Is forum moderation automated?

I recently had a couple posts removed due to being reported as a “real life threat” that clearly wasn’t. Is there a staff member that actually looks and decides these things? If not, are we ok with people just reporting any post they don’t like under this category to get it removed?

1 Like

No. Not at all. Any posts removed or penalties applied are done by a real person.

There IS an automated notification section of the forum software. It states that right in the notification though. It will tell you if other players have flagged your post for Mod review. It will also tell you what the outcome is of a Mod decision. Removing a post, penalizing you, etc. The most that is automated is turning a post grey with click to read if enough players report it.

4 Likes

The simplest answer is, no. Forum Moderation is not automated.

Now we do have some automated things that can happen. First, we have a spam guard in place that works to detect accounts that attempt to spam the forums, usually with advertisements. If spam is detected it quarantines the post/thread until it can be reviewed by a moderator. If the post is approved, it is restored, if not the moderator deletes it as part of their process.

Now with player reports, if they receive enough of them the post will be temporarily hidden until it can be reviewed by a moderator. The post still exists and can be read by others.

The category that others use to report a post is almost irrelevant, a moderator will look at the report for any and all violations, not specifically for the one that the person used. Some people believe that if they use RLT that it will have a greater impact.

Edit: From what I can see your posts were removed because they were a bit… aggressive/trollish.

14 Likes

I appreciate the responses. Had me floored when I saw they were removed for the reason it said.

3 Likes

Likely the moderator just used the reason marked on the first report on the posting, even if it’s not the actual reason they decided to moderate the posting.

Sometimes it’s just easier to go with the flow and get on with the rest of your queue.

1 Like

If the post is deleted, but not penalized, it will say whatever the reason another player(s) reported it for.

If they penalize it, the message should read what the moderator selected, which is usually Trolling or Inappropriate in most situations.

9 Likes

takes notes

Eventually I will know all the details of how the forum software works!

Muahahahahahahah

plots

6 Likes

Then… it will be updated and we’ll change a bunch of things arbitrarily! Muahahahaha!

14 Likes

One of the worst things about being an MVP. Not knowing anything ahead of time. Drat you all! Thwarting my poorly laid plans.

I might just be forced to sip ice water and enjoy a suspiciously warm spring day.

8 Likes

Appreciate the information.

6 Likes
3 Likes

yeah, I had one removed for that reason as well and I just said I was going to put someone on ignore because they kept on arguing with me.

I guess that is a real life threat but not one people would typically think of as a real life threat.

I guess they removed it because they figured it was being trollish I couldn’t figure out why they would agree with that being a threat - no threat at all I did it.

:crazy_face:

I do think blizzard should look at penalizing people for reporting things like this as real life threats though that is abusing the forum systems.

2 Likes

I wanna believe this but I had thread deleted after I said “servers up, good luck with vaults all” (servers had just come up)

and it was mass reported as trolling, if a human was looking at them they would have restored it… but it wasn’t and all I got was a notification saying it broke the rules.

Doesn’t really matter if you believe it or not though. They said it wasn’t.

3 Likes

It may have been removed for Spam. If a Mod removes it without penalizing you, it will get listed as whatever people flagged it as (right or wrong). If you are penalized the Moderator may update the description of why you were penalized.

Vrak covered that earlier in the thread when someone asked about reasons given for deleted threads.

Short of the anti spam system, the forums don’t have the capability to auto moderate. Only the messages sent saying “you were flagged” “your post was restored” are automated. And of course the “post turns grey when flagged enough” part. Deletion or removal are human and manual.

5 Likes

From when? You have multiple threads that say nearly the exact same thing spanning many months.

As I explained, there are two things that can happen that are “automated”. The first, is if your post/thread was detected as spam, it would be temporarily quarantined until a moderator could review it. That is unlikely to happen to anyone but a new user, unless there are other factors which would be considered suspicious.

The second is if multiple users report you. Then the post would be temporarily hidden until it could be reviewed.

Now, if that was hidden due to those reports and the moderator later deleted it after reviewing the post, it is likely because a thread like that really doesn’t serve much of a function beyond the immediate point in which it was posted.

There are many things that require belief in this world, this is not one of them. Just because you may not fully understand the process doesn’t mean, outside of what I explained, it is at all automated.

9 Likes

I wish I could add a gif of that evil looking kitty from a cartoon laughing. It would suit this laugh very well Vrak.

3 Likes