Is Blizzard spiteful like that?

Hey, gang! :smiley:

As a frequent forum user, I observe a lot of mention that Blizzard is petty and spiteful. Take Pathfinder, for instance. There is a large number of players who feel that this achievement was made and continues to be used out of spite. With the intent to remove flying in WoD, and having that backfire, the thinking is that Blizzard spitefully reintroduced flight to the game gated by Pathfinder.

I’m sure there are other examples, but that’s the best one that comes to mind (if you have any other examples, please, post them). And so I ask, do you believe Blizzard is legitimately spiteful in certain situations or is this a misconception?

78 Likes
13 Likes

I really wish they would just make it cost gold and require max level on a character. It makes dailies and rep grinds suck so much less.

56 Likes

I agree with you, for sure. But as is often pointed out, with inflation, what sort of crazy amount of gold would flight cost?

5 Likes

I mean, them threatening to make azerite reforging cost even more if we didn’t shut up about it betrays a certain amount of seething contempt for the playerbase and a desire to punish people for not falling in line with their vision.

100 Likes

I really wouldn’t care if they wanted it to be 100k

1 Like

Petty and spiteful companies do not stay in business long.

Unless you’re EA. Hello, EA. :wave:

13 Likes

I find it is more likely that it’s ventilation from not getting what they want than the possibility of a whole company whose job it is to make a game being collectively spiteful.

9 Likes

Trying to gut the water strider before, receiving backlash, and then later refusing to make it exempt from the mount equipment like they did the sky golem.

58 Likes

Well, more to your point, OP. This game is developed by spreadsheet managers and less by players. What looks good on paper is what’s added to the game, not what people are asking for and passionate about. It’s why people feel snubbed here.

52 Likes

This is a case in which forum trolling/memeing has become so ubiquitous that people, even the ones doing the trolling/memeing, don’t realize that that’s what they’re doing.

Players are paying Blizz to play the game; why would anyone at Blizz, especially anyone who signs off on or review decisions that affect profits, make changes out of spite?

10 Likes

how about the worms in the revamped end game zones? if that’s not an attempt to get players to stop flight then tell me why they have it?

33 Likes

that worm thing in the sky seems pretty spiteful to me

24 Likes

To add a sense of menace; the worms doing stop anyone from flying.

6 Likes

Not really pathfinder is allot easier and faster to obtain than when flying first released sure it only cost 5k gold but you also needed to rep farm in order to get your proto drake. Something that took 2 months min provided you did all the faily quests. Pathfinder in comparison is faster and easier to obtain

5 Likes

I’d hazard a guess that it’s a first baby step towards removing Pathfinder for some “middle ground” that doesn’t just invalidate every single piece of ground content right off the bat. Making aerial obstacles keeps you engaged with what you’re doing and you can’t just zip between camps, completely wipe them, and repeat.

Like I said. Spreadsheets. But perhaps a good change for the future.

7 Likes

Perhaps it is unwise to have ground mounts be susceptible to danger while flying mounts get none.

And not Blizzard saying, “hey, I hate you. I hate you so much. I hate all of you complaining here, so I’m going to add this to actually show that I hate you.”

8 Likes

But now we have to wait half a year or more to get flying while it is still locked behind a rep grind or 40.

24 Likes

Watcher getting unanimously booed by the entire crowd at Blizz-con when he mentioned pathfinder in SL

seriously the most dedicated and loyal fans of the company and even they are booing you and he acts like hes getting a standing ovation

talk about being self deluded and so out of touch when you act like that in front of the very people paying for his game

62 Likes

8 rep grinds that you would have passively done over the period of time you mentioned

2 Likes