I'm worried about Chromie time

Every xpac, there’s the rush of doing content and hard grinding at the start. But later on, various catchup mechanics are put into place, so it’s okay to slack off if you’re just having fun.

This xpac, I plan on taking advantage of having that safety net. I’m planning on completing the open-world content and trying out Torghast on my main.

Then I’m going to pull out the notepad of “stuff in Legacy xpacs I want to do.” (E.g., I have seven out of twelve class mounts from Legion, want to get the last five.)

One of the things I wanted to do is run alts through various xpacs in Chromie time. I had visions of completing entire xpacs (what hadn’t been pruned…) in Chromie time.

But reading the PTR forum (and understanding that it is subject to change between PTR and Live), I don’t think that is going to be possible.

Chromie time ends exactly at level 50. Doesn’t matter where in the grand storyline you are, you’re kicked out. I believe that you’re even teleported to the capital city.

Okay, so I’ll lock my XP at 49. Except the latest posts say you can’t use Chromie time when your XP is locked.

And based on comments, we have the usual leveling through xpac problem: only able to complete just over one zone before you level out of the xpac. But instead of it happening in “classic” Cata, TBC/WotLK, Cata/Mists, WoD/Legion, and then BfA, it happens only once.

I really want to experience as much of Legacy endgames as possible.

But I’m not hoping for it too much. Too much has already been pruned, and as soon as I reach a Legacy endgame, I’ll be kicked out?

16 Likes

Oh, that is a bunch of valid points, I hope that’s not the way it is, because I want to level through all the xpacs too individually, but since most of my toons will be on rested xp, I’ll hit 50 really quick, I hope this is not the way it turns out!

8 Likes

Oh my Yogg!!! Blizzard seriously?? Don’t let this go live like this and allow us to use Chromie Time with xp turned off. Going live as explained above will kill why I was looking forward to the changes for 10-50.

15 Likes

Note that this is PTR, and it could change in Live.

I’m HOPING they allow Chromie time to have XP turned off, AND will allow us to stay in Chromie time at level 50. I want to play through the endgame for the various xpacs. (Not that I’m sure what that is for some of them…)

What ARE the endgames? (Excluding group PvE instanced content. AKA, open-world content only.)

Post-Cata “Classic”: I don’t think this had any open-world grinding spots, just the various dungeons/raids.

The Burning Crusade: I’m pretty sure that was just the Isle of Quel’Danas (?).

Wrath of the Lich King: I don’t think this really had anything other than the daily quests at the Argent Tournament in Icecrown?

Cataclysm: I’m guessing Uldum was the endgame? (Looking at my achievements, I KNOW I played through Cata, but I mostly remember making a LOT of gold via mining and herbing.)

Mists of Pandaria: I’m guessing VoEB (sadly, after Garry’s destruction of it…) and the three Isles.

Warlords of Draenor: Tanaan Jungle. And more Tanaan Jungle. And MORE Tanaan Jungle.

Legion: Broken Shores and Argus?

Battle for Azeroth: Black Empire assaults, Horrific Visions, and Nazjatar/Mechagon?

You will still be able to experience all the legacy stories if you want to, even after you hit level 50. It’s just that Chromie Time will deactivate, and the zones won’t scale up to 50, with the exception of BFA content. You won’t ‘lose access’ to those zones or those stories, so you’ll still be able to explore them fully if you want to, just like you can right now.

What you’re asking for though, is not feasible. Every expansion, while they were current content, had zones that you could skip completely. For example in TBC the only zones you really -had- to go through were Hellfire Penninsula, Zangarmarsh and Terrokar Forest. Beyond that you could choose to go to Nagrand or Blade’s Edge Mountains, and then after that you could choose to go to Netherstorm or Shadowmoon Valley. But if you tried to do all the content, you hit max level before you completed everything.

It was the same with WotLK, with the only zone players were forced to do being Dragonblight. Beyond that it was personal choice as to where you wanted to go, and if you tried to do all the storylines in all the zones, you’d be max level long before you finished them. Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, they all had zones you could just choose not to do, yet they were part of the story none the less.

Also, think about what you’re asking in respect to the Cataclysm experience given by Chromie Time, which is basically leveling from 1 to 60 right now. That path of levelling through Chromie Time would be extremely long because of just how many zone storylines are there.

3 Likes

I don’t quite understand the issue here. Even you got kicked out of Chromie Time at level 50, you can still go back to that zone and finish the quests like today, just earning very little XP to help you level to 60.

