Ion: "We hear you!" Class Design Being Fixed in 9.0?

“Ah well the expansion launch wasn’t that great. Hopefully 8.1 solves it”

“Ah dang. Well 8.2 is supposed to be big. Maybe then it’ll be good”

“Well they made this video and stated that they hear us. So maybe not 8.3 but what about next expansion?”

The cycle continues…

73 Likes

^ this guy gets it. Blizzard survives on selling hopes and dreams that are never realized.

31 Likes

Would be mainly utility dumb dumb

1 Like

I mean, I feel like this actually happens on an expansion cycle.

Cata = Great announcement, meh expansion
MoP = Bad announcement, good expansion
WoD = Great announcement, bad expansion
Legion = “We’ve lost all hope” announcement, good expansion
BFA = Great announcement, abysmal expansion

We’re due for another good expansion, but that means the expansion after is gonna be even worse. I can’t even think about how it could be worse. But it can.

3 Likes

I saw that video and thought they might actually do something good for classes coming up. I like the idea of giving back some of the skills they gave to other specs and making the specs seem more specific and RP like for that spec.

I think they should come up with a group of skills that the class as a whole can use and then use the talent tree to make the specs more RP specific. Maybe use the talent tree to change a skill that is in the group skills to make it more specific to that spec.

Whatever they do to classes and specs I hope it makes them more fun again. Really miss the enjoyment I use to have with classes before I left at the end of Cata but before MoP. I would PvP again if they made them fun like back then.

:+1: To classes and specs being fun again.

1 Like

I actually wasn’t happy with Legion tbh. I thought it more of a meh expansion since they forced me to stop being a PvP only player. I’m not too thrilled about what’s to come next. Personally I’ve lost all hope in both BFA and the next expansion.

12 Likes

Fair enough. I was fine with it because of the fact that the Artifact provided a new ability and an end-game progressin system. I didn’t mind the grind.

I did mind that they turned it into a plot device to get rid of it just so we could do it all over again with a crappier system.

3 Likes

I agree - but I think that is a different issue.

It is one thing to have different functions, like soothes, silences, ccs.

But it is quite another thing when the Devs bloat the rotations with unnecessary fillers to give the impression of complexity and to occupy our time.

4 Likes

I’m sure Ion says this every xpac.

11 Likes

That’s because 9.0 is the next expansions patch. It’s not just too late, it’s literally over by the time they fix it.

It’s funny because we said this in beta. People said not to worry because they’d fix it before launch. When it launched and we said it again they told us not to worry they’d get to it later. 8.2 came around and even though they said they’d get to it, they told us we misunderstood and they were only numbers tuning a little. Then we complained and they said that there were no plans this expansion.

I mean… usually they string us along with “a later patch” for a while, but this time they straight up didn’t even try really. The takeaway is that they never intended to fix the classes at all. It’s just so poorly done that I can’t help but think it was intentional, be it laziness or spite.

38 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t too keen on the AP system in Legion. But along with that and World Quests both being something new I didn’t mind it too much. It was only when they decided to say “Great! Now lets wipe the slate clean and do it again!” is when I got frustrated and the clock started for burnout.

7 Likes

Yuupp, exactly how I feel.

If that’s what happens in 9.0, I’m out.

2 Likes

I know, right?

And I keep seeing people say that they can’t make sweeping class changes in the middle of an expansion. Why can’t they? The alternative is being stuck with poor class design for an entire expansion, and I think we’ve all seen how awful that is. What is stopping them from making these changes during BfA and leaving us stuck like this until “next expansion will fix it”? It’s just not a great place for the game to be stuck in.

12 Likes

The only thing of any merit I ever hear is that people think they’re afaid to change the Mythic+ meta mid season. So they’d have only small windows to implement big changes.

Which, in theory, threatens their ability to market the invitational. Who’s going to pay and play and advertise when at any moment your class could become less functional and by developer design you’re no longer viable mid competition?

Which, if I’m being honest with you Flowermilk, is just another example of how e-sports ruins gaming. >:(

13 Likes

Classes have been garbage since WOD, only propped up by artifacts and legendaries in Legion, the fact that it took them 5+ years to figure this out and publicly admit it is absolutely staggering.

36 Likes

And to that I say: who is even going to pay attention to a tournament for a game that is in such an awful state that tons of people have unsubbed to play something else? If the reason is “esports” it doesn’t even make any sense. You need an audience for esports, and the game needs to actually be in a decent state for that.

10 Likes

But it is quite another thing when the Devs bloat the rotations with unnecessary fillers to give the impression of complexity and to occupy our time.

I like that though.

Pushing a button and just seeing DAMAGE! Isn’t fun. One reason I dislike current state of Feral, where yeah it’s powerful, but that’s all it is is 130k Ferocious Bite crits making up most of my damage.

I want to be pushing like 10 different abilities to complete my damage rotation. And I want those abilities playing off of eachother to the point where if you mess up 1 button in the “chain” or “combo” you lose, take a dmg penalty and start again.

I find that kind of stuff enjoyable and is the reason I play RPG’s.

3 Likes

Id like to be viable with less.

If they add anything i hope its niche and not gimmicky, rotational garbage. I like my simple rotations.

2 Likes

You know what the numbers stand for, right?

7 Likes

I dont want old zones to be relevant at endgame. Too much to do is a thing.

1 Like