Is initializing supposed to take this long?

I have an update for WoW in the battle.net client this afternoon, and it has taken about 15 minutes to initialize 300 MB of data.
I noticed this slowness during the last update a couple days ago too.

Is this normal?

I don’t have lag in game, so I don’t think its my connection.

It was slow for me too when I updated this evening, but since I’m traveling I assumed I just had bad internet tonight.

That doesn’t sound like the same issue.I wasn’t having a problem with the program starting, just seeing very slow download speeds.

It’s been this way for longer than the past 2 updates, I’m pretty sure. Not fully sure, which is why I only mentoned the 2.

Thanks.

And yeah, this isn’t about launching a game; its about updating. Launching is fine: no slowness at all.

This isn’t broken just on macOS, although it’s significantly worse there, but also on Windows as well. Be it WoW or D4, the install/update cycle can take ages, sometimes requiring a player to just set it to update and let it go overnight so they aren’t wasting their time watching paint dry.

The short of it is that the Battle.net app is just plain broken, almost to the point of being malware with how badly it can (and has in many instances) disrupt or outright break the ability to maintain an up to date game on one’s system.

1 Like