In game mail options to reduce harassment

Hey guys, I am here on behalf of a friend to try and get blizz to add some sort of in game mail filter, mostly one to specify that you can only get mail from AH, friends, or guild mates.

She has been dealing this this slimeball who is paying for an alt account and using it specifically to create level 1 toons just so he can send her in game letters to harass her. He has called her every sexist name under the sun as well as telling her he hopes she stops breathing, to kill herself, etc and taunts her saying theres nothing her friends can do to stop it.

This has been going on for WELL over a year now and all blizz ever tells my friend is to report it and ignore. Well I have news for you blizzard that doesn’t work very well on in game mail when they can just take 10 seconds to log onto a new toon and continue.

There HAS to be something done about this as i know she is not the only one that suffers from hateful people like this, and the fact that blizzard has let this go on for over a year now with no action is completely unacceptable to us as a guild and family in game. We want to help solve this problem for our friend and for anyone else that ever has this problem. You can already block whispers from an account as a whole, Just… PLEASE add a filter to in game mail.

I know you can do it. Right now it seems to me you’d rather side with those that wish to do harm and stuff your pockets rather than help those who are genuinely trying to enjoy the game. PLAYERS I ask you please, if you care about your friends or family that play this game, up-vote this so that they have to take notice. Save your friends and family from turmoil like our friend has been through. This behavior needs to be addressed because right now, blizzard is supporting the bullies around the world. Thanks in advance for the support, and if this is happening to you too, stay strong we can beat it.

33 Likes

Could she not delete the messages?

9 Likes

She can and does then blocks the toon. Then the person gets on another toon and blasts her again.

3 Likes

Make her reply

“I’m sorry for the fact that you’ll never have a girl to love you with the way you treat them, maybe if you were to stop browsing r/MGTOW, you’ll realize what you’re doing wrong”

8 Likes

Blizzard really need to add an “Ignore Battle.net Account” feature

That way you can ignore someone no matter what character they play

The best advice I can give is open a ticket. Maybe they can do something to specifically prevent his account from contacting hers :man_shrugging:

Sucks that the ignore feature, while useful, is so limited

42 Likes

The report option for in game mail should work the same as whispers, in my opinion. When you report a player’s whisper, it puts their whole account on ignore. Why would in game mail not do the same thing? Reporting an in game mail should put the whole account on ignore as well, but it doesn’t, and allows this type of harrassment to run rampant.

As a guild, we are furious at the lack of options we are given to help our guildie. We are given no tools to figure out who this person is in our guild so we can remove them. As officers, we feel responsible for ensuring our guildies feel safe and welcome. In cases like this, we are powerless to ensure that. I understand, for privacy, blizzard not giving our guild leader the name of the person’s toon in guild, but they could force remove the toon I’m sure so the person is not able to see every time our guildie logs on to do something with our guild and spam her with hate mail.

We have figured out they are using multiple accounts to do this, but if she was given a way to block each account simply by reporting one toon’s in game mail, there would be a light at the end of the tunnel for her. Eventually the person would stop paying for new accounts, but as of now all they have to do is delete the level 1 toon they’re using, make a new one, and continue assaulting her.

The mail she gets is truly vile, and 100% have to be against terms of service to be sending another player. If swearing in trade chat gets you muted or temporarily banned, how does calling someone the C-word and telling them to kill themselves through in game mail not garner the some kind of action? How is it possible for a player, who pays money to play this game, to be forced to deal with a constant barrage of stalking and harrassment with no way to make it stop?

Before bringing this to the forums, we have all sat back and given blizzard the chance to address this privately. Unfortunately, a year has passed since this started and multiple contacts with blizzard have yielded no solutions, so here we are. She has tried your avenues, she has reported hundreds of messages, she has blocked more toons than she can count, she has put in tickets, she has even paid money for character name changes. Enough is enough.

An option to block a persons whole account when reporting or blocking one toon through in game mail is desperately needed to stop this type of rampant stalking and harrassment. It works that way for whispers, why would in game mail not work the same way? Please fix this issue, so all of your players can enjoy the game, even the ones who are only paying for one account.

14 Likes

Is it possible that she could contact Blizzard HQ directly (not via the game)? That way they’re forced to see her as a person and not just $15/mo (and maybe push them into doing something).

4 Likes

I have said this as well. Its an easy fix to be honest

1 Like

Eeesh…you think after this many years Blizzard would handle things better.

9 Likes

I wish but im doubtful wed be able to reach anyone like that. I know they monitor the forums pretty regularly so im hoping if we come together as a community they will recognize this is an issue and move to do something about it. however if this does not reach any ears at blizz ill do my best to find an email i can contact about it.

It is sad to say, but at this point, the message they are sending is that someone paying for multiple accounts to harass someone means more to them than someone who is paying for one account and just wants to enjoy the game. How else have they made no effort to remove this person’s ability to spam hate mail to other players? Either their pocket book means more to them or they simply do not care about what happens in game unless it is openly done in trade chat. If someone swears or uses a slur in trade chat that person is swiftly dealt with, but they can say the same stuff hundreds of times to players through the mail system and nothing be done? Unacceptable.

2 Likes

She can’t make a new toon herself?

1 Like

She has name changed the toon and played other toons to see if it stops. The person has a toon in our guild, so eventually they figure out who she is, switch to their alts and continue the harrassment. Its also her main toon, so hard to tell her she has to stop playing her main toon because blizzard cant deal with this person. We arent even able to be told who this person is in our guild so we can remove the toons that are in guild, blizzard wont give our guild leader the names or even force remove them for us. So we are left with little recourse to zero in on who this is and get rid of them so they cant see what toon she is on and continue it. As soon as a new toon shows up in the roster as being at raid, they figure out it’s her and spam her.

Ah I see. Very unfortunate, but no guild is worth harassment. I’d /gquit so fast, but I understand everybody is different, sucks that the mail system is so archaic, best of luck figuring this whole ordeal out.

1 Like

I moved all my Main characters to Horde because of this back in 2009. (And I paid for name changes for the Alts I left Alliance.) It ended the harassment that had been happening for two years. But it was an expensive option.

I hope Blizzard will help your friend. In Australia this type of harassment is considered a criminal offense.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She has been a part of our guild for a very long time and does not want to leave as this is what this person wants, they have told her that. Giving in would only embolden them. Blizzard has the tools to stop this, I just wish they would utilize them to do so.

2 Likes

Yes it is unfortunate that someone would be forced to PAY to get away from another player when blizzard should be more proactive in preventing that type of drastic measure to be a necessity. Simply allowing someone to block an entire account’s worth of toons with one option through in game mail, similar to how whispers work, would go a long way in lessening these types of issues.

2 Likes

Multi boxing has been un-checked since forever.

So i believe it.

3 Likes

im sorry you had to go through that and pay your hard earned money to make it stop. Its a sad reality that at this point and time its what alot of people have to do to escape things like this

3 Likes

I mean, what are you expecting them to do? Ban everyone who tries to talk to her? Add a button at acc that asks if youre going to use this acc to harass someone and you have to pinky swear you wont? Audit every message sent in every chat just in case its harassment? I am in no way saying this behavior is even remotely acceptable but, blizz isnt some omniscient god that can read everyones minds and see every keystroke. Reporting these players every time they do this is the best way to get their attention.

1 Like