Immobility is part of Paladin class fantasy

I see people asking for charges and gap closers but Paladin fantasy is being a stalwart holy defender of those being treated. We stand our ground… I’d much rather blizzard give us more benefits from fighting in concentration instead of giving us holy grip or holy charge.

Giving every class mobility isn’t the solution

We need more tools to make standing in our house more powerful… example in Elder Scrolls Online the templar class has an ability where they can hallow out the ground reducing the damage they take while also making them interrupt able…we need more tools like this and I definitely feel like we need Exorcism and generally more ranged ability like longer judgment and hammer of wrath baseline

4 Likes

Oh and how do you suppose paladins actually attack anything by just standing there.

25 Likes

WoW has been something of an arms race for a while. The problem is the toolkit doesn’t reflect this fantasy. If we get into combat with someone it should be extremely difficult for them to get away.

16 Likes

The immobile fighter flavor belongs to death knights, not us.

18 Likes

You have to wait for that occasional monk rolling by.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be as bad if we had some mid range capability, but there isn’t that much ret can do that’s impactful at range. Worse yet, tossing out some fols, which should be a useful thing to do when out of range, can just leave you out of range even more and in a worse position.
I don’t mind the slow juggernaut, but it’s comically easy to kite and control a ret so it ends up mildly useless.

9 Likes

We are not supposed to be the slow juggernaut that is dk’s. Paladins should have a gap closer and we should also get Long arm of the law and emancipate back as well.

15 Likes

People are always referring to this fantasy of Immoble “tanks”, and I just don’t get why. I hear this a lot in the DK forums and Paladin forums. I don’t personally want that, I want to be able to actually hit people in PvP… What good is more stationary damage when people will just kite you? :frowning:

I mean at least on my DK I have mitigation and tools to deal with ranged classes, or people kiting. On my pally, I just feel hopeless sometimes.

13 Likes

I mean, ret used to be one of the few trees in the game that had a speed increase, and crusader aura increased mount speed. I don’t think slow and steady is the paladin theme.

15 Likes

The mount speed didn’t work in combat.

The solution is to give us more stick, not giving us a charge or holy grip… notice death knights get a stun and can spam ice chains… Paladins should get more slows and a root…similar to how monks can double"hamstring" for a root.

It should be tied to an ability like judgment or simply crusader strike.

3 Likes

I think what you mean to say is it’s OTHER classes’ ‘fantasy’ about how THEY think Paladins should act because it’s EASIER for THEM when Paladins essentially have their foot nailed to the floor while everyone can run circles around them.

10 Likes

You can watch multiple class fantasy ideas for Paladin… it literally took years for us to get divine steed.

Mobility isn’t apart of our class fantasy so we shouldn’t be asking for more of it but instead asking for more stick.

1 Like

In this new world of move move move, go go go for everything I wholeheartedly disagree with you. You have to be able to move quickly through Visions, you are expected to move quickly through trash pulls in dungeons and raids. There are plenty of mobs that require kiting. In Shadow Lands Torghast will likely be the same.

An immovable class fantasy does not jive with that. Prior to Divine Steed we had much better mobility options, regardless of content being done. When every single melee save DK’s got some kind of mobility boost, leaving both classes behind makes no sense.

Blizzard’s class fantasy also does not have to perfectly align with the Wizards of the Coast D and D fantasy either.

9 Likes

You say that as is Divine Steed isnt the worst movement speed ability in the game. You need freedom and Divine steed to do something every other xlass can do with their own sprint. Supressing roots and snares.

And as if we didnt have high mobility since Cataclysm in 2010. For 10years we’ve had burst of speed mobility, unique, not overpowered and it was good and efficient.

A bane of evils and demons, instoppable justice should be able to punish its enemies as they are trying to get away.

Also we need templar’s verdict and crusader strike to have 10yards range if we’re going to keep this joke of mobility so we’re designed into a higher melee range but not further than 12, except judgement and hammer of wrath.

13 Likes

Discipline priest and warlocks are a known immobile class as well and it’s fine cause they’re ranged. Immobile melee can work if they were given more benefits… us being immobile should feel threatening to mobile melee classes but it doesn’t.

they will never work because an IMMOBILE RANGED will always be able to cast spells on their enemies because they use RANGED SPELLS.

An immobile melee will never work in wow because you need to be in MELEE RANGE of your target to use any attack. Meaning if you arent in MELEE RANGE you will do 0 attacks, hense, 0 damage.

7 Likes

Death knights been immobile melee for years… the difference is where Paladin damage is upfront…DK damage is in DoTS and they only need to touch you for a moment to secure the damage, they also got death grip and can spam snares

they have more mobility than ret due to Death Advance. Passive can’t be slowed below 70% movement speed and when used, with a 40sec cd, they can’t be slowed below 100% movement speed and they gain 30% movement speed for 6 or 8sec.

But yes I always wanted rets to have a dot or have dots.

5 Likes

Well with expurgation if your BoJ crits you get a six second dot. I know its junk but its what we got. Blizz will not give us dots. Besides with warlocks, dks, assassination rogue , and Shadowpriest, I do not think we should have dots. It doesn’t fit the theme of paladins at least how I see it. We should do all of our damage directly. I am not sure how dots would work for paladins.

Lets take things a little scientific shall we. What would happen if the light of the sun would pass through a mega imaginative massive magnifying glass directly on top of your hand? Your hand would burn and hurt. Would that be instaneous or overtime?

Clearly leave a burning sensation overtime.
So using the light it would make more sense to have dots than upfront damage.

1 Like