Interrupts need a nerf

I write this post nearly every month. As a frost mage, it’s a huge issue in battlegrounds. You nearly can’t cast frostbolts to get going, because everyone and their mother has an interrupt or two.

Stuns on top of interrupts, on top of cc effects are just far too much, and are also not fun at all to deal with.

So often I end up in situations where I’m locked out of shadow, arcane and frost, while also being fear chained, and then stunned. It makes no freakin sense that it is like that.

I know some of you are going to talk about fake casting. Well, yeah. Fake casting does work sometimes, but in most situations, you end up wasting time, as you will fail to predict what the target will interrupt, or if the target will interrupt at all.

In situations where you’re up against a shaman who picked grounding totems (why the heck would you not?), you pretty much already can’t really land much of anything. Add a rogue on top of that who decides to focus you, and it becomes nearly impossible to cast anything unless they make a mistake. It’s freakin terrible gameplay.

I understand how interrupts are essential to stop cc spells, because cc spells are absolute cancer too, but they shouldn’t be used to stop basic attack spells like frostbolts, because at this point, it should be freakin second-nature for the caster to know these darn spells effortlessly.

TLDR: Game’s trash.

4 Likes

Ironically, those interrupts are part of the reason melee has a chance against casters like Frost Mage at all.

9 Likes

Maybe in 1 vs 1 situations. But when it ends up against more than 1 people, you can’t even cast spells, while balance druids can do as they please. This is why they dominate so much, because their things are easy to cast.

"Ranged cc and slows needs nerf. If a mage spams poly when I freedom then I get ranged slowed forver, I could try to stop the poly but what if a warlock fears me or stuns me? Or an ele lassos or thunderstorms? Then I can’t hit anything.

Add a cooldown to polymorph and slows."
Yea no.

It goes both ways, 1 class alone can’t shut you down as mage, if it’s 2 there may be some room for counterplay, if it’s 3 you don’t stand a chance, same goes for most melee.

5 Likes

ty for soaking all of the interupts, i’m sure your healers are very happy that they are able to play the game.

5 Likes

I know you’re frustrated. After playing a lot of casters and reading a lot of feedback about mages, I think a big part of the issue here is frost mage design. After Frozen Orb, you have to hardcast to do any real damage through procs…and because the procs are RNG, you can cast 3-4 frostbolts and still not get a proc. Meanwhile, the warrior just comes up and mortal strikes you.

Other casters have an easier time. Fire mages can nuke people pretty easily. Warlocks can be very sturdy. Shadow priests have many instant casts. With frost, you spend half the fight trying to start the fight. And yeah, if it’s 2 on 1 then it’s pretty much gg.

It really seems like the only way to solve this is to make frost mages much less reliant on procs to do decent damage. This would require redesigning their basic rotation and possibly adding one spell and deleting another. To me, this makes more sense than nerfing interrupts across the board.

You’re just going to be reported for spam as you’re entirely unhelpful here. All you do is cry about getting kicked… just juke the kick and stop crying. Fireblast the grounding totem.

2 Likes

Problem is just some pvp caster designs are outdated into the high tuned cleaves. Main reason aff and destro warlocks struggle right now is into Resto shaman double melee cleaves running three kick train into them and training them till they die. Frost mage same deal have to cast one school of magic and get bent over when multiple kicks stuns and purges go for them all game.

My ele shaman has two schools so I generally pump highest in any game I play when compared to another caster. Obviously melee pvp damage is overtuned as I can’t keep up with 6k tsg dps or ret dark arch or ret warrior necro banned but I don’t care if I get kicked similar to fire mage with three schools or boomkin where their cyclone is almost instant cast and they very rarely need to cast to get damage off. As a shadow priest you can full dot without ever casting and if people aren’t running on your necro caster or killing pay to win fiend they are dead ten times over without shadow priest ever casting outside maybe a void torrent.

Interrupts if anything don’t need a nerf it’s more likely stuns need to be revisited for rmp and jungle tuning and spammable cc needs a tweak so we don’t have caster cleave meta infinitely cc’ing and a mongo melee train running at people with infinite mini interrupts like earth elemental legendary or incap roar or enhance shaman mini stun or dragon breath on such a short cooldown etc. kicks being on a baseline 20-30 seconds is good for the game it’s all the other trash that is silly like adding void volley stun which is actually insane cc if it lands on you as there is no dr.

