Inn AFKers, "Q-dodgers"

So in serverless architecture you simply scale out and out and out to just meet any and all demand. a robust architecture should never go down because the resources it can leverage by adding new servers into a ‘autoscaling’ resource pool are infinite. There are no bottlenecks because it just infinitely scales up when needed. That is the power of cloud computing and serverless.

1 Like

Ever stop to think the queues wouldn’t be as terrible if people were rotating in and out more often?

The people who refuse to log out are creating the problem they are trying to avoid.

Why remove them if they’re not breaking the ToS?

I get that you’re more important than them, but they can play as long as they want.

Anyone with a “gaming” or “macro-keys” keyboard from Corsair, Logitech, Razer, etc can do this though and just set a timed repeating macro to run on a key press of said macro key. How is Blizzard supposed to catch that software when it also controls said keyboard lighting? Like it or not, it’s the only thing a lot of people feel they have to do in these queue times.

That is the power of pushing a button and having a new service created and installed some indeterminate amount of time later and then your spell fires.

Like seriously… your distributed services paradigm doesn’t work in an MMO.

Yeah and what am I gonna learn?

Alieona really is the one that figured it out and Blizz didn’t? This is so mind numbing to me that it hurts.

How are you even able to assume such a thing from a position of total ignorance?

How is it petty to point out a flaw in a product you paid for? I get the subscription doesn’t grant you access anytime, but when a product is paid for the customer feels some entitlement to criticize it if it’s not working as intended. That’s not petty, that keeps companies from constantly doing a bad job.

Based on your theory Yelp, Metactitic and other review sites are “petty”. No, they are simply an outlet for the customer to let people know how the company is doing. In this case they GROSSLY underestimated the number of servers needed and the servers they allowed people to sign up on to reserve names had zero chances to work well.

1 Like

Actually no, you automate that. So when your pool of resources reaches say 60% capacity or some other appropriate health checkl you can tell it to automate spin up of new resources which takes minutes - there is no manual management required. That is AWS+DevOps competancies

4 Likes

I’m curious to know where they draw the line with this. Simulated mouse/keyboard input is detectable. If they wanted to, they could detect and ban everyone who used it, but there are legitimate applications (like multiboxing and voice recognition programs), so it would probably be a bit of a manual process for them to separate the acceptable from the unacceptable.

AWS isn’t built for MMOs.

Then why are blizzards games hosted in AWS datacentres?

4 Likes

Batteries I guess.

My god. Youre hopeless.

Blizz could handle 10M active players in 2010 but Classic WoW today is just too much, they did their best! Blizzard broke tech and reversed moore’s law, and every wow server is actually just a statically provisioned blade again

God damn man. Youre actually just not even informed enough to be discussing stuff like this at any level. This is where smart people usually stop, listen, and learn instead of going BLAH BLAH BLAH BLIZZ IS PERF

5 Likes

how about they allow transfers or do something other than “heres a new server. Leave your friends and guild and move”

Moore’s law is about transistor growth. That’s a completely irrelevant statement.

Edit: Any other totally irrelevant things to add?

These people should be tried and quartered.

I just use remote desktop every 30 minutes or so and talk in general. It’s like I’m walking up to my PC pressing buttons then continuing working

They should be ignored like the talking heads that they are…

…but I’m not doing that.

:frowning:

Eye roll, how pedantic. Its like you read the first line of a wikipedia article and never stopped to understand the effect it has on computational power. Plus you took the joke part and latched onto it to “own” me cause youre in way over your head

Lol @ all the techies in this thread. Especially the “infinite bucket of resources” guy. AWS and azure application services have about zero to do with the technical limitations involved in managing 60k active connections.

1 Like