Imagine your progress being deleted

i simply don’t get it

how can a thread like this not have popcorn?

Blizzard likes profit. Therefore they will provide options for everyone: museum, transition and possibly fresh.

The two are not mutually exclusive, bud. They can have both. lol

2 Likes

Different people like different things. Sorry I’m not part of your hive mind.

Many of the replies are exactly what I mentioned in the op. People showing up out of the woodwork to either troll or force their will upon classic fans.

I am more than happy for people who want to play other expansions. Many who replied are of the “I don’t like your game so you shouldn’t be allowed to play it” mindset.

Then you get the people who throw out terms like “entitled”. Not at all. Just a plea for a museum.

Also, this is not a “15 year old argument”. Classic WoW has been out for like 1 1/2 years. When it was first revealed at blizzcon, it was not called “classic progression wow”. This is not retail, it’s a special project. Obviously a lot of people want tbc. And they can have it. It was one of my least favorite expansions.

If a smaller group of players are happy to play classic, how does this impact you on a tbc, wotlk, cata, etc server? THOSE GUYS OVER THERE ARE HAVING FUN AND I DON’T LIKE IT!!!

3 Likes

Not deleted identity, just time. If I knew 100% that my characters would be made obsolete and forced into an xpac I disliked, or deleted all together with a server reset, I would have just spent that time in retail or other games.

Literally no time is being deleted.

You made up in your mind that this was going to be like a private server that stays locked forever and that was never the case.

sounds good

Prepare to eat your words when permanent Classic realms are offered. lol

1 Like

What you are asking for is the option to keep your characters on “forever Classic” servers correct?

First off, the people who are being the harshest are Retail trolls. The vast majority of their interactions are on the Retail forums. Who knows why they why are responding to you here, but they will never get it.

Then there are others who say that the point of an MMORPG is all characters get progressed with expansions which is true, and they have a point. I guess the question is, is Classic just here so we can restart the entire cycle again, including things like “WoD Classic” and even “Shadowlands Classic” if WoW still even exists in 15 years? Where our characters will forever progress? The very same people say on these forums all the time that they only want “Vanilla, TBC, and WoTLK” but yet they are saying right here that they want their characters to continually progress which means the rest of it too.

A lot of it is just their own excitement for TBC honestly. You see it with other topics.

The idea of keeping a character at 60 in a Vanilla world has been discussed a lot on these forums, typically without as much criticism. It might have been the way you worded the OP. Blizzard will do what they want. I’m hoping it’s not just forced progression or a fresh start. IMO choice is good and criticizing another simply because they’d rather not progress their character where it goes to an expansion they don’t like (TBC in this case) is pretty close-minded. It’s also hypocritical if you don’t want your characters going to Cata.

1 Like

Blizzcon 2021

Continue playing my current Classic character on my existing server as it progresses to the Burning Crusade expansion, with the option to transfer to a Classic server that will never progress past level 60.

Whats not to like about this option???.. if you want to keep your character on 60 forever you can with others that want the same while offering a way for TBC to progress with those that want to. This is the Best option and it can be replicated for TBC progressing to wrath.

I personally dont want to play wrath and when that happens i will take the opt out option.

1 Like

If you’re asking me I’ve always said I just like choices. so the choice of progressing your character to TBC or leaving it on a “Classic Vanilla” server is a good one. Not having a choice is not so good. I think there should be a choice to progress a character to TBC.

If there is no choice then is Classic actually “special” or is it just a restart of the entire cycle?

You are confusing WoW (modern) with Classic WoW. The theme park design did not begin with vanilla. That came much later when MMORPG developers attempted to shift the target audience of the next generation, and to shift resource dependencies in a way that would allow big companies to focus on other emerging genres. Your welcome for that lesson.

I can’t see Blizzard being foolish & short-sighted enough to offer only one TBC Classic solution to fit all, but hey this is Activision-Blizzard we are talking about.

The reason I advocate for progressive servers that give option to transfers downward is because it is the easiest way to consolidate all the players together that want to play the same version. If you do it the other way around where players transfer out to the new expansion and per say your a person that does not you can very well find your self from a very active server to a ghost town from people leaving and that will severely hamper you from doing content.

Transfers downward funnels the players together that don’t want to play the next version and that is a great way to provide value to players to be on active servers from being consolidated.

2 Likes

Interesting how modern WoW fans sabotaging our goodly Classic WoW forums with their demand for forced progress have found it convenient to pretend Classic WoW vanilla content was never meant to be static, even cherry picking quotes from Ion while excluding pertinent details. You quoted, “It’s the origin of World of Warcraft’s story, and some of us said internally joking “it belongs to a museum”,” but failed to include the most important part that is pertinent to whether Classic WoW vanilla was made to be force progressed to new TBC content, and that was the next sentence, “We wanted to create that thing, we wanted to memorialize and immortalize it, and we can’t accomplish that by changing it.” That last sentence is the crux of it. They can’t memorialize and immortalize it by changing it. It looks like all you modern WoW forum bombers lost the argument. Time to return to Shadowlands. Bye.

THE FULL QUOTE:
Ion Hazzikostas : We look at things and think “we could do that so much better now,” but at some point it’s dangerous to start substituting our modern judgments for how things were back then because we’re changing the experience and our mission really is to recreate something that has been lost to the sands of time. Otherwise, it’s a piece of gaming history. It’s the origin of World of Warcraft’s story, and some of us said internally joking “it belongs to a museum.” We wanted to create that thing, we wanted to memorialize and immortalize it, and we can’t accomplish that by changing it."

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291757/xdlate-wow-classic-interview-with-ion-hazzikostas-and-calie-schie

3 Likes

wow “classic” is p1-p6…its not eternal p6 with 90% of the population gone because there is nothing else to do in the game.

Again…there is a reason WHY all the private servers in p6 end up dead and they relauch a fresh p1.

1 Like

Yea and Facebook tells me the election isn’t over and to be prepared for that too.

Yall both sound ridiculous

As a player that played vanilla wow starting in feb of 2005 till wrath I can say there is a demand for eternal servers. The jist is grouping those whom want eternal together and there is a demand for it.

We need the Option for a eternal server as if you progress everything you will eventually lose classic, Tbc, Wrath and so on.

There is enough fan base for all three. And also not everyone wants to keep restarting their characters. If you want to restart from scratch every two years you do that on a seasonal server but leave those whom don’t want to alone on an eternal Classic or TBC or Wrath server…

No, I’m pretty sure Facebook explicitly bans anyone saying the election isn’t over.

1 Like