Is Guild Wars 2 Better Than WoW?

None of that matters when GW2 has terrible combat and class design.

Hmmm, let me sum it up in a nutshell. There is no progression, there’s just VIRTUAL BARBIES where you spend all your time collecting new looks, but never actually moving your gear / character forward. I got all professions to max level, have come back for each expansion, and keep shelving the game relatively quickly because there’s no real end game.

2 Likes

GW2 and ESO both have a lot of great systems and ideas. But both have bad combat and class design that ruins the entire thing for me. And I’ve played both extensively. So there are things I’d like to see other games take from them at least. But I can’t play them.

1 Like

GW2 was a let down, they tried to reinvent the wheel and failed.

Beautiful game though.

I don’t really think this is a fair comparison. While WoW is not what it once was, it being around does have influence on the MMOs that came after it. Would these MMOs be the same if WoW was made after them? On top of this we have the difference in technology that MMOs have now compared to when WoW was in development as well.

As for the topic at hand GW2 and WoW are different types of MMOs. I do want to point out about the buy to play. GW2 just started offering the previous expansions for free. Before the end of last year you still had to buy all of the xpacs. On top of that if you are not currently playing or login when they are current you have to buy the living story updates one at a time.

The account wide bank and items while great they are capped at an item limit that you have to pay upgrade. You also have to pay per character to up the number of bags you can carry, along with paying to increase your character slots. I know people will tell you that you can use gold and convert them to gems but making gold in GW2 is not as fast or easy as in WoW. The conversion rate is also very high for gold to gems as well. This is also becomes harder if you also want to use your gold upgrade or craft better gear. Gear does matter in the game and depending on what you want to do the upgrades are needed.

1 Like

Idk but at this point Wow forces me to installing ESO now hahaha

Gw2 is objectively better. But wow only needs adopt some of these newer age mmo concepts to be just as good.

More focus on the player rather than the character is the main thing blizzard needs to do.

Also not taking away our power every expac…

1 Like

I have to disagree about the combat and class design. Combat in GW2 feels more dynamic and interesting to me than WoW. Just the addition of dodging makes so much difference. Playing an Engineer can feel like you’re playing the piano on the keyboard. I’ll take GW2 pvp over WoW pvp any day, the latter feels clunky, awkward, and slow in comparison. What I dislike about GW2 is how you have to spend so much time trudging through mobs. WoW gives your character the power to burn through mobs faster and that feels better to me.
Class design to me is at least as interesting and well thought out in GW2 as WoW, if not more so.

5 Likes

Feels like I’m reading a powerpoint presentation for Guild Wars 2.

No, I hate GW2. Not my cup of tea.

1 Like

When ArenaNet actually puts resources back into developing GW2 and stops pretending Living World is somehow comparable to expansion releases, maybe you’ll have a point.

As it stands now, GW2 is hurtling headlong into maintenance mode and there’s really nothing left to do except story episodes for an hour every two months.

1 Like

I miss City of Heroes/Villains. (I got into it when Villains was a separate game)

1 Like

I play GW2 and WoW and see both have appreciated both games as they are. GW2 has been a lot more alt friendly and gives a fair amount of options on what you could do with each class. I like the way they have horizontal progression which gives you new tools to explore, survive your environment. Mounts feel much better and like actual creatures with weight that require skill to master. Also if I don’t like the way my character’s playing it’s easy to change up your skills and specializations; and it’s very easy to level alts.

I like warcraft because it does have a lot of culture and story behind it. The racial variety dwarfs anything in other games; being able to seamlessly move around the continents makes it all feel way more connected. PVP has been more enjoyable in this game, and I found world pvp enhances the danger and experience. The classes feel important to the lore here so it can also give a greater sense of identity.

5 Likes

One of the reasons I can’t recommend new players to GW2 is because of that gold to gem exchange rate. At launch you could buy 100 gems for 20 SILVER. Not exaggerating. This allowed a new player to buy plenty of character and account upgrades just by playing the game. If you’re a new player to GW2, you’ll need to pull out your credit card if you want gems. I understand that it’s the nature of how GW2 is running it’s business now, but I prefer WoW’s model over the F2P, cash-shop mmo model.

1 Like

Never tried it. I have given thought. I have played SWTOR, ESO and WoW is currently my home. Would love someone to change my mind. Is there an appearance designer in GW2? What can u tell me more about transmog in GW2?

If Anet somehow survives and releases a Cantha expansion + the return of heroes, I would return to GW2. By return of heroes I mean the ability to bring 1 hero (companion) with you out into the world, not an entire team. 1 hero would not dramatically change the scale or ruin the game but it would make the game a ton more fun in terms of gearing them, setting up their skills, and rotating them out for other heroes. Just my little fantasy. I doubt either of those things will ever happen at this point.

1 Like

Gw2 knocks it out of the park on so many things but it fails on the following:

• regular updates beyond story mode stuff which is stupid easy and short.
  • no dev focus on wvw despite it being the best rvr in the market
  • in game achieved cosmetics pale in comparison to gem store items, leaving you can with a “what’s the point?”
  • no true holy trinity. Hate the tanking and healing mechanics in pve.
    That’s why I stopped playing. It’s all a scam to get you to buy gem store stuff.
  • pvp bgs need a little more variety
  • loot boxes are a bit predatory

That said. I had an inordinate amount of fun up until I quit. Reasons why:

• mount system is so far beyond anything else out there. So much fun.
  • armor and dyes and customization are ludicrously good.
  • wvw system is SO good.
  • pvp is fun
  • class archetypes and evolutions are well thought out and play very differently from each other.
  • their holiday activities are waaaaay more fun than anything wow offers
4 Likes

I love your faith that we’re ever going to Cantha. I think Anet will go out of business before that.

No. GW went down hill after the 1st xpac, at least from a story stand point.(believe it or not, it’s actually worse then WoW now). Bout the only MMO out there I would recommend right now is FFXIV. ESO is alright too.

OP has such a silly slant, can’t believe you pretended to be actually asking a question.

Would say maybe yes. But not after NCSoft did CoH/V dirty. And Arena is getting the same treatment as Cryptic and Paragon studios is getting.

Would mention Wildstar, but Carbine should of known better to team with NCSoft.

For me when it isnt WoW its ESO.