Ion tweeted that he doesn't want any RPPvP servers at launch. Here is a breakdown of why that should change

Just one RP-PvP server is all we ask.

21 Likes

It’s all we need.

5 Likes

They aren’t niche. When RP-PvP servers originally launched, they were immensely popular. There were less of them, numerically, but they were far more consistently populated than their PvE equivalents.

Ion is planning for failure. What is about to happen to this game is going to shock him.

8 Likes

Honestly all i hear is suit talk for No, mostly because he seems to contradict what he say’s a lot.

Also it goes to show that Blizzard really doesn’t have high hopes for Vanilla wow in General. Though at least it looks like they’re considering server bloat. Best bet may be getting free transfers.

Still there isn’t a reason at all to not do a RP-PVP server, but add in RP-PVE servers.

6 Likes

Hope I captured the time. But the survey on Reddit showed that there were interest for RP-PvP servers. At the time Frost made this video, I think there were some 11k participants, but when I took it, that number was over 15k.

2 Likes

I got the Reddit post there as well, the problem is i asked a few people around reddit, and other media sites to do the same, but no one will? RP-PvP from a lot of stand points at least in poll is higher, Not saying it will be but it’s there.

Remember that RP-PVP servers weren’t in game at launch, so that does hurt it quite a bit.

1 Like

Yeah dude like I said they won’t know the actual number of these people though until the game comes out. Surveys aren’t really something to go off of. RP-PVP servers are a really popular topic and people (like myself) would like blizzard to open them up specifically for the people who want them but have no plans to actually play on them. Yeah 15k people said they will play on the servers, but how many of these people actually are and aren’t just saying they are because they think they should make them. If the RP community in classic is ACTUALLY ridiculously small once WoW is released then I couldn’t see them opening them up.

I believe classic is going to be massive and they will open up the rp-pvp servers regardless. But acting like we have any real data to support this is kinda being disingenuous.

1 Like

For the RP-PvP servers!

2 Likes

Just for the record, I didn’t say 15k would play those servers. I said 15k had taken the survey. So the actual number is much smaller than 15k.

Have to beware of though, only a handful of people use Reddit. I was only aware of the survey because of that video, as I don’t use Reddit at all.

So the actual percentage could be a lot higher or lower, but undeniably, there is an interest. Don’t see why it would hurt Blizz to open at least one for each region.

1 Like

Because they don’t want dead servers… that’s why. As of right now they have 0 clue how many people are even going to play classic. If they just opened up an rp-pvp server but then they realize oh they only have like 3000 rpers who are online at any given time after a year, half of which go to rp and the other that goes to rppvp well now you just killed both those servers.

We don’t know how many servers will be opened up so playing it safe is just the smartest business move. But like I said, I foresee classic being a major success and rppvp will be opened up eventually.

I think they should do RPPvP servers but I can see a down side. If you open 2 for N.America Do you open 1 for S. America? Does S.A have enough to support it. Ausses would need 1 also? etc etc for each localized region they have.

I doubt Ion will read this, but I don’t have a twitter: You’re making a mistake

4 Likes

That tweet is news to me but Im happy to see if because he states:

But our priority is making sure servers have long-term healthy populations, so we’ll start with lean realmlists and expand as needed

That is huge. It means anyone who starts day one early in the day will likely only have a certain number of servers to choose from. And most of those servers are going to end up really high pop as everyone loads on to those first.

Bad news for the people trying to dodge streamers I guess? Theyll have to reroll on one of the servers that open later.

This also probably means they definitely be using sharding or higher pop caps at start (one of the two) followed by lowering the caps later to ensure health long term after tourists leave.

You’re blowing things a bit out of proportion.

2 Likes

Their cloud-based system makes it easier than ever to merge servers if need be. If a RP-PvP server did begin to have low population, I am sure it would be rather easy to make it a regular PvP server.

Don’t make it more complicated than need be on pure speculation.

1 Like

I’m not making it more complicated, the op did I was just shutting down his points with logic. I guess yours too.

“I don’t see why they can’t open up an rppvp server” is sort of a dumb statement. You don’t have any clue what’s going into it and neither do I, so I was just giving examples of what could happen. It’s not hard to see why they would want to see what happens.

I thought it was going to be obvious they would have at least one…

RP-PVP was what I was going to roll on.

They were really popular back in vanilla… they only started to die in Cata, when the game in general started to die…

1 Like

If he actually genuinely cares about server population health, he would not outright doom the one that RPPVP players will have to choose at startup, it will die the instant a RPPVP server opens.

That tweet from Ion was actually from the 24th. Hopefully he understands it a bit better now.

4 Likes

I think you missed the part where Ion said,

But our priority is making sure servers have long-term healthy populations, so we’ll start with lean realmlists and expand as needed, just as the 2004 launch did.

I think there’s more demand for RP-PVP than RP, so if they had to choose just one I think that call is obvious

2 Likes