Is BM hunter the worst 1v1 spec in WPvP

I’m not talking about arena/BG. Just 1v1 Wpvp. I have played a nelf BM hunter at ilvl 450, which is not so bad. Yet I almost never won a 1v1 in the open world with players at similar ilvl (or similar skills). I doubt it’s my skill as my other classes are doing way better.

So for my BM. I can’t beat all the following:
1.Healer. Just can’t do enough damage. And they’ll slowly get my health down. The main heal cool down is just not enough.
2. Tank. No hope here.
3. Warlock. No hope here.
4. Warrior. Can’t really kite. And they just out heal my damage.
5. Paladin. Though I can kite for a while, they still out heal my damage and slowly take me down.
6. Demon hunter. Never tried as I think I know the results.
7. Rogue. Almost half dead after the opener. And they can reset.
8. DK. Ok I would say any of these plate class are too beefy for me.
9. Mage. They’re way too bursty. I thought I had some chance here by interrupting and feign death. Though I lost all the time.
10. Druid. Can’t win feral. Boomkin seems too tanky for me.

I haven’t fought WW monk and Shaman though.

In general my 1v1 Wpvp as BM hunter is miserable. Naturally, when I’m on my rogue/druid/warlock I would always hit a BM hunter in the open world and the chance to win is pretty decent. Is BM hunter really this weak for 1v1 Wpvp? How do you guys deal with this?

Edit: And what class do you find easy/hard to fight against and why?

I think it is. I love finding a BM as MM in BGs, because I know if I can get them 1v1 I’m going to beat them more often than not.

4 Likes

That is a harsh reality to hear…

Without using any tricks for WPvP, BM hunter is still really good assuming you aren’t being outgeared (which you said you weren’t). There are tricks you can use as hunter that make BM the best 1v1 open world class in the game however I’ll try to just give advice without those.

While you pretty much won’t kill a healer who has half a brain in WPvP, they shouldn’t kill you either if you use spirit beast and crucible major to heal. If they go too aggressive, you can still punish them and force them back on the defensive so you can recover.

You should pretty much be able to kill any tank eventually outside of guardian druid, just kite and use your healing CDs.

This fight has gotten harder with warlocks’ ridiculous corruption but still pretty winnable in open world. The biggest focus is avoiding bolts by kiting in and out of max range. Play “the beast within” honor talent to avoid fear/coil setups and use crucible to heal yourself. Don’t be afraid to trinket turtle their burst as the duel shouldn’t last to a second inferno window.

Arms loses badly to BM because they don’t have fury’s perma slow immunity and no healing. Start camo maxrange to force a leap, then either stun or trap it and CC the trinket accordingly. Fury is tough for BM to kite, but can still be done enough so that you can survive through trap + disengage resets and your healing. If you want to kill a good fury, MM is actually your best bet.

I find pallies are the ones who slowly rot to BM now that tank trinkets are no longer a thing. If not running unbound freedom, you can purge their freedom and slow their horse. Otherwise try to stun the horse as they are pushing in for a stun on you. Try to bait their trinket so you can CC wings without committing turtle as this duel may last a while. Alot of it comes down to healing with spirit mend and crucible and avoiding damage with trap/stun/camo. Use feign death to remove hand of hindrance in addition to disengage for it.

A hard fight without any tricks used, but same thing with kiting and trying to CC their meta windows without using turtle. If you turtle before they pop RFA and you aren’t a night elf, it’s pretty much GG.

Play wild protector, animal companion, and spirit beast and get alot of versatility. Alot of rogues will commit reap + trinket in opener; animal companion splits drest to 1/3 damage and can eat bike. You can roar of sacrifice the opener and spirit mend it as well to take minimal damage. After that, priority is getting distance with trap+disengage and stunning the sprint to try and force a trinket. Once you get trinket, you can engie fear their next go or just turtle it. Duel shouldn’t last too much longer after that.

Pretty killable now but still annoying because they’re essentially an un-nerfed BM hunter in terms of damage. Play a cunning mortal wounds pet over spirit beast here. Start camo and open with slow, stun their death’s advance. If they connect to you (they will connect in duels, not in opposite faction fights though) trap them. If they trinket, engie fear or turtle, and reset max range with disengage. Repeat till they die.

In a duel, don’t bother saccing their combust, just turtle it. Besides that, keep max range with camo opener to avoid shimmer poly gpy/db goes. Use purge off cd. Try not to use spirit mend unless they’re in CC as they will try to spellsteal it.