2 Likes

I mean, if you hit level 50 and you still want to finish of whatever content you were doing, you can do that. Chromie time ending just means that you won’t be gaining XP for any future quests you do. The open world still exits, and your progress will still be there.

So, as an example, say you’re leveling through WotLK. You get to Icecrown and ding 50. Chromie time ends. That means, if you want to level to 60, you have to go to the Shadowlands and do current content. However, if you just want to finish questing in Icecrown, you can. Icecrown is there. Your quest progress is there. You just won’t get XP. You will sit there at level 50, because quests from Icecrown are old and won’t give you experience.

All Chromie Time does is scale low level quests and experience to allow you to level through the course of a single expansion. It doesn’t lock that content off from players in any way.

4 Likes

In Chromie time, it’s like leveling through Legion and BfA. The mobs scale with you (until you hit endgame, and suddenly they scale with your iLvl, but are overtuned towards dungeon gear).

With Chromie time ending, you could be a level 49 fighting a level 49 mob, and then you hit level 50, and you’re fighting a level 25 mob (because Chromie time level scaling stops, and the zones go back to their non-Chromie-time defaults). (Actually, what sounds like will happen is Chromie tells you “the world needs you, time to move on,” you get teleported to the capital city, and started in Shadowlands.)

I want to stay in Chromie time, I want to complete the stories, I want to keep things challenging-ish, and I want to see the endgame areas.

Some people want to complete the stories AND still have challenging content.

5 Likes

Ah, that’s fair. Yeah, I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t just allow you to turn of XP in that case. That’s silly.

I’m hoping that (1) the blocking of XP cancelling Chromie time was just an experiment they were trying (it’s PTR, after all) and (2) they’ll allow Chromie time-style scaling up to level 50 (because that’s where the endgame starts).

You’ve got some valid concerns. Rare for a forum post, but it checks out. And…I’m with you. I was actually looking forward to doing the WoD khadgar questline again, ngl I had fun with him. XD

1 Like

I wish the MoP and WoD legendary quests hadn’t been excised. I’d like to see a truncated version (maybe with different-colored cloaks, so the REAL legendary grinders got to be able to strut).

1 Like

Got you.

Something to consider to avoid EXP locking is to plan to hit an expac’s end game earlier and leave enough room before reaching 49. Though I’m also not quite sure how the new leveling system will determine if you are “end game content” eligible. Do you have to be level 50, or as long as you start the end game quest line, you can continue with Chromie Time too.

Using MoP as an example, someone in the PTR managed to complete all of Jade Forest and part of a second zone before they were kicked out of Chromie time.

It’s just like leveling from 90-100 now on Live, you don’t have enough time to get into the old quest lines if that’s what you want to do. It’s all rush rush rush, and get to the current content. (I already have eleven characters ready for Shadowlands, more or less – need the pre-patch gearing to push them to SL iLvl 100 – and three more that are close to it. I have enough characters to experience current content, dagnabbit.)

Not even play endgame but complete every zone in a given xpac. I have no reason to speed level a character. I have a 120 (60) of every class and I’m sitting on 2 boosts.

What stops you from going back and doing the quests in that xpac at level 50 outside of Chromie Time?

Lack of challenge. In Chromie time, the mobs (same level), minions (one level down), and elites (one or two levels above) scale with you.

When you leave Chromie time, each xpac has its own level range. So, for instance (and just grabbing numbers here for comparison), if you were enjoying playing through Outland (Burning Crusade), you’d find yourself fighting level 28 mobs, instead of level 50 ones.

It’d be exactly like going through legacy xpacs on Live, which isn’t what I wanted. I wanted to be able to go through legacy xpacs when the mobs were still relevant AND manage to complete the xpac before leveling out of it.

1 Like

So where do you go then when the expac is complete but you aren’t level 50 to go start SL?

I mean I get what you are saying though.

Currently, with the way they’ve progressively increased leveling XP through various xpacs, plus the further increase of leveling XP in SL, you’d be level 50 after about 1.5 zones (four or five zones if you did post-Cata “Classic”). (E.g., you’d finish 1.5 zones out of 9 in Legion, or 1.5 zones out of 6 or so in Mists.) Even if they scaled it down, there are a LOT of quests in those leveling zones.

Getting to level 50 isn’t a problem. Stopping at level 50, and still have Chromie-time scaling isn’t the problem.

Right I mean in the wish of yours that I quoted. You want to be able to finish an expac before getting to level 50. Then what do you do to get to level 50? And everyone is going to get there at a different pace because some poeple will just do main quests, others will do some dungeons, side quests, etc.

I’m just wondering what your solution is. Option to just stay in Chromie Time at level 50 with XP disabled?