Is Alliance really that bad at PvP?

Hi Guys, I have been playing WoW for almost 11 years now, though i have been on and off for the last few years, I joined back in 2007 late Burning Crusade and have only played on the Alliance side and strictly have been PVPing. Since I recently came back to the game and hit 120 and started doing battle grounds, I quickly started thinking… “are alliance players really this bad at PVP”

For 11 years, it has almost become the norm that when i queue up for battle grounds there is a good 85% chance that its going to be a loss, and my senses are almost never wrong because out of the thousands of battle grounds I have done, huge majority of them have been a loss.

For the 15th year anniversary event, i played the Korrak’s Revenge non stop of 2 days, and only won 1 out of 9 matches, I have been doing random battle grounds all day today, so far have not won a single match out of 11 that I’ve done, but the issue is that I don’t see this as a problem and more of the norm because my experience has always been this way, even back in WoTLK when I was fully geared in rank 2200 wrathful gear.

so, now my quest more or less is, what are your guys experiences with this? I wanna hear from the horde players as well, do you experience the opposite of this or is this somehow the norm for you too? is this a me problem?

3 Likes

Sounds pretty normal. I mainly play Horde but I also maintain an Alliance alt. No, it’s not just a “you” problem :laughing: Don’t feel bad, it’s (probably) not your fault most of the time.

I hope this helps OP, any other questions?

1 Like

You must have not have queued much during the first 3/4ths of Wod. Alliance wrecked the horde then.

5 Likes

You are NOT alone in your observation. Also an old timer and note the difference. If you really want to feel the alliance sux burn play exclusively epics. It’s non consensual beat down on an epic scale. You can lay money on 10 to 20% win rates these days The why’s and how to fixes haven’t been answered but it’s been suggested that migration to horde by quality players is at a high mark along with changes to battlegrounds in order to make them “ feel well epic”.

2 Likes

I have been playing since 2004 and yes, Alliance has always been that bad at PVP. Although back then they almost predominately won AV without fail, horde hated AV because of that so you can imagine my surprise that they are losing Korrok’s Revenge.

I can only chalk it up to the fact roughly ~45% are doing quests for the mount and not actually PVPing. (As been the case in the majority of games I have been in.) I -want- the two mounts but I feel awful even participating in those quests because I just add to the problem.

I really wish they would add the tokens for wins instead of quests. :confused:

1 Like

Everyone has noticed this. The queue for alliance is 1-3 minutes. The queue for horde is more like 10-15 minutes. But every Alliance game consists of 15-20 players there to do quests. Horde has a few people as well doing it but nothing remotely close to Alliance side. Seriously we see HALF the entire Alliance team break off to the cave and to kill rams. What do you do with half a team? THe answer is die horribly. People don’t care either. Some even brag about how they are there exclusively for the mount and won’t help at all.

Alliance side is a massive revolving door. I see plenty of games so far that stays consistent 40 on horde with Alliance rollercoasting from 30 to 40 as people leave and are replaced. Most games you join as Alliance are already in progress and likely at the point of an irrecoverable loss anyways.

I’ve won twice on Alliance I think and the one time was only cause horde let us stall them in our base and they didn’t stop the group moving south that managed to down Drek before they could get onto Van.

4 Likes

Honestly, this is just leading to Alliance players getting fed up and giving up on queueing with the intention of winning. So less and less are even playing. If you aren’t there to be one of the drones avoiding pvp then you are just asking for a bad time. No point in getting pissed off at your fellow Alliance players when they don’t care and there’s nothing you can do about it.

So less and less Alliance are playing it, making the horde queue get progressively longer. The horde queue is seriously 5X longer at least.

7 Likes

The clowns that run things think this is working as intended. I’m beginning to actively hate them.

Don’t use this special AV event as measurement of how bad/good alliance or horde is in BGs. As a veteran player personally like to use the statistics tab to view how many bgs I won and lost in all these years.

I have both level 120 as horde and alliance. I can safely say that random bgs are about 50/50. Some days I go on a 5 win streak on my alliance, and another day on my horde. I notice I win more on smaller bgs like WSG when I play on my healers. I do my best as a healer and play to win the match, not to farm honor, so that could make a difference.

In the old days like vanilla and TBC Horde would dominate, but nowadays I believe it’s pretty even. It comes down to luck of the draw if you get a good group or not.

1 Like

I have 16 120s. Horde win more at night, Alliance win more during the day. BGs are a lot closer to 50/50 than people realize when all they have are their own time frames to go by.

1 Like

Alliance Dominated WoD

3 Likes

Yes and cata.

There was a point some time in the last 15 years… when, I guess coincidentally, Horde started winning a bit more than Alliance, consistently.

Alliance who were serious about PVP went to Horde, therefore Horde got better and the problem compounded exponentially.

Now, all good PVP’ers automatically join Horde and Horde dominates.

2 Likes

Nah Horde has just as many mouthbreathers, probably more. Make a premade on either side if you want to win consistently

2 Likes

Yes. Horde win about 75% if you count Epic BGs. This season has been specially bad for alliance with about 10% win percentage in Epic BGs. I think the reason is horde has more adult players and alliance has more kids and people trying pvp for the first time. The only upside is we have shorter queues.

2 Likes

So, my personal experience with Epic BGs this season. Just before BfA, Alliance (on my shard) won almost all AVs and just below 50% of Isle.

After BfA popped, there was some discussion about terrain changes. And I distinctly remember reading a thread from horde people thanking Blizzard for “fixing AV”. My record in AV since then is below 2 in 20 (with one of the 2 requiring us to summon Ivus).

I don’t queue Epics anymore as Alliance. I’ve seen essentially pre-made Alliance groups lose AV this xpac, vs. pug horde. My guess is that most people like me also aren’t queuing Epic BGs (I like good fights, but don’t enjoy maps or situations with obvious bias).

1 Like

Honestly this is the best solution.

2 Likes

Somewhere around WoD or so, Horde learned to play and have mostly dominated AV ever since. AV was always Horde’s to win, especially when reinforcements are involved, so as long as they don’t get suckered into trying to zerg and actually play the objectives, they have a much easier time of it.

It took like 10 years of WoW for the public to shift to what though… and I find that really interesting. Will, in another 10 years, Alliance shift to some yet undiscovered strat that Horde can’t deal with? Who knows!

something to consider here is that the average horde pug is as coordinated as many premades used to be. between people calling out incs, linking capping info, and paying attention to the map and current situation it takes a lot more for a premade to take on modern pugs.

additionally, one of the easiest ways to tell alliance rerolls is their chat behavior, horde from legion to bfa have been mostly all business in chat, discussing strats, calling incs, linking timers, etc. when someone starts talking about how we are going to lose or gets all negative nancy in chat, its pretty obvious they are fresh off the faction change boat.

I agree it is a lil fascinating to see such a shift over the past few years! I just hope that at some point (but I am not holding my breath) that both sides can find a happy balance of BOTH sides actually being good.

So that its not a completely S*** show for one or the other, I know a lot of people can agree it is not fun to almost always be on the losing side.

On that note, talking about all this reminded me back, like WAY back in classic, when the alliance would just sit in their spawn rooms during AB and let the horde win cause they would rather just get that 1 badge fast, as opposed to fighting for 30+ minutes to lose.