I'm sad about the Covenants

That’s the reason I chose Night Fae, for the most part. Research stated that NF was best for the hunter class. I also like the gear with its nature theme and organic shapes. It looks like something a Night Elf would wear. I have a full set in my transmog rotation. Having completed the campaign however, there was nothing about the NF that caused me to identify with them. In fact, I would say it had the opposite effect.

I am finally getting around to leveling my Orc hunter and getting him to level 60. I did the butterflies and sparkles on my NE, but can’t do that for my Orc. So I chose Necrolord for him. It doesn’t matter if Necrolord isn’t the best, but it just “feels right” for an Orc. I really don’t have any plans to go through the covenant and get the gear, but I might change my mind. Right now, I just want to get him to 60 so he doesn’t get behind. He was my main for many years before I made this character my main.

1 Like

I have a necro priest, i love her.
I have a necrolord paladin, i love her
I have a revendreath rogue, i love him
I have a kyrian paladin, I nlw wish her to be on revendreath, it makes more dense rp wise.
I have a ton toons that i dont know where they belong, like a monk, those afterlifes dosent seem like, a good dit for a monk.

I find that the sistrm rp wise has too little choice, you ither are a warmongering an evil person, a good slave, or a tree huginh bastard.

Which ends up sucking so much of, if not all, of the meaning out of that choice.

1 Like

The same can be said about classes, but it looks like people are still playing and completing content with underperforming specs :woman_shrugging:

2 Things:

1 - Covenants are an ADDITIONAL layer on top of classes.

2 - Classes ARE easily swappable without a 2 week time-gate. If I want to prepare for guild prog through mythic raiding and I know 1 class is solid for a good chunk of bosses, but not so much for the rest, and there’s another class that complements those 2 sets, I can level both of those and swap freely - picking up where I left off and never having to deal with a 2 week time gate. This is exactly what players are asking for in terms of covenants - let us earn the rewards, renown, soulbinds, etc. for each covenant, but then let us swap freely.

You can do the same with covenants

Pretty much. There are a couple of combinations that work out great: Ardenweald (any night elf or druid/hunter) Kyrian (Paladin/Holy/Disc Priest) Maldraxxus (any Undead or DK character, possibly rogue) Revendreth (Warlock/SPriest, possible Blood DK or rogue).

As far as RP concerns go there are a lot of races/classes that don’t quite fall into any of the covenants stories or styles. That might just be a sympton of the limitations of the SL story/lore but might also have to do with time/resource limitations of the developers.

1 Like

Sadly, you can’t. there’s a 2 week time-gate. VERY far from the freedom we have with classes.

1 Like

Still need to level and gear a new class before you can swap to it…same goes for covenants

Exactly. People don’t mind leveling each of the covenants - they just want to be able to swap between them as freely as we can with classes.

1 Like

But you can’t swap freely between classes!! I can’t say “hmm, boomies are doing really well right now, I’ll swap to that.” I have to first level a druid, then I have to gear it, ect, ect. You can’t swap classes once you’ve chosen one. Covenants are (by intentional design) a similar choice. And if people are content with being suboptimal in their class choice, why is it so hard to do the same with a suboptimal covenant?

And by extension, if you’re ok with leveling and gearing another class so you can swap between them, why arnt you ok with doing the same for covenants?

Yes you can.

If I’ve already leveled a boomie, I can swap to it freely without a time-gate.

What we’re asking for is the same thing with covenants - if we’ve “leveled” (through renown) multiple covenants on a character, we want to be able to swap freely without a time-gate JUST.LIKE.Classes.

We don’t have a problem leveling through each covenant - it’s the 2 week time-gate to pick up where we left off that’s the issue.

1 Like

IF you’ve leveled one. If you haven’t, you can’t swap between the two. Just like with covenants, you can’t just willy nilly swap to whatever you want, whenever you want. If you’re ok with leveling and gearing another toon to swap to another class, you should be ok with leveling and gearing another toon to swap to another covenant.

While that sounds like the most idiotic and obnoxious approach - I believe thats the point.

More characters wastes more players time through redundancy.

I think having to level through each covenant is more than enough. Having to level multiple copies of the same character, that’s on a whole separate level.

Having to level AND GEAR another toon is where your point breaks.

That’s not at all the same because of the duplicity in having 2 characters of the same class.

Doing that just for access to a second covenant that’s going away after this expansion? That’s ridiculous. Classes that you level now still retain those levels and gear in all future expansions.

1 Like

Way to miss the point. Yes, that would be insane to do, but you have to do it to swap classes. And (for better or worse) convents are intended to be similar choice. I just don’t understand why the covenant choice is so incredibly awful to so many players because they absolutely must use a particular covenant to be effective but those same people arnt complaining because they absolutely must play balance or fire.

But as noted above - with classes, there isn’t that kind of redundancy.

For casual players, it’s not necessarily about being “effective” or “optimal”. It’s about being able to just try things out for ourselves. The restrictions don’t really let us do that - so we’re left going down whatever path wowhead tells us to go while also tying us to one type of content or spec when we’d like to play more. That becomes incredibly boring.

Even when we would like to be effective for our raid team - we end up not being able to explore the other covenants because we won’t be able to change back in time to offer our raid team the best we have to offer.

Overall, more casuals than top 1%ers get punished for the restrictions and no one really even benefits. Players that want to stick with their first choice could still do so if the system was opened up.

1 Like

I like that any class can join any covenant - but the restrictions ruin it on so many levels, especially when it comes to RP.

Not really. More casuals than the top elitists would rather just be able to swap around for fun than for “what’s best”.

At some point, your ilvl gets high enough where you can complete most content regardless of what covenant you are. Being able to change them freely helps keep the game from becoming stale.

Yep. Covenant choice should have been purely cosmetic. Or not a restrictive choice at all but rather have free access to all the covenants and their cosmetic rewards.

The choice doesn’t even make sense lorewise OR gameplaywise. Lorewise no one chooses, the Arbiter reads their soul and sends them away. Ok, sure, Arbiter is kinda out of commission right now, but still.

As for gameplay, we help all 4 covenants while leveling up, we garner good relations and are well trusted by them… then we’re put on the spot and forced to choose one covenant. We make said arbitrary choice, and the other covenants IMMEDIATELY spurn you for not picking them. What is this, Highschool??? To top it all off, we are then, on a daily basis, sent to aid the other covenants, and they acknowledge us for our efforts in helping them… but still refuses to have anything to do with you because you didn’t choose them, no matter what your reputation with them is. And THEN… if you want to change covenant, you practically have to get down on your hands and knees and beg for their forgiveness, regardless of how much you’ve done for them, because you had the audacity to not choose them when you were FORCED to choose between 4 covenants!!!

The whole system is just stupid, even before you look at the clear and obvious balance problems

7 Likes