I'm a Solo Player in your MMo, No I won't go play Skyrim

Can you provide some data on that? I’d love to see the numbers from Blizzard on Legion and BFA raid participation.

1 Like

If you look up the achievements for BfA they represent 30 - 45% of the population (including LFR). Those were what were quoted in another thread, I think that’s percent of all 120s.

Skyrim and WoW raiding have–like–ZERO–in common. I’m not sure why you’d think this. There is nothing in WoW that feels anything like Skyrim. It’s photo-realism vs. animation style. It’s deep personal character development vs. external storylines. It’s intensely solo play versus intensely team-oriented play.

They are polar opposites.

I have played WoW both as a solo player and as a raider at various levels of difficulty/intensity.

WoW has never been designed exclusively for the social player or the casual player. It has always included elements designed for each.

2 Likes

The person I quoted was holding it as an ideal of RPG play, but what a lot of people are saying here is they chose WoW for a different style of play. Why do raiders keep doing that?

1 Like

It’s MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
Not MMOPGR - Massive Multiplayer Online Player Group Required

Mulitplayer simply means it can be accessed simultaneously by X amount of players.

8 Likes

Well, raiders are just people who play video games.

I like raiding in WoW with 15-20 of my friends in coordinated exercises of problem solving. I like racing on bikes in MarioKart. I like meticulously telling myself a story and creating a daily life around a heroic character in Skyrim. I like solving puzzles in Tomb Raider-style games. I enjoy the storytelling in RPG’s like Witcher and Assassin’s Creed.

Raiders, like most gamers, like to play video games.

Edited to add: I think the fundamental problem in the WoW community is the need to cast everyone into opposing teams. I have been both a raider and a solo player in WoW. It’s not an either/or, and there are no fundamental opposing forces at work there. Millions of people have played WoW, and they have discovered between them many, many ways to enjoy the game. It’s no one thing. It’s an open world MMORPG with many possible paths through the content.

There’s no us v. them involved, and the game has been carefully designed to include people of varying play styles. They are better at it sometimes than they are at others, but there have always been ways for group-players to get involved and ways for solo players to enjoy themselves and find rewards outside of the dungeon and raid systems.

I’m baffled by this entire thread, really.

3 Likes

I think the benthic system is a good solo player option.
But I do think it can be improved.
For exemple… why stop at 425? Grind those pearls are easy at first but the gear itself cost more and more to upgrade.
It should keep going to whatever max ilvl a raid can give, but… and here is the thing, increase in manapearls numbers.
Most of solo players I know play with warmode off, so ilvl basically does not metter that much.
I think a lot would play with warmode on if they could, even under some intense grind, keep geting better ilvls.
Idk… it does not matter that much to me, just a idea.

1 Like

I enjoy a lot of console games, but RPGs were always best served on the PC. That’s part of why WoW has a lot of solo players, that and some cultural issues with the player base and design.

The reason for us vs them is some raiders are calling for the removal of solo gearing options. That and the misanthropes who think the only reason people don’t raid is they’re less skilled.

2 Likes

This topic is my spirit topic.

Yeah, I just ignore those people. Ha ha.

Raiding can be hard as you move up the difficulty levels, and there is a sense of accomplishment that comes from it. I love that part.

Having said that, I’ve never cared whether my raid gear was better than someone else’s. I don’t care what other people have. Honestly. I just want the best gear I can get to do the content I want to do. If my gear lets me get it done in my raids, I’m happy, and if some guy can gear up by fishing his way to 425 ilvl (I love fishing in WoW), it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

3 Likes

That’s cause you’re one of the good ones.

3 Likes

aww…you made me sniffle. <3

2 Likes

Those are amazing ideas.
And shows in a very nice way how solo players think.

1 Like

Dunno I’m excited for Baldur gate 3 now, age of empires 2 definitive collection and remastered Warcraft 3 if blizzard ever releases it.I mean really if they continue with leveling a piece of gear with azurite with crappy replacements for tier gear that also look like crap and delayed pathfinder for one year–three strikes they are out.Absolutely nuts right now to spend all that time one class when you finally feel powerful,you know what’s coming next–class nerfed to ground and that means level a whole new necklace again;no more,they are fired.

1 Like

So you don’t have actual data from Blizzard, but rather data scraped by a third party website?

Posts like these always make me wonder if MMOs are causing anti-social behavior, and/or psychological issue.

So many people seem to have similar stories; Used to play hardcore, had loads of friends, played hours and hours. Now we hide on the fringe, avoiding people, and our friends lists are empty. NO this is not everyone, but it’s numerous people, and I really have to wonder why. Is it a long term detriment?

MMO is a generic term that is a very broad meaning. Is WoW a MMO? Yes. Has WoW always been a raid and dungeon focused game, that didn’t cater it’s end game to solo play? Yes.

Why do you need gear that is on par with raid gear if all you do is face roll WQs ? The rewards are appropriate for the content, sorry to burst your bubble.

1 Like

You can play solo just dont expect the game to cater to you.

Much love to my fellow solo players out there. I hope you’re having a beautiful weekend!

does the solo strut

2 Likes