Interesting Mathias reports to Genn and keeps things from the current King

“I was right. You are an idealist. You have the necessary ruthlessness.” -James Blish “Cities In Flight”

Alleria and void is a bad mix. Sylvanas doesn’t have her Jailer juice anymore so the oldest sister can wreck havoc alot. And I don’t trust her as far as I can throw her.

You don’t trust your own shadow afraid of it being alliance aligned :clown_face:.

Joke aside, Alleria from a quel’dorei perspective is not trustworthy but from an alliance one she is perfectly fine. So it really depends on who you ask.

As for us, alleria for now at least has shown that she is trustworthy if you are not an orc, undead or her sister.

1 Like

Pretty sure Vereesa trusts Alleria just fine. No indication otherwise so far at least.

[Edit]: Actually, I don’t think she’s been shown to have any problems with the undead either, for that matter. She has a hate for Orcs, absolutely, but its strange that we haven’t really… seen that come up anywhere. Even in the novels when she was interrogating an Orc mother using the void to find out information about Sylvanas’ Dark Rangers, Alleria didn’t seem to take any joy out of it. She actually saw her victim as a mother if I recall correctly, meaning she can see Orcs as more than just monsters, and even relate to them: she spared the woman’s child after he tried to attack them.

[Edit 2]: Page 87 to 88 of the novel, ‘Shadow’s Rising.’

The next paragraph is Alleria being certain the mother is the one with the information they needed, and proceeding to the torture. That having been said, even Alleria, who HATES the Orcs with an unrivaled fury, can still see them as people, relate to them, and empathize with them to the extent that looking at an orc child, she can think of her own son.

So, I don’t know. If I were an Orc, I’d probably trust her with my children more than I would another Orc, who’d sooner grant them glorious death in battle for honor.

I’m talking about the other windrunner sister. The one that matters.

Still she hates them, so it would be wise for an orc to be cautios around her and if the heritage quest is anythingx it is clearly that the orc race is moving in a new direction, leaving the hordes( old and garrosh’s) philosophy behind.

And as for the undead and sylvanas alleria did not really cared about quel’thalas and the third war, she heard of it and that was it. Her human family was always more important to her or at least it is how it is shown in game.

She being good in a book does not help much with her representation in game.

1 Like

She’d just need some proper in-game representation with Orcs/Undead first.

So far she was present on Argus, and then… sat on the ship in Boralus for all of BFA, save for a brief cameo with Vereesa at the second siege of Orgrimmar. She showed up for Sylvanas’ trail at the Shadowlands as well.

Otherwise… we haven’t really seen her interact with any undead or orcs other than the book. That is to say, we haven’t seen her interact with any since her return to Azeroth.

3 Likes

While I’m happy for the Light=Bad story, I’ll readily just admit that I’ve been waiting to axe Turalyon in the skull ever since his little “Orcs aren’t from Azeroth and therefore don’t have any rights and should all be unalived” rant in Tides of Darkness.

2 Likes

Seems that stance has since changed.

1 Like

Perhaps so, but more than almost any other character in WoW, Turalyon is prone to… extreme beliefs, whatever they may be. Whether it be space racism or his anti-free-will Light crusade, the guy always goes all in on ideology. He may recover from his hateful opinions, but then he just moves onto the next hate-filled ideology! I just don’t like his personality or temperament, he always has and always will rub me the wrong way.

2 Likes

There’s no basis for this in the modern character, however. I think this may have been a fair statement back circa WC2, but even back then, for the longest time during the war he couldn’t countenance fighting the Orcs because it seemed to be against the Light’s teachings to willingly inflict harm on others (or something to that extent, basically, he couldn’t figure out how the Orcs could be people, and be so given over to evil). It was only after Lothar’s death that Turalyon had the, ‘epiphany,’ that the Orcs weren’t actually people at all, but monsters, and that there was no redeeming qualities to them at all, meaning destroying them only made the world a better place (this being your aforementioned rant).

Since his return to Azeroth, however, we’ve seen an older, wiser Turalyon whom is much more moderate, rather than extreme. We’ve seen him tell Anduin that the Light should guide them, but not control them. We’ve seen him talk down a raging Genn from restarting the Fourth War, in order to preserve peace.

Most notably, we’ve seen Turalyon do something NO ONE ELSE IN THE ALLIANCE DID FOR OVER TEN YEARS. When presented with a Forsaken for the first time, face to face, when actually talking to one, all of his preconceptions about them were lifted. Unlike everyone else on Azeroth, he realized that the Forsaken are NOT in fact monsters masquerading in the flesh of dead loved ones, but are those people brought back to unlife.

This is not indicative of someone prone to, “extreme beliefs.” If he were still that person, he would’ve just killed Faol and made it his life’s duty to exterminate all the undead.

Xe’ra is more indicative of a character driven by extreme beliefs. She believed that the Light alone was pure and just, that all other powers were profane and needed to be destroyed. Turalyon accepts and embraces diversity of thought and culture. He’s maintained peace over the years, and while he may be cautious, he’s far from a zealot. Try to compare Turalyon to the Scarlet Crusade, and you’ll understand why this view of him is so intrinsically flawed.

5 Likes

He worked for Xe’ra, and working for a N%&# is the same as being one. Sorry, that’s how it goes.

He was a foaming-at-the-mouth racist against Orcs, then “recovered” from his awful beliefs right into the arms of a crusading windchime with a horrible agenda. Funny how he keeps following and supporting the worst causes, over and over. You see this a lot in the real world with people who have addictions and belong in cults, they move from one terrible cause to another, never truly recovering, but substituting one bad thing for another.

That’s a pattern, however you spell it out, and its cause for distrust. What’s Horrible Ideology #3 going to be for Turalyon?

