Ion Promised Us More Server Connections After BlizzCon '19

Maybe they are realizing connections suck and they should merge servers.

1 Like

Connections won’t solve anything because when connections happen all they do is merge a bunch of dead realms into other dead realms. At the end of day you are still playing on a dead realm. What I wish they’d do is merge the dead realms into big servers because even big realms are less active than normal. It would almost permanently solve the dead realm problem. Throwing 10 or so dead realms into each of Stormrage, Proudmoore, Area 52, etc would be great for everyone. I Seriously doubt it would lead to server queues either.

Lets connect Shattered Hand Cluster with Area 52 Plz.

Even a simple, we are still discussing it would be better than the total silence we are getting now would be better. They talk about better communication yet more often than not we get long stretches of silence.

1 Like

It shut everyone up about it for 4 or 5 months. the next time I might work for a few more before that actually do anything about it.

He never gave a time table for when it would actually happen. I personally don’t care when they do it as long as it’s before Shadowlands.

He didn’t promise it. He said he’d bring it up with them. He made it pretty clear that this wasn’t a promise.

2 Likes

“it’s something we need to do”
“we’ll do it as soon as we can”

Sounds pretty clear to me.

1 Like

I’ll get to it eventually

Servers are always at their fullest at an expansion launch. I’d imagine they’d wait until after 9.0 drops before they start doing that. When they did it during MoP, it was like 5.1-5.2, or somewhere around then.

Probably not until next year sometime :frowning:

During one of the Blizzcon panels years ago, Tom Chilton mentioned this was a possibility. I think it was Chilton? Maybe someone else who’s now retired?

[Either way, they haven’t yet made] any new connections even though they could.

They would definitely lose server xfer income if all realms were connected into a single mega-server, so :woman_shrugging:

He hasn’t done that because it would hinder their profit.

They would rather create more and more realms only for the people to realize their playing a mmorpg and have them pay to xfer.

Why do I see people in Boralus, Uldum, Vale, Stormwind, etc etc on my server when they’re not part of my server? CLEARLY they should be. I always see people from the same 5-6 servers.

Yeah, it’s frustrating. It seems like they want realms to feel more alive and inhabited without actually having to connect servers. :cry:

1 Like

I think that might be the key phrase here. “as soon as we can” may be “never” to the business and marketing side of the company.

“You don’t solve that by mergers, you solve that by promoting server transfers.”

Yea, forcing name changes for people is much better than simply connecting servers. You make a good point.

1 Like

I’m sorry but that’s not acceptable when he said what he did in the video. It’s screwing up economies and leaving people without raiding options on these servers which means you’re forced to transfer if any of that is the only thing that will keep you playing. Furthermore, for a lot of people I imagine it’s not really an easy thing to consider as a lot of people have alts that they probably wouldn’t be willing to transfer without.

2 Likes

This.

I’m on a higher population server, but people keep trying to give it a faction imbalance by saying Alliance is dead here. (It’s far from it.)

If something does happen, my only choice is to transfer off. I’d rather quit. I’m tired of spending hundreds of dollars on services that should be far cheaper or free. Rerolling in 2020 is a pitiful option when we’ve been playing characters for so long.

They just need to suck it up and merge a bunch of dead servers. No more of this connected nonsense, and offer free transfers again to some of the more imbalanced realms. Warmode exists now so there’s really no excuse.

2 Likes

It might improve playtime metric though if players are happier.

You missed the trademark symbol. He meant, “soon™.”