Is Blizzard THAT Evil Or Is There A Logical Reason?

I generally try to dismiss the hate and toxicity against Blizzard as the vocal minority but I have to admit that with the lawsuit details along with all the seemingly minor/subtle (but not really) changes to the game recently, I am starting to wonder if maybe this company really has very little respect/love for us players.

Remember the phrase “For Gamers By Gamers” - Activision certainly does not.

So now we have this whole Timewalking “bug” fix and it really has me scratching my head. Yes there are contrarians (some trolls) who just argue against anything to be edgey, but the fact is Blizzard had (inadvertantly) boosted TW to a point where it had existed previously and many people (certainly not all or most) thought perhaps it was not a “bug” but a move to sate players in this rough time… and it worked!

TW was active and players were leveling dormant characters that had languished at level 50. You would think this is a good move, get people active, new characters into SL and generally people enjoying the “buff”.

But then its reverted as a bug (quickly mind you) in what a cynic might say was more to protect boost sales than to “protect or improve the game” as bug fixes are supposed to do.

I cannot think of ANY rational reason to do this other than to protect boost sales. Even if you classify it as a bug (which is arguable), it clearly was a popular choice, had lots of intangible benefit and caused no harm other possibly to the aforementioned boost sales.

TW has over the many patches become less and less rewarding, harder, slower and is as of this writing one of the slowest means to level based on the XP/Time Invested ratio.

There are many other incidents like this (such as nerfing old toys that were very enjoyable for no real reason other than to remove fun) but the point here is that I cannot even recall an effort of goodwill to the gamers in years, only nerfs and a clear disdain for any part of us other than our wallets.

Maybe I am just late to the party and there will be some who for some odd reason always praise anything Blizzard does… but I am beginning to think the Activision influence really has turned Blizzard into an evil company which is very sad as a long time fan.

The Blizz meme “Fun Detected, Fire the Kotick Cannon” is both accurate and depressing.

Someone prove me wrong… please.

5 Likes

Boosts go to 50

TW starts at 50+

So how is this affecting boosting?

9 Likes

If anyone is actually surprised by this they’re naive af.

Literally every person who’s played a Blizzard game for more than a month knows that this was getting fixed ASAP

1 Like

While I can certainly understand your frustration, leveling from fifty to sixty is still fairly easy with a little bit of good old fashioned elbow grease! Check this helpful guide out to get you started!

1 Like

Evil? No.
Petty? Seemingly.

Keep in mind that they no longer consider subscription numbers as their success metrics. They consider time played, time engaged, and monthly active users as their success metrics.

Anything that shortens those three metrics is to be removed or adjusted.

5 Likes

It’s just not an intended thing. Leveling 50-60 in just 6-7 dungeons is obviously extreme and it overwrites the need to do any of SL beyond the Maw intro.

It would also become expected. If they let it stay now then in future timewalking everyone would just complain “hey why aren’t these super fast too? You let it happen last time!” And if they caved into that then it creates a negative chain where leveling would only really be efficient every few weeks when the next TW rolls around. People will just hold off their alts for that. Why bother questing or doing any other content?

So like it gets nerfed. It was fun sure, but Blizz has to think about the flow of the whole game. I think players are wrongly quick to label every unpopular decision as a “money grab for boosts and sales” when it’s really just them fixing something that’s not intentional. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Blame WoWhead they’re a buzz killer.

1 Like

It was fun and useful. I was able to use it for one alt.

I get it was a bug.

It would have shown good faith from Blizz if they would have said:

“This is a bug and too much xp; but we see you are enjoying it, so we will be nerfing it a bit to make it more reasonable but leaving a large buff so that it is still much more xp than we originally intended. We feel that players engaging with the great legacy content WoW has to offer once a month to level in a fun way is something we are pleased the community is excited about.”

4 Likes

Well said Agmaron… where are the Blizz devs with that kind of logic? :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are a corporate business. They only care about the money.

1 Like

I won’t be doing TimeWasters this time around as there is no point.

No. I doubt it was intended to boost anything. I think it was an unintended bug. And they had to get rid of it quickly, because casual scum were leveling their alts quickly in timewalking. They were getting something they didn’t deserve, since casuals are supposed to suffer both for being casual and for playing alts, a cardinal sin against the gospel of gaming.

And the reason they bungled it so badly is that they don’t care what anybody thinks about what they do, same as why they treated their workers so badly over the years. Because screw you, if you don’t do as we say you won’t get a letter of recommendation when you leave.

Playing this game is likened to work to some. That being said, never love the company that hires you, it will never love you in kind.

Same to me with playing. I like playing but know if I love it will only serve to be hurtful. Heh

…crap Lunch is over, gotta get back to my love or it will hurt me.

I don’t know, artifact power is still going strong despite all the quitting.

Oh no they got to 60 too fast.
grabs rolled up scroll with list of time gated RNG choirs
flings it open as it rolls across to the other side of the room

Their bottom dollar was in jeopardy from boost. That is all. You could of essentially leveled one of each class to 60 in a week farming TW casually.

Heh… kinda funny, since those have been on a downhill since the shadowlands release

This. Bungie had something recently in Destiny 2 (and thankfully they broke away from Acti-Blizz). They have an annual event that runs for a few weeks with a special “strike” you can do. At the end, there’s a bunch of treasure boxes scattered around the area to find within a time limit. Usually, they show briefly on your screen for a few seconds before the timer starts, then disappear until you’re close to one. This year, instead, they didn’t show at all until after the timer started, but then stayed on the rest of the time.

Bungie acknowledged it was unintended, acknowledged it was a bug…but then said they were going to leave it alone and let it stand because the reaction to it was very positive and people were having more fun. Props to Bungie; another nail in the Acti-Blizz coffin.

2 Likes

If you think any corporation has love or respect for its customers, you are being naïve. The only thing a corporation loves or respects is money.

Imagine exploiting a bug and crying when it’s fixed lol

1 Like