Wow. That’s a hot take and a half.

No offense, but if that’s your stance, what does that say about the Horde?

That agenda being stop the Burning Legion from destroying all life in the universe? Yes, terrible agenda, how dare they do that.

The causes he signs up for being… protect those whom cannot protect themselves. Yes, very awful causes.

Are you trolling?

Maybe he’ll join the Horde and actually do something bad for a change?

6 Likes

I think there are some beautiful “Light-improved” worlds encased in crystal you’d love a timeshare on. I’m sure the Light only cares about ending the Burning Crusade, totallllly benevolent.

Sure, give me a name and address and I’ll start looking. In other words, until we’re shown these hypothetical worlds, they don’t exist. A dev once spoke of that as a concept of what the tyrrany of the Light would look like, not as a, “Oh these actually exist.”

Doesn’t seem like the Army of the Light was aware of any other agenda before Xe’ra died, so, yeah. They signed up to protect all of creation from the Burning Legion, and weren’t told of anything else.

Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely certain Xe’ra would’ve made the Shadowlands or Lifelands or Voidlands or whatever her next target, but no one in the Army of the Light is apparently aware of that.

2 Likes

Alleria just like Vereesa and Valeera have loyalty to the alliance first and foremost. Not her own race or the official government of Quel’thalas. So yes she should never be allowed back.

Might be my english. But abdicated to her son*

The doubt exists in fan theories or wishful thinking. If Xe’ra had a hold over him, he wouldn’t have protested her initial decision. When Alleria was locked, he planned decided to talk Xe’ra her about it later (or maybe considered Xe’ra had a valid point that she’s allowed to make rules forbidding Void use on her own ship).

If you know anyone in the army, ask what they would do if their partner broke a law during wartime in front of their CO.

Good point. Also, it was the pain of Alleria using the Void to pull the knowledge from their mind that hurt.

While there’s some good points here, I have a problem with the premise. If the Light controlled him, he never would’ve disagreed with or challenged Xe’ra. If Xe’ra was so controlling, she wouldn’t have compromised (the number one thing fanatics don’t do) at Turalyon’s (and Lothraxion’s) pleas or allowed anyone to question or challenge her decisions.

They were not controlled by the Light, especially not as much as Mith claims. I’ve even done a thread addressing this very topic (and Mith/Ren knows it too).

That said, you make some solid points.

Spot on about Turalyon.

Partially wrong about Xe’ra. She allowed mages in the Army of the Light, who use Arcane magic, the force of Order/the Titans, something she would not have done if she considered all but the Light profane.

Plus, she had a valid point opposing Fel and Void after everything they’ve done and are doing.

2 Likes

From what we’ve seen, each cosmic power does the same thing with subtle differences. When the void controls someone, it’s by driving them mad until they obey the whispers, confident in what the whispers tell them. When Death controls someone, it’s domination of the soul, granting full control.

Assuming the, ‘Lightbound,’ are in fact being controlled and not just Mag’har propaganda (“No true Orc would ever serve the Light, they must be mind controlled!”), and that the knowledge from that same scenario informs us the lightbound were largely willing followers of the Draenei (Grom’s son joined them willingly), that opens up a lot of speculation as to the nature of how the Light influences mortals.

Going into speculation here, but the Light’s version of this effect is doubtlessly more subtle. People want to be controlled by the Light. No doubt it feels good to be part of something greater than one’s self. However, most methods of control have their weaknesses, ways to resist them. The Forsaken broke free of the Lich King’s control and maintained their freedom through willpower. Locus-Walker found a method by which to resist the void’s form of control and retain himself.

Given the light’s nature (again, I’m speculating here), it seems probable that it’s control is a lot like hypnotism. In other words, to a degree, it has to be voluntary. Actual real life hypnotism techniques do exist, but you couldn’t use it to force someone to do something they do not want to do. In other words, no matter what influence Xe’ra had Turalyon under, he would NOT want to see his wife killed. So, if Xe’ra had pressed that point, it very likely would’ve meant Turalyon breaking free, which, depending on the Draenei and their loyalty to him, meant that the rest might have broken free as well. Faith in Xe’ra might’ve been shaken, and then her Army of the Light falls apart.

There was meaning behind the loss of the eye glow for Turalyon. The cinematic team do NOT add details like that, and draw player attention to them, for no reason. Turalyon wasn’t shown to have become a weaker Paladin afterwards or anything. So, that signified something and given the minute difference in behavior observed afterwards, the most likely indication is freedom from some sort of influence.

2 Likes

We have forced conversions in real-life that don’t involve supernatural power. I think Yrel’s group could’ve done any forced conversions the same way (eg; a simple “join us or be killed.”).

As for the term “Lightbound”, Geya’rah said, quote “We dub these traitors Lightbound”, when discussing Mag’har who’d joined Yrel’s group. Maybe it was for all of them, or maybe the devs used that name for all of them either for convenience or by mistake.

That speculation, while well-organized, is just speculation. Beware of it being called canon. Plus, people have turned away from following the Light without a major event, and we don’t have evidence that all six cosmic powers inherently control.

Turalyon’s eye glow was just the literal reflection of the illumination emanating from Xe’ra in that scene, like a glass of water reflecting sunlight.

The first thing Turalyon did after the glow faded was try to avenge Xe’ra and call Illidan betrayer (based), and she couldn’t have controlled him when dead. Plus the other Lightforged Draenei did nothing.

While you’re not one of them thankfully, too many people treat their speculation as canon.

1 Like

You are right the girl I’m thinking of is his daughter who started her required military service as the new Princess.

But her grandmother is still referred to as Queen even though her reign has ended.