Is 16G Ram enough?

Just for strictly running WoW, no other games.
Intel Core i7-11700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD

Yes, it’s plenty

2 Likes

Sample size 1.

1080p 3/4/5 20-30 fps…
240 SSD , 4 gig memory 2.8gh cuta , wireless 40 ft away.
Way under mimum required.
Still can solo stuff with this one…
Ya with 16 gig you could easily play 5 accounts…lol

1 Like

Oh ok, I’m just trying to run it on the highest graphic setting that’s all.
And geez 20-30 fps dude lol

1 Like

That’s a 32" 4k tv…

16GB is plenty, but I wanted overkill, so I went with 32GB. :slight_smile:

32GB is the new 16GB don’t know what you call ‘plenty’ but just Windows 10 running basic stuff some drivers nothing running in background I am sitting at 12GB all the time… so I opted for 32GB this time around and now that Windows has access to 32GB I am over 17GB when WoW is running… plus my monitoring tools… so 16GB clearly NOT enough in my case…

I am not running anything crazy just a browser, some desktop monitoring tools for CPU and hardware monitoring, I could probably kill some stuff but why? 32GB don’t need to…

1 Like

This has already been gone over. 16GB is plenty for a WoW machine (which is what OP said they want): Upgrade CPU/Mobo or stay where i'm at - #14 by Griefs-emerald-dream

Just because your own system shows more usage doesn’t mean that much RAM is actually in use.

1 Like

Well, my rig uses 10.8GB of RAM while I’m playing WoW and streaming Twitch at the same time.

1 Like

I have a very similiar set up. Where I differ, you have better. I can run 3 instances of wow on max settings with no issues. (granted two are doing much more than crafting, but they’re open and running).

This pretty much sums up the entire thread.

It is also 100% accurate. 32GB is the new 16GB and an 8 core processor will soon be the new 6 core. Probably by the end of this year. Some new games are coming out at the end of this year with new engines built around eight core processors instead of 6

Ps>Felkbez I am horde again. This is Shiftydruid

1 Like

I play on a laptop, you’re fine love😂
#brokegirlprobs

1 Like
  1. This thread is about a WoW-only build. We’ve literally provided data here and elsewhere showing 16GB doesn’t come close to running dry when playing WoW and doing other things like streaming at the same time

2. People have been saying this crap about CPU cores in games for multiple console generations now. Doesn’t change the reality that many things can’t be run in parallel

3. Wasting money seems to be your MO so I’m not surprised you would waste money on extra RAM like you’ve done with your CPU purchases since you started posting here

Depends on the use case.

For an old laptop that’s only ever used for light browsing and that kind of thing, 8GB is fine even running Win10 (I know because I have one such machine). Just make sure you’ve got an SSD so on the odd occasion the system need to use its pagefile, it won’t be excruciating.

For game only machines, 16GB is more than enough. Depending on what you play you might be able to scrape by on 8GB, especially if you’re running Windows LTSC with extraneous crap like Cortana switched off.

For a dev/work machine, 16GB is the bare minimum (IMO). On my main workhorse I can easily fill 16GB with a couple of IDEs, device simulators, and a handful of browser tabs. For comfort 32GB is better. In some specific cases like 3D rendering 64GB+ can be useful depending on the complexity of the scenes being rendered.

How else do you plan on getting more perf out when his CPU is hit it’s limit? If you actually read what he says (or even google for 5 min) you’d realize tweaking RAM performance gives upwards of 20% in World of Warcraft.

You keep lying and provide 0 evidence:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/analyzing-world-warcraft-multi-core-scaling/

In older Dazar’alor you can see 6 cores in use for just WoW.
https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/games.rk.edu.pl/images/wowocores_load_dazaralor.png

In newer games like DS it uses 24 threads already:
https://external-preview.redd.it/C4vXYyONDSpoCyd2W4sGPgHBWE8wzo6dvEn7XtjMKzQ.png?auto=webp&s=350b36f0b3ec2b09457108bbf59f701e26aa0c29

Even my 8 core/16 thread slows my 10700 and almost at the limits of my 16GB in Stellaris.

Shifty is completely correct based on evidence. No idea where you’re getting your info from, Griefs.

1 Like

Airibeth is right.

Griefs you are just flat out wrong. Even though your ram capacity wont be maxed in all scenarios with “just wow”. You are hindering your performance with 16gb vs 32gb. The faster your CPU the more of a bottleneck your ram can create. This is a fact. Just because ALL 16GB are not at 100% max does not mean that its not creating a bottleneck. RAM does NOT work like that Griefs. It does not work like a storage drive aka if if all 16GB are not used your fine. No. Thats not how RAM works. Thats how an SSD works.

Think of it like this. You can dump 1 glass of water out into 3 separate glasses or 6. When its spread among 6 glasses you get faster performance. The only time this is not true is when your CPU is your current bottleneck. aka If you were ok something like lets say a 4770k. Then Griefs you would be correct because you are already bottlenecked by your CPU.

1 Like

Oh man you shouldn’t have said that shifty, griefs will have to block you because you disagree with him :frowning_face:

Should also say that no gaming PC will be strictly wow forever, people will have to find something new to play that interests them, people who think otherwise need a reality check

2 Likes

Weird, you once liked and agreed his decision about “wasting” money by going to a 10900k despite buying a 5800x and 5900x and his bad experiences

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749338020565483613/835567683096936500/Screenshot_20210424-122634.png

Now you despise him for “wasting” money on buying Intel all because he has different opinions about yours

3 Likes

Really what money have I wasted? Your MO seems to be reaching up and pulling statements out of your rear that you have no factual basis for. I mean it’s one thing if you make a statement based on some type of factual finding that you literally had nothing to go off of when making a statement like that. Nor did you think outside the box enough to realize that Ryzen processors are selling like hotcakes at the moment and it would not be hard to resell one of those. I will break the math down in detail right here

• 5800x - Bought it at MSRP (450$). Resold it for 600$= 150$ profit
  • 5900x Bought it just above MSRP (620$). Resold it for 770$= 150$ profit.
  • 10900k Bought under MSRP at employee Price (under 350$) Cant reveal exact price I got it for. Legal reasons. Cant resell it either

Did the math. Since the original purchase was for 450$ and I made 350$ profit on the resales. I spent under 350$ on the 10900k. Hmmm. Seems to me my processor was FREE in the end.

So to clarify 0$ wasted. 0$ spent. I actually walked away in the positive (it was under 350$) due to how cheap I got the 10900k. May want to redo the math when accusing someone of wasting money. I made money silly. Griefs you just look foolish now.

Good point too. However I didnt waste money because in the end I didnt spend any. I made money. I clarified this fact above in detail. I also pointed out the fallacies of what “Griefs” stated.

1 Like