Is it weird for MALES (irl) to play FEMALE characters ingame?

my friends give me so much hate because i made a female void elf mage instead of a male and i told them the female models look better in my opinion than the male one (i still think male looks good but female just looks better idk what it is). so i am trying to prove a point with this thread because im about to buy a appearance change at this point.

8 Likes

MMORPG

Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

76 Likes

Perhaps the only thing that’s “wrong” would be trying to force yourself to like something that others say you should like. Enjoy what you enjoy. Absolutely nothing wrong to me with an in RL man playing a female toon. Same goes for vice versa, or anything in between.

In fact, my wife has a couple male toons and I have a couple female toons. I LOVE it when we play together and others assume the RL sex/gender of us. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Love that kinda *^%#.

33 Likes

Just tell him your character is your waifu.
He may still think you’re weird, but not the kind of weird you’re trying to avoid here.

8 Likes

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls.

Or at least wait until Sunday, per tradition.

13 Likes

More often than not I end up playing female characters given the choice. Even back in like 3rd grade or whatever when Pokemon R/S came out I picked the femc. Could I give you a pinpoint reason as to why? Not really.

1 Like

No.

/thread

9 Likes

Oh look its this thread again.

7 Likes

I feel like this thread has been talked to death multiple times…

8 Likes

Well this thread is new and exciting.

7 Likes

Oh tell them to hush. This isn’t the 1950s anymore. Guys can play girls and girls can play guys, it’s not a big deal. We’re all secretly cats anyways.

Play what you enjoy! That’s all that matters and no one can tell you otherwise. :smile:

8 Likes

Is it a little weird if it’s a consistent thing across multiple games? Yeah probably.

Does it really matter at the end of the day? No, not really.

That said, in WoW, male models are all so ridiculously roided out that I can’t stand them. WoW is one game where playing female characters makes a lot of sense to me, just due to how obnoxious the males are.

Although, Blood Elves / Void Elves are probably one of the least offensive models in that regard. And I’m excluding the comic relief races.

It does NOT matter at all what you play! Play what makes you happy.
Your friends should not be telling you what to play and should not make fun of what you play.
I have a good balance of both male and female, usually because I like the animations better than the other gender.
It is not weird to play the opposite gender.

No, I don’t think so… As long as you don’t use “I prefer staring at a woman’s butt” this is bullcrap because I am pretty sure 90% us don’t look at our character’s butt.
But yeah, female animations and models are 200% better IMO, no problem there.

4 Likes

i say it get’s weird when you try and use said female character to get stuff, making people believe you are female.

me tho some characters look better as female with gear. for the most part tho my characters are male, i switched my warrior to an orc female. and that lasted all of 1 month. the gear looked more streamlined, but it just felt like it wasn’t brutal looking enough.

2 Likes

I’m going to assume this is a Sunday thread.

If it’s not, then please easily show your friends the countless number of threads on this exact subject. You should have no issue finding multiple with a simple search.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/search?q=male%20playing%20female

Definitely this though. I don’t expect anyone to constantly proclaim their IRL gender in chat to avoid potential confusion, but if you actively lead people to believe you’re the gender of your character when you’re not, whether or not it’s to try and get favors, you’ve gone too far. It’s extremely offputting if the truth slips out later. I cut contact with one of the first people I met in this game over lies like that.

1 Like

Never gonna get tired of using this one.

12 Likes

I think we often see this mentality in new players. With time, you start to realize that the women figure is just more attractive, smoother, with more graceful motions and enchanting smells and comforting voices and just more fun all around to control. At least that’s the case in this game, in many people’s opinion. Give them time and eventually they’ll be doing the same.

No, and neither is the opposite. Heck, me and the GF have deliberately played on Alts of opposite gender just to mess with people.