Is classic actually classic?

[https://youtu.be/94kJbYB3aqE](https://youtu.be/94kJbYB

Okay.

Why is a level 30 warrior tanking a level 40 dungeon boss, not taking any kind of spikey damage, and is overall lazily playing the game until the boss dies?

Where’s the challenge? You guys gave us classic wow but the difficulty reflects that of retail wow. It’s a huge trick. Get classic refugees like myself back cuz classic. While bringing in retail schmucks who won’t get turned off because the difficulty mirrors retails easy mode.

This video just killed classic wow for me. That is not the game anyone wanted. Feel cheated. You guys killed classic forreal this time.

https://youtu.be/nhDV68FN6nE

The edit includes a second video.

This same level 30 warrior tanks cathedral as well. This level 30 tank doesn’t die face tanking a level 42 dungeon boss. The level 30 healer does not oom healing that. I agree Herod has a mechanic to be dodged making him easier. The cathedral has no mechanics like that, it’s just a long tank n spank fight.

Everyone thinks that their gear, buffs, and player skill is the reason their level 30 group could do armory and cathedral. Lol. I refuse to argue with them. They are very wrong. This is wrong, it isn’t classic, enemy NPC damage is low and neglible meaning the dungeon experience is now braindead and fool proof just like retail.

Please bookmark this thread. Return on October 1st. By then the word around the game will be easy mode, no vets will play, they’ll feel that it is retail packaged in a classic wow vehicle. October 1st return here and post. The general word will be that classic is very very very easy and no one except current retail players will enjoy it.

29 Likes

To be honest, no joking aside? Tataardos says No, it’s not Vanilla. However, it is a very close approximation of that experience in the few hours his controller had to play in it. If he were forced to give a % guesstimate value for it, he’d say 95%. That is 95% of the Classic game is similar to Vanilla.

6 Likes

Classic is not vanilla. People are always trying to “relive” vanilla. It’s vanilla gameplay, not vanilla

6 Likes

No, it isn’t Classic. When the servers go live, we’ll log in, and it will turn out to be City of Heroes.

67 Likes

Dude. All they had to do was keep the difficulty high enough that a toddler can’t play through it. And they made it easy enough a toddler can play classic.

I can’t believe it man. Dead on arrival

8 Likes

To be fair, he wasn’t Herod’s target for 1/2 the fight. Once he started actually tanking, he was taking some pretty big hits.

16 Likes

I didn’t watch the whole video because it’s ugly. Herod not destroying a level 30 group immediately already explains my thread. They should have had no chance. But instead they won. It’s very wrong. Very not classic.

10 Likes

On this particular fight Herod does most of his damage via the whirlwind attack, as long as you avoid it the fight isn’t that hard. Here’s a video of a level 36 Paladin solo’ing the Herod fight from 2009 before the Cata rework or any stat squish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-CaW6WmyM

*There is another older video on YouTube but it’s so blurry that you can’t see any of the levels involved.

34 Likes

This same level 30 warrior tanks cathedral as well. This level 30 tank doesn’t die face tanking a level 42 dungeon boss. The level 30 healer does not oom healing that. I agree Herod has a mechanic to be dodged making him easier. The cathedral has no mechanics like that, it’s just a long tank n spank fight.

https://youtu.be/nhDV68FN6nE

5 Likes

I guess I can try and mansplain this.

1. The dungeons/world were not as hard at the very end (1.12) of Vanilla. Like me, you may have leveled multiple characters up earlier in WoW’s life span before they made some changes.

2. These guys were level capped at 30 for 2 weeks. They werent us back in vanilla scraping gear together. They had the best gear they could get for all the chars at level 30.

3. They had max buffs. I never had a buff bar even half that size when doing anything in Vanilla until I got to raiding level.

4. They respec’d their chars just for this dungeon and their roles. Never did that, came as you were in classic.

5. It wasnt a random group that got thrown together to get some quests knocked out. These guys have been leveling together and knew each other and their abilities much more than we did.

Hope this helps.

147 Likes

I don’t recall Cath being that hard either, the caveat being you pulled all of the instance before you engaged the boss. ( Which everyone does ) My guild had a group go into Mara during beta and it was absolutely no faceroll. I would suggest staying calm and judging it for yourself.

Outofammo makes a great point. I was completely twinked at level 30. We had bis lists etc, and many of us had everything.

2 Likes

Let’s also remember a few things about the beta and videos like this.

1: the average L40 group in Vanilla was wearing L25-35 greens. Maybe 1 or 2 blues.

2: in the beta players capped at L30 and proceeded to acquire their BiS blue sets from dungeons.

3: in Vanilla a skilled L29 twink could wreck your average L39 player because gearing was huge.

These points mean that the players you see in videos like this in the beta are not a good approximation of the gameplay you’ll experience when classic launches. Bosses will feel much more difficult and you won’t be able to do what these guys are doing because you won’t have the gear they have.

31 Likes

This ^^
If this weren’t the case, then they would have had far more problems with those runs. What they did in those videos won’t be happening in full blown Classic.

12 Likes

Looks to me like you orcsplained it

38 Likes

No.

There’s no amount of twinking or outplaying to negate the simple raw damage a boss ?? Level 42 from destroying level 30s.

There’s no excuse. It puts to life and puts on display, beyond math n number crunching stats, it gives us an example that a level 42 dungeon boss did not destroy a level 30 group. These guys in the video aren’t playing out of their minds. It’s not difficult what they did. Investing in your character and having good gear will be the norm, not the exception. My point is, they easy moded the game.

If a level 42 dungeon boss doesn’t destroy a group of level 30s, that means the entire game is trivial in terms of difficulty surrounding group play n cooperation to down hard targets like bosses. It means that even if you are not trying, even if you’re bad, the game won’t allow your group to fail. The tank takes so little damage that the healer would have to go out of their way to let the tank die. This same reasoning explains that cc is not needed since enemy npc damage is futile. Tanks are now brainless. Healers are now brainless. Dps are now brainless. They made it fool proof easy mode, you barely will have to be awake at the keyboard in order to succeed. Whereas before in real classic, tanks got hit hard and needed to mitigate damage and control threat, healers were smart with their Mana and had to be fast because damage was high and scary, DPS had to cc or else there’s too much damage and the group would die.

They gutted it man. They made classic wow with retail difficulty.

13 Likes

Well, you really don’t understand just how strong a near perfect group, fully twinked can be in Classic.

Don’t make the mistake of not giving it a try. I was there , it’s lots of fun and very challenging. I say again. Fully twinked out friends challenging themselves is not what you will find on launch day.

41 Likes

You have no idea how Classic twinks worked. There’s a reason they one shotted people in pvp, and yes, they were fully capable of clearing dungeons 7-10 levels above them. But by all means, throw your fit and uninstall. That’s just one less oerson in my way during server queue times.

47 Likes

We 4man all the dungeons and twink ourselves out in the process because that’s fun to us. You are outright wrong. No amount of twinking enables you to kill a ?? Boss 12 levels higher than your group.

1 Like

You keep saying that, but it’s still not true :joy:

16 Likes

Watch how the general word quickly becomes how easy classic wow is and vets will not play. They won’t resub after a month, two tops.

This ease of difficulty on display in these videos is the exact reason.

6 Likes