Only kick that should be nerfed hard is Resto shaman kick cooldown as they have infinite purge spam plus kick plus grounding totem as a healer which is quite toxic to play into as a mage when your getting trained by an additional two kicks. Make it 24 second cd and have enhance and ele keep the short cooldown kick.

Tldr kicks are great for the game maybe increase their cooldown if the trashy mini interrupts stay in the game after shadowlands.

2 Likes

Is that why theres zero balance druids in arenas but theres actually mages there…because balance druids do what they please? ^^

1 Like

We are discussing battlegrounds, hence the battleground forum.

1 Like

how does a duelist frost mage let any1 touch him in a random bg?

sus indeed

8 Likes

Frost Mages top damage meters regularly . Really surprised to see such a post by someone as geared as the OP

1 Like

I do top damage most of the time. My battleground stats are ridiculous. Doesn’t mean it’s fun to play the game. When you’re geared like me, you end up in situations where nearly everyone decides to focus you, and so you get chain interrupted.

And Doraged, you live on another platet if you think melee can’t get to me just because I’m frost. Frost nova, root lasts just about as long as my global cooldown, and I have just enough mobility to outrun a warrior if I have all of my cooldowns up. Play the class, and you’ll notice that you have to tank a lot of damage. But it’s not the issue here.

A lot of the interrupts are ranged, even for melee classes, while also adding all other forms of cc on top. Stuns are interrupts too.

You’re funny. I’d also like a cooldown on polymorph. If they did, perhaps they’d be tempted to give frost mages deep freeze back, because we would become extremely trash.

In such a situation, if I get interrupt chained, before being locked in a cycle of cc, the healer is not having a fun time either, because said healer would be forced to heal himself without any peel.

Anyway. A change I would enjoy would be a immunity to interrupts in the school of magic affected for around 12-16 second after interrupt effect is over, if the interrupt is used against a basic damage spell. (This way it won’t make healers even more op, and it would also lead people into mostly interrupting cc casts, and it would make things more fun for everyone, because cc sucks)

Think about what you are saying . You are confirming that in-spite of being interrupted all the time , you are top damage . And you want to take away that tool so that you are even more OP ??

3 Likes

To be fair, most of that “top damage” damage is likely from instant casts that can’t be interrupted anyway (ie Orb, insta blizz if talented into that, ice lance, comet storm, etc).

If anything this speaks more to the actual design flaw in PvP. Too much melee mobility and too many instant casts from casters. In my opinion, the warrior vs mage balancing, which seems to be what dictates class balance, has gotten too far out of hand.

1 Like

I can’t top damage in games where I’m silenced all of the time. That’s true. I become a target dummy. Honestly, you’d have to play to understand how terrible it feels. Some games, I may as well just be a spectator. lol

1 Like

I am leveling a Frost mage and a Destro lock right now and I understand some of the pain of having only 1 magic school and getting locked out . But I am very unfamiliar with these classes so probably not positioning well

However I see Frost Mages smashing everything in BG’s so I guess they are pretty good . Destro Locks need some help I think :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

PREACH. The game has been an arms race for years, and it needs to chill and get back to some roots.

If you’re getting that focused, then your team isn’t playing well, and you’re probably going to lose anyway, so getting trained isn’t really the problem. The problem is there’s no peel/healing for you, no pressure on them, etc.

As an Arcane mage, I can’t even blink or poly, so I feel you. But sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. That doesn’t necessarily mean the problem is interrupts, the problem is likely the quote above: there’s a kite/catch arms race that has gotten out of hand. You can see it with healers not needing to hardcast pretty much anything at all for the most part and getting away with bonkers healing, because the instant-cast damage is bonkers, and everything is bonkers.

WoW needs to chill, but I think Blizz is worried about BfA forever-arenas that wait for dampening for action to occur, and they can’t figure out how to just neuter damage and healing both to result in some semblance of an interesting back-and-forth.

3 Likes

Late post for late memes.

Have you considered, and this might sound crazy… Frost novaing them and blinking away to cast? Or using shimmer. Or slowing them. Or Wele. Or poly to setup. Or generally exist.

Lots of options! But hey, I’m all for going back to wrath kicks where I could keep you locked out for over a minute without hitting a kick.

2 Likes

You should play a healer for that true dummy experience. I get flagged on average 4 or 5 games per 10-15 game sessions :joy:

2 Likes