Is it just me or are druids the best 5 man tank in the game?

ya i said it.

druids are the best 5 man tank in classic wow.

i have yet to run with a bad druid tank.

what say you classic forum?

15 Likes

They are while leveling for a few reasons. One is druids can actually level as feral. Warriors typically don’t level as prot. The other reason is druids are much more gear independent than a warrior tank.

7 Likes

Since druids level as feral it only makes sense to me they tank along the way. They get Swipe at level 16. It’s a very good threat generating ability. Something warriors don’t have.

1 Like

It might also have to do something about the fact that since Druid tanks are so uncommon, the ones that actually volunteer for tanking are probably relatively decent players.

9 Likes

maybe. but i give props to the druid tanks. good job. good job.

2 Likes

I remember a druid tank in Deadmines who was very doubtful about doing it but when he did it he did it fine.

Even better with devotion aura from a Paladin. :slight_smile:

All that armor and easy threat

1 Like

Depends on too many factors.

Druids are great. Warrior can bring higher dps and faster clear times if dual wielding or 2h. 1h + Shield warrior is slow.

For 5 man’s? Sure. Why not? Plus they can spell the healers and shift to heal, when shtf.

Druids are awesome 5man tanks. I think its understood warriors shine at 60. Getting there sucks, so Help the Warriors Level.

1 Like

At level 60, paladins are the best 5-man tank.

Druids are probably the best leveling tanks, though, and are fantastic at 60 as well.

Warriors are the worst 5-man tank. Shield Block is just OP in raids.

2 Likes

Just wait till we can get AQ40+ gear, we really begin to shine because we have the best threat generation. It makes bringing a bear almost a must

2 Likes

The difference in build between a tank and a melee dps spec druid is like…12 points. Many talents boost both cat and bear abilities. Most feral druids can reasonably do both. Before 60, druids do have it easier by virtue of class mechanics. I’d even argue that paladins have it better before that point. Once warriors get geared, it’s a different story.

1 Like

i leveled up as moonglow ^^

2 Likes

A lot of warriors don’t know how to tank because they mostly want to DPS anyway. To me, it’s the most fun part of the class and it functions fine in 5-man content. You certainly don’t have to be protection while leveling and it really doesn’t make you all that much tankier until deep in the tree.

If your warriors are taking too much damage, then they’re probably doing something wrong. Either their gear isn’t good for their level or they’re not keeping debuffs up. It’s not JUST about shield block.

I’d hesitate only for a few things that specifically aggro drop and need a taunt to get back. Paladin is very weak on those.

Nothing in deep prot makes you tankier. All defensive talents are at the beginning of prot.

1 Like

Feral gets a threat bonus from talents very early on whereas most warriors won’t have those talents since they are usually leveling as arms or fury. Also, they have a very reliable ability that hits 3 targets, and most of their rage is generated form their attacks, not from being hit, so it is easier for them to continue to build threat even if everyone in your party is attacking multiple targets.

I’ve actually gotten complements on tanking as bear. We just have higher health pools so the damage is a bit smoother taken.

As for swipe, it costs a lot of rage, and does low damage. I’m pretty sure all tanks suffer from aoe threat though.

2 Likes

Yeahhh, swipe has been pretty terrible for me personally, both for damage and threat. It exists but seems to be so insignificant threatwise that it’s hard to justify unless I’m like, swimming in rage to blow. But maul threat is downright scary.

3 Likes

I tank with both a druid and a pally, and while both can do great, Pally is better for dungeons imo.

Pally is on another level for tanking groups and picking up threat fast when a patrol or adds happen, and that’s without a taunt.

Druids don’t have to constantly drink though, and have some good mobility for grabbing adds.

IDK, I love them both.

2 Likes