In defense of blizzard on sockets

I’m not sure you understand PVP scaling. Sockets increase your ilvl, a massive amount, thus, potentially reduce the dmg you do to the opponent and increase the dmg you take from them. This is an ilvl penalty and a result of PVP scaling in BFA. Please google PVP scaling, it might help clarify this for you.

Yes… those stupid kids! Not reading patch notes from 3 expansions ago to know how your spells work today! Serves them right.

I am going to be honest I have made some pretty bad threads… who doesn’t…but this thread is special.

4 Likes

Oh I agree, I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread and don’t really wish to argue with the OP any further. He’s jumping to conclusions and frankly, flat out wrong.

I’m not sure you understood the blue post you’re talking about. If everything in PvP scaling acted like gems, then higher geared players would BE WORSE OFF than lower geared players. That’s not how PvP scaling was ever supposed to work. According to Blizzard’s stated intent about scaling, the gem situation is a bug and is indefensible.

1 Like

I don’t know what is your reasoning behind defending blizzard but in the first place I don’t see any reason that I should need to read and remember every post to play the game. All information about the game should be in the game.

Also for whatever reason, I don’t see why a player should be punished for getting better gear. Can you even imagine if tomorrow blizzard says they are going to make a mythic+ scaling system where low ilvl players without sockets deal more actual damage compared to 480 bis player? No right? If this happens who community will be raging.

But this is essentially what they have done to PvP. They don’t care because pvp player base is too small.

Announcing it is not equal to the right to do it. If I tell you I will poop in your house tomorrow and when you come back home and see some sh1t on your floor, you still get mad even I say I told you yesterday right?

1 Like

it’s indefensible

3 Likes

Yes, higher ilvl players are getting their dmg nerfed vs lower ilvl players. This is what PVPers asked for, they didnt want mythic geared players having an advantange.

15 Likes

Yes, changes were made to try to fix low item level people exploiting gem sockets and there were unintended consequences. But, none of this would be necessary if they just used a simpler system.

Also, the whole tone of your post is ridiculous. You should be able to progress your gear to get stronger (within reason). It is absolutely stupid to think that progressing your gear should make you weaker. Dumb post.

1 Like

Ah, so there are pvp’ers who want gear to matter. That is awesome. Hopefully we’ll get rid of PVP scaling and get back to real WoW. BTW, the core of PVP scaling was created so geared players didn’t have an advantage. And yes, potentially geared players have a disadvantage pending the ilvl of their opponents

Even if everyone had the same exact item level, gear is going to matter. Someone might have better stats for their spec.

It’s an MMO, there should be gear progression. It just needs to be reasonable and achievable for people to get BIS in pvp (or near BIS) doing the content they want to do.

It’s not rocket science. They had good systems (or, at least, better) in the past. All this unnecessary complexity isn’t doing anyone any favors. Keep it simple.

1 Like

I agree, gear level should improve your character. I did like rextoy’s idea of simply capping the ilvl of max players vs. max players. So we could still farm our stats that we wanted, trinkets etc.

No we didn’t. We consistently ask for wod pvp gearing back. Literally no one asked for this convoluted system.

6 Likes

Blizzards fix to sockets adding too much power in pvp last year was in a response to people using old expansion items with 3 sockets in it to get an advantage. I read all the hotfixes and thought up to recently that socketing current gear still gave a pvp advantage. Now I’m not sure if I’ve nerfed myself or not.

I just want to know what my stats do Blizzard. Remove hidden scaling.

When the New York Yankees win the World Series, MLB doesn’t let them use Aluminum bats to get an advantage over opponents as a reward for success.

For competitive pvp, gear shouldn’t give you an advantage. Random BGS, world pvp sure. Those are open world instances where your time and effort should be rewarded. BUT. . . for arenas everything should be equal so that the outcome is based on skill.

You can still reward people for success in arenas (titles, Xmog, etc). I fail to see any reasonable argument (other than “thats just how RPGs are” which isn’t an argument at all because tradition doesn’t justify when something is incorrect) that supports why someone that sits in a Nylotha raid should get a huge competitive advantage over someone that does arenas all day long.

2 Likes

Totally disagree. Part of the skill involved in an MMO is researching gear and having meaningful choices as to what gear you grind or want to equip.

If everything was identical, then blizzard would be choosing stats for us, which may or may not be the best stat choices for our spec, which was a problem we had in legion with stat templates.

Who the hell asked for scaling?

2 Likes

There was scaling in WoD. It’s just that everyone was scaled according to their item level only and everyone had a path to BIS gear via pvp.

The scaling in the current system depends on your item level and the item level of the person you are fighting. It is overly complicated, unnecessary and dumb.

1 Like

the scaling was only on the gear and that was fine because it was super easy to see and understand. it was also heavily talked about and communicated to us by the devs. it made pvp gear bis for pvp and pve gear bis for pve 99.99% of the time

the current system is hidden and they almost never even talk about it

5 Likes