Is it just me or are druids the best 5 man tank in the game?

Druids rival warriors at tanking even at level 60 on most bosses and have much better threat per second.

2 Likes

According to some forum experts Iā€™ve run into here, only warriors can be tanks, if you tank with anything else you may as well uninstall the game. And no, they didnā€™t mean just raids, even dungeons MUST be tanked by wars.

7 Likes

Definitely my favorite tank for 5 mans.

1 Like

editing out this post so nobody is misinformed by it, but battle shout threat I guess did split based on the number of enemies as described https://vanilla-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_Shout

The numbers were right, 55 threat per friendly target buffed at max rank BS, 70 once the AQ book is out, but itā€™s then split between the number of enemies. IE: if you buffed 5 people and you were all in combat with 3 mobs itā€™d be 55x5 = 275 *1.3 (def stance) 358 / 3 = 119 per enemy.

The advantages of not having to be near the enemies or even in LoS of them to get threat from bshout is also an advantage. You just have to be aware of positional and threat table requirements.

I agree, paladins have a very good advantage in groups that do not employ CC which - letā€™s face it, in a post-Wrath world, we probably arenā€™t using much in dungeons anyway.

Simultaneous multi-target threat is super weak in Classic for every tank, so thereā€™s generally a lot of tabbing going on regardless.

2 Likes

I sill prefer to DpS or heal. But the great thing about a hybrid spec is the ability to adapt to the group. Rawr.

1 Like

no. best tanks in 5 man dungeons are 4 mages

2 Likes

I enjoy tanking with my druid.

Only complaint is rage generation is pretty weakā€¦I am relying on Swipe crits with 2/2 in Primal Fury to really do well with AoE pulls. But I guess having lots of health, armor, and the ability to heal and innervate kind of make up for that.

Was thinking of experimenting with an agility and stamina build that centered around Swipe crits and the added dodge and armor from +agilityā€¦Iā€™m sure this exists and is a thingā€“can anyone confirm if this is worth trying?

Yeah you should prioritize agility over strength anyway. Dodge and armor are the only mitigation bear has.

1 Like

Absolutely. Also hang onto any and every piece of +Hit you can find because that above anything else will guarantee better TPS in the long run. You donā€™t need tons of Health/Armor to survive most 5mans, even big AoE pulls, so the stuff you get innately from wearing higher ilvl Leather will get you where you need to be.

Youā€™re also Horde, so go get that +Hit trinket from Hinterlands. It is absolutely fantastic for holding threat along with Mark of the Chosen until you score nicer stuff later from raids. And as tempting as it may be to get the +Crit trinket from UBRS, donā€™t do it and get the Mark of Tyranny instead. The +Armor is far more rare and that item is just fantastically itemized.

2 Likes

Yeah I was kind of thinking thatā€¦I geared strength mainly for leveling up to 50 because I wasnā€™t doing many dungeons except for guildies and the AP I get through strength is greatā€¦

But now I plan on doing dungeons from about 52 onward so it looks like I will re-prioritize back into agi/stam.

Thanks!

Was planning on getting both of these anyways! Thanks for the adviceā€”good to know I am heading in the right direction.

Also have enchanting 265 and all mats and recipe for Smoking Heart of the Mountainā€¦cuz why not? Material prices in AH are sooooo cheap right nowā€¦I figured I woul do it.

Edit: PS - Planning on dropping enchanting afterwards too for engineeringā€“it seems engineering gives druids even more tank ability and itā€™s great for PvP

1 Like

Ooo good man! And if you really wanna challenge yourself for fun, you can sneak into BRD yourself and solo swim to the Black Forge and craft it yourself. You probably should be lvl60 though because the elemental at the end is kinda brutal.

Yeah for anything physical heavy, Smoking Heart/Mark of Tyranny cannot be beat until you have sufficient Armor from AQ40 pieces to drop them for threat items like Drake Fang Talisman and Hand of Justice.

1 Like

Yes we are. Just wait till the threat from swipe is actually fixed too and we can hold agro

Hell yeah that sounds awesome! Challenge accepted ! :smirk:

1 Like

Shout out to all the big fuzzy bears keeping us safe. I absolutely love seeing them in my groups.

3 Likes

Mark of the Chosen and Mark of Tyranny are bis for the game as far as bear tanking goes. There really isnā€™t a reason to get anything else.

There is a little bit of debate as far as boss tanking, because those fights have less of a chance to proc Mark of the Chosen. But if Chosen does manage to proc, it usually stays procced and it is without a doubt the best if it does proc.

If you really want Smoking Heart and plan on being a feral all of classic then go for it. Otherwise just go engineering if that was your plan.

1 Like

Yeah I have already invested in getting everything for Smoking Heart of the Mountainā€“in hindsight I could have just taken Mark of Tyranny and Mark of the Chosen and been fineā€¦but ya I guess I will have an extra trinket to mess around with now (maybe resists will help vs. casters in PvP: just a teeny tiny bit) :thinking:

Thanks for the good advice!

I love me a druid tank. One less person to contend with for HoJ.

My favorite party make up

Druid - Tank
Priest - Heals
Hunter - DPS
Mage - DPS
Warlock - DPS