Imagine No DMG Meters

What would the state of the game be like if damage/healing meters weren’t a thing. Do you think people would stress less and enjoy it more? How long do you think it would take to complete a world first?

What are your thoughts in general of this?

6 Likes

Players would use out of game statistics like raider. io and warcraft logs more to determine if people were doing good dps. It should not be removed.

13 Likes

not a game I would want to play.

“hey, why didn’t this boss die”
“well we hit enrage”
“what can we do to fix it?”
“durrrr… idk”
“who isn’t pulling their weight”
“durrr…idk”
“did we lose people due to lack of healing or because they stood in something bad”
“durrrr…idk”

83 Likes

The only way no damage meters works is if the game doesn’t have anything that depends on your damage.

No enrage mechanics soft or hard.

8 Likes

I saw my trade chat talking about this last night and they were saying it would make the game better… makes no sense lol

4 Likes

never underestimate the abject stupidity of trade chat :rofl:

19 Likes

every boss fight would have to have a no time limit, no rage… going to have 5 min boss fights.

1 Like

it works if everything is normal difficulty.

part of the challenge of the higher tiers is doing your correct rotations while also doing mechanics.

You have no way to know if you’re doing your rotation right or not if you don’t have a meter.

2 Likes

If you played in vanilla, you don’t have to imagine. Now imagine falling at content because you DPS was horrible but you couldn’t tell who’s fault it was. DPS meters are fine, they are a tool and when used correctly a valuable one. But just like any other tool, some one will misuse it.

15 Likes

I love FFXIV but HATE the fact using damage meters can get you banned. I know you CAN use them but after the latest live letter it’s been made clear that if you’re caught even if you’ve not said a word to anyone you can still be banned. Ridiculous.

I love damage meters. I just enjoy watching them and seeing how a good dps operates and use it to improve my own performance.

4 Likes

I never knew that was a legit thing with FF

exactly.

When my dad was a kid, his brother threw a lawn dart at him and stabbed him in the leg. that doesn’t make lawn darts bad.

… wait, maybe a bad analogy

6 Likes

i think it would be a good thing to make people nicer/more cooperative but since blizzard seems to want this game to be competitive it won’t likely ever happen.

1 Like

You’re a sweetheart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. Any addon can get you banned. That’s the one thing I really dislike about it.

I remember lawn darts when I was a kid, those things were dangerous but fun :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s very important to be able to tell who is making mistakes.

Addons like dmg meters and whatnot will help players figure out who needs help and advice, and more importantly who needs a boot up their butt.

WhoLusted? was the best Addon for Jaina. I think I’ve kicked more players on that boss than any other boss I’ve ever played

2 Likes

There would be less spam from the epeen strokers for sure but probably not healthy for the game as a whole. I guess we have to just learn to ignore the epeen strokers.

The crack down shouldn’t be on using damage meters the crack down should be on people who abuse other players based on damage meters. The tool itself is an amazing self improvement tool if you use it correctly and not to swing around your own…ahem…self importance.

7 Likes

this is a huge issue in ffxiv, dps meters are against the TOS of the game and mentioning someone elses dps being to low for the instance is a ban-able offense, yet all the high end fights are just a scripted enrage timer…
They say its to prevent toxicity but i think its dumb… if you can get someone banned for interfering with your play style they should atleast have the right to kick you from their grp for interfering with theirs

3 Likes