Increasing M+ group size to 6 is a 33% increase in dps per group

But they would never do that without boosting the health of the mobs and bosses by 33%, so what’s the actual gain?

I was expecting this to become a thing for the War Within. But Blizzard confirmed they have no plans on adding any more support specs. Which is just so strange. One of the primary reason Aug has been so problematic is because it is the lone support spec.

Easier to find groups as DPS, in theory. As there would be one more slot open in each group.

1 Like

Dps players think this would make it easier to get into groups. But the reality is another spot in the group for dps would just be filled with an additional meta spec.

That’s why it would have to be a support specific role that requires a 6th spot. Giving dps players back a spot Aug is currently taking.

2 Likes

OP, I fully agree with you but good luck convincing anyone here that change is a good thing. It could be an update that would immediately put $1 million in their account and there would be pushback against it.

1 Like

EverQuest has always had a 6 person group size.

However, in that game the trinity is tank, heal, and crowd control. The remaining 3 spots are generally filled with DPS.

That being said, the raids back in the day had upwards of 12 groups making for 72 cats to herd.

1 Like

33%? You’re saying one person of six would make up 33% of the DPS? Those numbers don’t make very much sense.

Either way, Delves are probably going to solve this issue to some extent, as long as they’re successful and fun and repeatable.

Flex dungeons could also be an interesting avenue for Blizzard to go down. But, again, it kind of feels like they’re looking at Flex Dungeons within Delves, so, who knows, really.

Dungeons would have to be drastically overhauled to make it feasible for 6-player dungeons. Imagine how chaotic Yazma would be with just one more player. Would she throw out more Wracking Pains? Would there be an additional totem added to Volkaal? Gnarlroot and his root traps, adding an additional root for the additional body. Deios and the sand puddles in the final phase. And so on.

The difficulty, too, would be in the event that we run Mythic plus versions of current normal/heroic dungeons the M+ counterparts would be pretty different from their non-M+ counterpart. This would make for a jarring experience and provide an even greater learning curve.

1 Like

I do all the time!

2 Likes

More spots would be available to dps and it would be easier for them to find groups.

Would also result in more deaths and more wipes as you’d have to compensate and buff and tune dungeons accordingly which would NOT result in increased defensives or survivability (as thats what the extra dps is for).

Bad idea overall

I think it’s an empathetic and overall kind thing to think about and propose. However, I feel that this suggestion is akin to traffic management thoughts of “just add extra lanes to a highway” to reduce traffic congestion. I think fundamentally changing how people interact with the content is a more sustainable solution. Because ultimately, adding one more dps slot won’t bring in all 50+ dps applicants to the keys I’ve listed.

Wow Made Easy offers an amazing resource for folks to connect with others regarding raiding and M+. I’ve only recently started using it but the groups I’ve had have been fantastic and everyone is communicative and generally fun players.

I dig the thought process, and I don’t want to sound contrarian, but I believe there are other ways to manage a resolution here.

That depends entirely on the 4th dps, but i get the idea.

Yes and that extra meta spec dps will not be in the next group etc. You can’t argue that it doesn’t make more dps spots per tank/healer.

No, dps players.
5 man: 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps
6 man: 1 tank, 1 healer, 4 dps

4/3 = 1.333 repeating of course.

1 Like

This is a fair point. Maybe some tanks/healers would switch to dps because they enjoy it more but the wait time were too long. However I would argue that having player be able to play the role they enjoy more is a valid reason for this change.

Nope. I just make my own ones. Unless I’m doing something else in the meanwhile, after all why just sit still and do nothing whilst looking for a group?

If I can’t form or join a group and get bored, I just go and do something else for a bit and then try again later. Rarely happens but no, sitting still doing nothing for hours on end seems very silly.

… “convince Blizzard” to up-end 20 years worth of code, balancing, and game design … because you can’t get into groups for hours on end?

You do realize just how exceedingly silly you sound… right?

M+ isn’t a raid. If you wanna raid just go and raid.

Now you aren’t even talking about M+. If you don’t want to do M+, you don’t have to advocate for nonsensical changes to things you don’t even want to participate in.

Obviously they wouldn’t. If it takes you hours on end to join or form a group that’s a personal problem. Precisely nothing about this is the fault of the game but is clearly something you are doing wrong.

What, are you trying to join a +25 with a newly maxxed alt or something?

1 Like

Keeping 5 man M+ and adding 6 man into the pool would be good. More options and change is always good.

But the casual player who doesn’t even do M+ seriously will strongly oppose this. Always the case with the forums.

2 Likes

I understand, I just don’t think wait times are the issue. They’re the symptom. The issue is that folks aren’t trying to network or friend other players, or join M+ communities, and thus they will always be at the mercy of waiting - even tanks and heals, and not knowing what kind of player they’ll be getting.

Seriously, (as I’m sure you’ve experienced in your game time in WoW and other MMOs) life in the PVE instance world is so much easier when you have a community of largely “known-quantities” from which to pull into your group that the size of the dungeon isn’t generally an issue. You rotate specs/roles and can more easily set things up in advance.

You want to run keys tomorrow night? If you have an in-game community or discord server dedicated to that, you post a request there and you’re going to get some replies that will help mitigate the wait.

ETA: the other difficulty - in my opinion - with using wait times as an issue is it’s subjective. Is 10 minutes to wait for a dungeon to fill-up, or to get an invite problematic? 20 minutes? Wait times as an issue just seem hard to nail down.

1 Like

I would just delete aug and keep the 5 person size.

2 Likes

Hence Aug will always be meta until this happens so anyone looking for a free carry will just play one.

Aug needs to be nerf instead of giving a % or armor and healing and DPS boost it should be a flat a number say 500 armor 100 not or 100 attack power and have half of their utilities remove.