Is Guild Wars 2 Better Than WoW?

I tried really hard to like GW2… I just couldn’t get engaged with their story/world for some reason.

3 Likes

Interesting, when did that start? Is there dungeon type content or a use for the healers though?

Not at all, you bored?

There is no MMO better than WoW and there will never be. The MMORPG genre is dying and no company will ever invest the amount of money necessary to build something better than WoW. I played both games for thousands of hours and I still think WoW is better.

On the other hand, I think GW1 was by far a better competitor to WoW than GW2 will ever be.

I thiiiink (might be wrong) during the Heart of Throns xpac? Hunters can spec in to Druids, and yes they are required for dungeons/“fractals” and raids.

I personally play a healing Engineer. If you can’t tell I have a thing for gizmo-based things. :slight_smile:

Agreed. Jumping puzzles were a real feature of the game imo. Some of them were honestly amazing. Sadly, they lost their core jumping puzzle designer. He was a true artist.

1 Like

World of Warcraft by a few dozen miles.

2 Likes

Aw ok thats cool, I still doubt they are near the mechanics of wow, but it is nice to see they added in that stuff! I may check it out again when burned out on wow. And yes, me too I love steampunk stuff so engineering and mechanical appeal to me a lot. I still have to get the mechagnomes unlocked on my allie but so much to do!

1 Like

I prefer ESO as my WoW alternative, I’m even on ESO+. ESO is my adventure game, WoW is the grind/chore simulator.

No. Not even close GW2 is decent at best.

1 Like

I have over 12,000 hours played on GW2. The simple answer to your question is this. The game is in maintenance mode. The lead GW2 dev was just reassigned to a different project. Since the massive layoffs a little over a year ago, 20+ more artist, creators, devs have left the company. GW2 doesn’t see any significant updates anymore. Raids are over, fractals are non-existent, WvW is beyond dead, and PvP is full of bots.

3 Likes

Anet has had a strangely poor storytelling team for as long as the studio has existed imo. In an attempt to make interesting, intertwining plotlines, they have always just resulted in a convoluted mess. In addition, living world plots and characters never captured my interest. So, you are not alone.

GW2 is…idk. It’s okay for a while, but if I play it, I miss the eccentric gnomes or the brutish Orcs of WoW.

Guild Wars has less personality and “flair” than WoW, so even with systems that are superior in ways, it won’t be as familiar to most people.

Oh was he fired? That’s a shame, I hope he’ll find another job.

We call it “layed off” in these parts…

He resigned. I’m sure he’ll do just fine. Super talented.

They still have updates, the focus is just on Open World and Living Story (now called Saga).

Fractals are fun.

Living story stopped being a living story after season 1. The new story and just like every other one only takes a couple of hours to complete then you are done. Literally you are done with everything. There are no more legendary’s being released to grind for. That is usually what came with every episode. GW2 lost its fractal dev, raid dev was reassigned, head dev was just reassigned, jumping puzzle dev was let go. WvW dev team consist of 2 people (not lying), PVP doesn’t even has 4 people I think. The game like I said is in maintenance mode.

1 Like

I can’t speak for GW2, haven’t played it.

However, I can recommend Final Fantasy XIV.

You just have to get over a few hurdles:

• The GCD is longer at 2.5 seconds. For the first 50 levels, it is tedious… then you start getting oGCDs galore and the gameplay actually starts to all but outpace WoW.
  • The Main Story Quest (MSQ) is MANDATORY to unlock stuff in the game; including expansions. That being said, it is Final Fantasy and the story is centerpiece of the game; it’s also one of the better stories in an FF game… at least once you start reaching the expansions proper. The first leg is mostly world-building and is serviceable rather than genuinely compelling.
  • There just isn’t that much endgame-focused content, especially for the devout hardcore players. On the bright side, almost ALL of the old content is still doable without issue (thanks to what is essentially permanent timewalking for everything)… and it isn’t as stupidly easy as WoW chooses to make its casual content.
  • PvP is… lackluster. There’s been more of a push to make it better lately, but I doubt it will ever reach the prominence it does in WoW. Also, entirely separate gameplay balance for PvP and PvE so that there’s no constant “rebalancing” due to one affecting the other.

Anyhow, at the moment, I’d say FFXIV is definitely better than WoW.
How far WoW has fallen, especially with BfA, is a MAJOR factor in that opinion.

2 Likes