bound, are opposites. The Void is “Dark and vampiric” it seeks to consume and destroy. The Light on the other hand brings joy and hope.

The Void Lords are pure shadow and malice. The Naaru strive for peace and hope.

X’era broke that mold (unless she too was in the process of corruption).

In many ways, the Scarlets are like a Darkened Naaru.

The Scarlets metaphorically went from a “Light State” to a “Void State”. They let their hearts turn cold.

They gained the Light through those extreme beliefs. The Light requires willpower to wield. The Blood Knights are another example of those wielding the Light not by joy and hope, but by their own extreme beliefs. It was not harmonic, but it still worked for them.

X’era didn’t break the mold. She just made official what always was, since WoW began.

The Scarlets aren’t like a darkened Naaru. They’re like Xe’ra, whom is the, ‘Light Mother.’ Zealotry is part and parcel of the Light. It’s not a fall from grace, it’s an aspect of the cosmic power. As far back as the Scarlets, it was evident. It’s grown more evident from Xe’ra, to AU Draenor and Yrel’s antics, even to the budding threat that is the new Arathi Empire.

You say the Void Lords are pure shadow and malice, but that’s not quite true, either. They’re agents of change and potential. The void consumes, yes, but that’s only one aspect of it, and I imagine we’ll be learning more about it as WoW goes on.

The Scarlets gained the Light through “extreme” belief and then lost it. You see the end result in Northrend. The more extreme, the more you depart from the Light. Zealotry didn’t steel their resolve, it plunged them into manipulation.
By then end of TBC, the Blood Knights also dropped their act of syphoning from a Naaru. Plus, I’ve always saw their method as a more mechanical use of the Light. As the source doesn’t come from within, it came from a literal Light battery.
The point being, these methods to connect with the Light do not hold-up in the long term.
Xe’ra onward is a departure, especially when Chronicles explicitly stated the Light and Naaru to be benevolent.
Prior to Chronicles, evil-light users would always cave to darker magic.
Post-legion, its all different. The light is stagnation, the void is endless possibility, etc.

There were plenty of Scarlets in Northrend capable of using the Light still. The Raven Priests were the Dreadlord’s way to protect the Scarlets from the Scourge. They didn’t lose the Light, they were blinded to the fact that the Raven Priests were wielding a power completely different from it.

But you dont think over time, they would have embraced the Raven Priesthood? Those still using the Light, I’d argue, were still in the early stages as those closest to the Dread Lord had already turned. The whole concept was about perversion. Same thing in Strat, the Scarlets always become what they hate.

Zovaal did what to Ilidan?

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nevermind that the scarlets went right back to regular light use during the attack on the forsaken