SV is all around better for killing ferals, but BM can beat mediocre ones just through trapping/stunning and doing damage as normal. Boomie is tanky, but shouldn’t be able to outlast BM hunter with crucible, spirit mend, wild protector, and versa. You can even play interlope vs boomies to avoid more damage.

Ele can be annoying for BM, but SV beats it if you play good. Enhance is a joke for every hunter spec. We counter WWs in open world; open camo maxrange and stun their FSK.

4 Likes

I think there is a little too much squish though, especially for the mail users. Our defenses rely on a 2min cd and kiting, while pigeonholing us into a specific pet to be viable, while many of the classes/specs that steam roll us aren’t.

We have the ability to win battles, with a very weak defense, and crummy strat, especially for a group that is wearing armor that is next to plate…

just my opinion.

2 Likes

Thank you for this detailed reply! I will definitely try a few of these!

Kiting has always been a thing in pvp as far as hunters are concerned. But when it comes to 1v1 on melee, I dunno about BM, but I’ve gotten pretty good at kiting melee 1v1 as MM. I can even kite DH and monks 1v1. It’s a pain because how mobile they are but it can be done if you’re willing to give up trying to use aimed shot outside of them being trapped.

The trick is to get as much range using as few CDs as possible, and force them to use their gap closers. If you have disengage or cheetah or anything to open the gap back up after they use their gap closers, they’re kind of sol for a few seconds.

The class I find most annoying right now are locks. It’s stupid AF that they have a spamable ranged root.

2 Likes

I’m not saying kiting is bad or shouldn’t be a skill/strat we use. I’m just making an observation that we are squishier than most leather/clothies when some one closes that gap. We just get melted with very little def capabilities. (Turtle not withstanding).

I don’t mind the run and gun playstyle, but as you stated with DH and Monks having so much mobility, and having far more self-sustain options, they melt us if they catch us after our cd’s.

Just wish our Mail Armor actually meant something haha xD

1 Like

BM vs Melee used to be a non issue until explosive trap broke. You have to be on perfect level ground now for it to sometimes maybe think about working.

At start of xpac I got my alliance slayer title while questing just baiting people to cliffs and throwing them to their death.

2 Likes

what your vers at? pretty sure to be any kind of decent with bm in pvp need to stack vers.

And people laughed at me when I said that we were only above Spriests on the Ranged totem pole. It’s the same story with Marks.

My(and it’s not even mine) handy-dandy inequation of 1v1 winning outcome: Class>spec>comp>gear>skill.

Unofficially, the basic Ranged totem pole is Balance>Elemental>Warlock>Mage>Hunter>Spriest.

This means you need to outgear and outskill those above you to beat them in 1v1. Conversely, other Hunters and Spriests you can twit on with minimal fuss.

The Melee totem pole: HDH>UHDK>Paladin>(Fury) Warrior>(Sin) Rogue. This doesn’t necessarily include melee specs that have been discontinued, which are Arms, Hance, FDK, Feral(I’m shocked you have issues but not really because melee>ranged), OL, and Sub. And I’m not too sure where the tanks fall; BDK and Guardian can fit somewhere near the top. The melee totem pole is somewhat higher than the ranged one.

Again, this is unofficial, and yes, PvP is not balanced around 1v1 despite IT SHOULD BE to the best of Blizz’ abilities.

No. MM is the worst. If I see an MM hunter it’s a free kill for me. If one opens upon me it’s still a free kill for me. MM is simply a trash spec.

What class spec do you play?

Anything that isn’t MM.

2 Likes

It might be but it seems to me that if you want to PvP as a hunter you should learn SV.

Yeah it’s the worst spec we have when it comes to kiting, and it doesn’t really bring anything to the table to pressure people in 1v1 scenarios all that much.

Survival hunters and Marksman hunters can be good in world pvp though, marksman hunters also get the benefit of really pissing off demon hunters trying to heal off mobs.

Everything being instant cast and useable while moving is pretty awful for kiting, I agree.

Are you high?

1 Like

Compared to Survival and Marksman, yeah bm hunters are the worst at kiting.

And no I wasn’t really joking about the demon hunter bit.

Compared to the spec that has most of it’s damage as melee and the spec that needs to hard cast.

Guess you’ve never played MM in PvP before.

This is a thread about world pvp, I wouldn’t really being saying that about marksman hunters in arena or battlegrounds. But in world pvp if you’re a smart player they’re actually quite good in my opinion.

And yes again about survival?